Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Alabama

Handing the towel is so there is no miscommunication as to who is subbing in for who. It would be really embarrassing to end up with 4 on the floor or 6 on the floor.

I'm with you on slapping every hand on the bench. Even more so, I don't like giving fives when you're going up and down the court (drives me nuts when LVs do it). I personally didn't like anyone touching me in between free throws. Okay teammate, don't break my concentration on free throw number 2, right?
LOL glad to understand the towel handoff, but it seems slightly over the top. In a simplier time, just saying "You're out" to whoever you replaced was enough. I guess that's too harsh, let the towel do the talking.

Agree about the mid ft touching. Ditto for being butt patted by the guards behind me. At least the hand tappers along the lane are right there within reach. The backcourt guards do a sudden dash in, stop on a dime, pat, then sharply cut back to position. Someone could get hurt lol!

Alot of the ritual around fts seem weird and excessive to me in general. What is being said in those super antimated pre ft huddles, and what determines who gets to lead the discussion?

Last edited:
Hollingshead is vastly superior to Striplin defensively.. Striplin is a solid player and yes she sets good screens. But her defense is just not very good. Hollingshead's defense today was preventing her player from even taking shots and her help defense was also good. So my evaluation is based on all facets of the game. Hollingshead is more inconsistent though

You can probably attribute a lot of that to hear ACL and her having a shortened freshman season. She was trying to play while still recovering from her injury. Now we are seeing her in a groove

well, it was Duke, but just as disappointing
Yes I noticed that, but 25 yrs later, it still hurts too much to even correct anyone, especially Mudcat.

Yellowstone spoilers?
LOL, our guess was placing orders for post game door dash. Maybe while watching Yellowstone,

Yes I noticed that, but 25 yrs later, it still hurts too much to even correct anyone, especially Mudcat.

LOL, our guess was placing orders for post game door dash. Maybe while watching Yellowstone,

Can't be Yellowstone spoilers since nothing has happened this season.

Last edited:

Flatware or place settings…guaranteed.

Reactions: glv98
Handing the towel off to the player coming out makes sure they can verify whom they're guarding in a man-to-man defense.
Really? How so? The towel moreso than just saying "You've got #42"? And what if they're in a zone? The towel changes modes?

I wonder if the same mgr who (use to) fill in the scorebook is the one responsible for towel stack placement and monitoring.

LOL, I've clearly overthought all this. But I think the whole ritual is way overthought as well.

Reactions: alexvol
Much, much better team offense and very little hero ball. Jordy was pressing a little early but then concentrated on finding teammates (9 assists!). Rickea moved very well off the ball and teammates found her in the sweet spots. I did see once when Rickea was double-teamed that she passed up a wide-open Justine (and subsequently missed the shot), but that was an exception. Mostly a very efficient offense with cutting, screens, picks...very fun to watch.

The fourth quarter lapse was much different from Stanford when we just started missing shots. Yesterday just seemed like goofing off, careless, lack of situational awareness...almost like the game was in the bag and we just thought we could do no wrong. Scrimmage mentality.

The time out seemed to get the focus back and reestablished a comfortable lead. It happens. Teams get a little overconfident with a big lead and try to do too much. Use it as a learning tool. Got to put teams away and keep them there, especially on the road. The clock is your friend in that situation; use it.

Much, much better team offense and very little hero ball. Jordy was pressing a little early but then concentrated on finding teammates (9 assists!). Rickea moved very well off the ball and teammates found her in the sweet spots. I did see once when Rickea was double-teamed that she passed up a wide-open Justine (and subsequently missed the shot), but that was an exception. Mostly a very efficient offense with cutting, screens, picks...very fun to watch.

The fourth quarter lapse was much different from Stanford when we just started missing shots. Yesterday just seemed like goofing off, careless, lack of situational awareness...almost like the game was in the bag and we just thought we could do no wrong. Scrimmage mentality.

The time out seemed to get the focus back and reestablished a comfortable lead. It happens. Teams get a little overconfident with a big lead and try to do too much. Use it as a learning tool. Got to put teams away and keep them there, especially on the road. The clock is your friend in that situation; use it.
Discrediting Brink in the 4th, Bama doesn’t have a Brink type player

Have seen that a couple of times lately. Swear to the skies I'm not trying to start anything, but might Jordy feel better early if the best scorer in the SEC was on the floor with her? Just sayin, that might be one of the downsides to the current arrangement.

I dunno we gotta ask her about the games rickea didn't play to start off and she had a hot start as well then. I promise i'm not trying to start anything just like you. What i am saying is something was going on and it may not have had to do anything with basketball or maybe she was just feeling off.

Really? How so? The towel moreso than just saying "You've got #42"? And what if they're in a zone? The towel changes modes?

I wonder if the same mgr who (use to) fill in the scorebook is the one responsible for towel stack placement and monitoring.

LOL, I've clearly overthought all this. But I think the whole ritual is way overthought as well.

I'm just guessing. But the exchange does slow them down and make sure there's some contact with the teammate. It wouldn't be far-fetched for a tired or angry player (mad about being called for a foul) to come off without clearly communicating to her replacement, especially when multiple subs come in.

As far as zone, don't know unless they're reminding the sub which area they're guarding. Just speculating. I coached middle school girls who sometimes got so excited to get in that they forgot to check in at scorer's table (to the refs' continual amusement).

game was in the bag and we just thought we could do no wrong. Scrimmage mentality.
Exactly. Not great, espec for the old school "Pat would run em til they puke" crowd. But the game was in the bag, and the LVs had done very little wrong. They were in no way putting the game in jeopardy. Give them a break. When was the last time they were that position? Personally, it felt great.
I dunno we gotta ask her about the games rickea didn't play to start off and she had a hot start as well then. I promise i'm not trying to start anything just like you. What i am saying is something was going on and it may not have had to do anything with basketball or maybe she was just feeling off.
I think it's as simple as JH is not a consistent shooter, as she's said herself several times. We, and she, never know if the shot's going to be falling or not. Lots of other scoring options now though, and lots that JH is very consistent at.

If her shot wasn't falling or she made a turnover, Freshman Jordy might have continued to press. Senior Jordy just reaches into her bag of tricks and says, "I know lots of ways to beat you." And she'll penetrate and then drop off a soft dime for an easy layup, or draw a shooting foul, or kick it out for a three. She'll crash the boards, tip away passes, pick pockets, or whatever it takes to win...because she's that versatile. She's the Lady Vols' Swiss Army knife.

I declare, yesterday I saw Jordy reach back behind her head to corral a loose ball/long rebound near mid-court. It looked to be out of reach, but she went all Bionic Woman or Stretch Armstrong to pull it in. Just freaky!

Last edited:
You can probably attribute a lot of that to hear ACL and her having a shortened freshman season. She was trying to play while still recovering from her injury. Now we are seeing her in a groove

Franklin, not Hollingshead, had the ACL tear,. Jillian had a minor procedure but did not miss significance time because of it. From her profile story on GOvols24/:

Last season, Hollingshead played in 20 total games for Georgia and missed a stretch because of mononucleosis and then was hindered by knee swelling. She returned in March in the NCAA tourney and scored 15 points against Dayton. The scope showed no significant damage to her knee, and Hollingshead is working now on strength training.

“I got off my crutches two weeks early,” she said. “I haven’t had any pain since the surgery. I was playing through injury that whole year.”

They returned 2 players who torched us for 27 and 23 last year ... Brinks did not score that much against us

She impacted the game for us by being on the bench in foul trouble, she took over the 4th when they ran away with it.

Hollingshead is vastly superior to Striplin defensively.. Striplin is a solid player and yes she sets good screens. But her defense is just not very good. Hollingshead's defense today was preventing her player from even taking shots and her help defense was also good. So my evaluation is based on all facets of the game. Hollingshead is more inconsistent though

To the eye test, I would tend to agree, but as I posted elsewhere, the stats pretty clearly show that Striplin has been better (other than fouling):
  • Steals per 40 min: Striplin 2.1, Hollingshead 1.1
  • Steal %: Striplin 2.5%, Hollingshead 1.3%
  • Blocks per 40 min: Striplin 2.8, Hollingshead 1.9
  • Block %: Striplin 6.9%, Hollingshead 4.6%
  • Defensive rebounds per 40 min: Striplin 6.5, Hollingshead 6.1
  • Defensive rebound %: Striplin 16.1%, Hollingshead 15.3%
  • Defensive win shares: Striplin 0.5, Hollingshead 0.3
  • Player defensive rating (lower is better): Striplin 80.0, Hollingshead 88.2
  • Foul %: Striplin 7.7%, Hollingshead 5.4%

VN Store

Back