Game Thread: Lady Vols 77 vs Florida Gators 67

Crazy how turnovers have not been as bad this season with the recent stretch of us doing very well with TO's then last night we get 23 and it becomes the topic of issue again in a WIN...eyeroll
Wait, you find it crazy that when t.o.s got out of hand again we talked about it again? Seems pretty normal to me.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The idea that Tennessee is over loaded with talent (the source of the pre-season hype) is confusing potential with players' current performance level. No doubt that Justine and Jillian have talent (i.e. big upsides) but they are, for now, project players who need a lot development. While they are going to make some contributions this season, it likely will be next year before they are consistent impact players.

Franklin is a hard working, undersized post coming off a major knee injury. There are just some physical limits in terms of how much impact she can make game in and game out. Let's call her a very high caliber role players but not a game changer.

When the season started, the LVs only had three proven top flight players, Horston, Jackson, and Key and health issues have taken down Key. Since Key was sick and underperforming this year, people have forgotten what a force she was last season. The team has been missing her presence and our post play has been sketchy in the big games.

Puckett, Darby, Suarez, Striplin are fairly solid role players that can complement stars but they are not overwhelmingly more talented than other role players on top 20 rosters. Walker and Powell are also role players though Powell has potential to be more than that. Whether her potential fully materializes this season is an open question.

So, a LOT rides on Horston and Jackson staying healthy. It is very hard to see how the team could be successful without those two.

On the lack of assists and isolation plays, you take what a team gives you. Florida could not handle Jackson or the 2nd half Jordan or keep the LVs off the boards. Passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds would have only aided Florida.
Excellent spot on post. Lots of good players on our team some with big upside. Two very talented impact players plus one former impact player who is no longer an impact player because of injury, but still a solid contributor plus an impact player from last year out for season. A couple of our young players may become impact players, just not this year.

Last edited:
I did/do love Rennia, but no, I don't think she's close to RJ or the other super elite LV scorers. Probably due to her lost years with Holly but she never developed real consistency IMO.
I don't agree . Rennia was a three pt sniper and knew the baseline , she also had other good scorers on the same team. This during that messed up holly to Kellie year. Rennia could have gotten a chip with Dawn if she wanted too , but stayed with her baddda self on that orange brick road.

But I'm curious about who these ' other super elite Lady Vols' scorers' are?

Coach I do not understand KJH’s use of her timeouts, it make me think of Holly all over again.

td,, I know you are the furthest thing from a troll and I respect you.
it is scary
I want to support coach K fully, but I will remain true to who I am and what I proclaim myself to be....A coach!

The one thing I said consistently about Holly was her team didn't win because of her, instead, in spite of her.
I felt a twinge of that feeling in Q3 this past game

I sure hope that feeling is/was an anomaly.

Reactions: teacherdean
tess passes better than some one to admit. her defence keeps improving. and she will move off the three line hit two now. if walker and powell would worry about hiting open shoter and not drive to bucket and try to shot over the trees non point guard passing would not be needed as bad.

I agree mc
I have seen valid improvement in her defense and also in her offense, she has pumpfaked, drawn the defender and dribble past them into an elbow jumper...something she did not do last year

No,,, Tess would not be in MY starting five
(Jazzy P, Jordan H, Rickea J, Sarah P and (Jillian/Karoline depending on the opponent's big)
But she would be my first goto sniper

Crazy how turnovers have not been as bad this season with the recent stretch of us doing very well with TO's then last night we get 23 and it becomes the topic of issue again in a WIN...eyeroll
agree xtp
there is a focus on minimizing the number of to's as stated by the JH during the presser (she mentioned "valuing possessions" and referenced that some of the to's were calls like 3-seconds.
It IS a focus
It is obvious
and only brought up now by those who wants to bring up old news

I don't agree . Rennia was a three pt sniper and knew the baseline , she also had other good scorers on the same team. This during that messed up holly to Kellie year. Rennia could have gotten a chip with Dawn if she wanted too , but stayed with her baddda self on that orange brick road.

In my time of fandom, only Holdzclaw and Parker were those kind of consistent, not to be denied scorers. Before, in the way, way back, maybe Bridget Gordon? RJ reminds me most of a young Chamique, only RJ has a better body. That mid range game!
and only brought up now by those who wants to bring up old news
Or who want to discuss last night's game? I just don't get how discussing t.o.s on a 23 t.o. night after a very good low t.o. stretch is unusual, surprising, or naughty.

Excellent spot on post. Lots of good players on our team some with big upside. Two very talented impact players plus one former impact player who is no longer an impact player because of injury, but still a solid contributor plus an impact player from last year out for season. A couple of our young players may become impact players, just not this year.

Sad that we’re at the point where it’s “always next year.” My oh my how far we’ve fallen.

Sad that we’re at the point where it’s “always next year.” My oh my how far we’ve fallen.

Wrong conclusion. Saying that the LVs have some stars in the making but they need a year to mature is not "always next year". that is just the reality of underclassmen.

Horston and Jackson and quality support cast is enough to get back to the Final four.

Would like to weigh in on the idea of judging LVs players that are the closest to Candace, it seems that RJ is by far above the rest. She’s so smooth and the shot selection is great. She’s not getting any love from the refs and part of that is this nonsensical crap of not having her start. However, she still is a bucket. In the midrange game. Everyone says don’t foul the jump shooter for a reason. But she’s money from there. I’d love to see her play with Candace. Go to Chicago at 5!!! Maybe it’s good Kelly is sitting her on the bench, coaches will sleep on her. James Wade, you better be watching!!!

Immediately after the las roost, I think of who the best LV player might actually be. According to advanced stats it was by far and away the best LV is also the best of all time. That’s Catchings by the way. (However, that was before Candace peered the Sky to their Championship. Advanced stats might say different now.). Back to the point, Horston may be the most Catch like player out there. Which would make her head and shoulders above the rest that have come through since Parker. Hopi g Horston comes to the Wings!!!

you are drawing a conclusion from one of our 3 most ardent negavols

right on cue
Forget next year. If Kellie can't make a deep March run with what she has now, it's never happening...
#1 negavol

@Majors will show up soon

Yes, the definition is clearer.

Plus/Minus (PM): The PM stat is "Plus/Minus", and reflects how the team did while that player is on the court. If a player has a +5 PM, it means his team outscored the opponent by 5 points while he was on the court. If he has a -3, then the opposing team outscored his team by 3 points while he was on the court.

I guess I am to old because this stat is really meaningless to me even though I know a lot of people refer to this stat. Unless there is something I am missing.
If I understand it correctly, let’s say a team like Troy is playing South Carolina. Their (Troy’s) star player plays entire time and team (Troy) is only down 2 points when she gets injured and she misses rest of game. Troy then gets outscored by 25 points. The stat line for the star player is -2 but if another player comes in the game for just 5 seconds before half time and another player on her team makes a shot from half court, then the player that just came in gets a +3 rating for the game.
Or a S Carolina sub comes in and contributes nothing but they outscore Troy by 25, the sub gets a +25 rating?
Am I understanding this correctly? If so then it seems like you would have to know all the circumstances of the game before it means something (but not much) IMO.

Last edited:
In my time of fandom, only Holdzclaw and Parker were those kind of consistent, not to be denied scorers. Before, in the way, way back, maybe Bridget Gordon? RJ reminds me most of a young Chamique, only RJ has a better body. That mid range game!

Or who want to discuss last night's game? I just don't get how discussing t.o.s on a 23 t.o. night after a very good low t.o. stretch is unusual, surprising, or naughty.
parker and chamique were defeners who take away other team scorer and great rebounders to. both could drive to the basket had smooth jumpers both were best defener on team or not far behind. both were turnover low players

Reactions: mcannon1
I guess I am to old because this stat is really meaningless to me even though I know a lot of people refer to this stat. Unless there is something I am missing.
If I understand it correctly, let’s say a team like Troy is playing South Carolina. Their (Troy’s) star player plays entire time and team (Troy) is only down 2 points when she gets injured and she misses rest of game. Troy then gets outscored by 25 points. The stat line for the star player is -2 but if another player comes in the game for just 5 seconds before half time and another player on her team makes a shot from half court, then the player that just came in gets a +3 rating for the game.
Or a S Carolina sub comes in and contributes nothing but they outscore Troy by 25, the sub gets a +25 rating?
Am I understanding this correctly? If so then it seems like you would have to know all the circumstances of the game before it means something (but not much) IMO.

It's not a perfect stat, but it is an interesting one. It can tell you some things about a player's value that might not necessarily show up in a box score. It's also more relevant taken over multiple games rather than a single game, but single game plus minus can still be interesting.

I looked over a lot of games and when Jasmine Powell is in the lineup we always seem to be winning. I doubt that means much but were always in positive winning numbers when she is in the game. Even more so than Horston or Jackson.

Yes. Needs to be viewed and referenced with a large amount of context, and can easily be manipulated to the point of disinformation.

There is top 15 talent on this team, and I believe higher, the trick is getting it to gel and producing the right chemistry.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
There is top 15 talent on this team, and I believe higher, the trick is getting it to gel and producing the right chemistry.
Just not getting what we need out of the point guard position more than any other. The three players player the four are doing an average job and the wings have been fabulous. We really need the point guards on this team to step up to another level. It would make a huge difference in this team.

Parh
Would like to weigh in on the idea of judging LVs players that are the closest to Candace, it seems that RJ is by far above the rest. She’s so smooth and the shot selection is great. She’s not getting any love from the refs and part of that is this nonsensical crap of not having her start. However, she still is a bucket. In the midrange game. Everyone says don’t foul the jump shooter for a reason. But she’s money from there. I’d love to see her play with Candace. Go to Chicago at 5!!! Maybe it’s good Kelly is sitting her on the bench, coaches will sleep on her. James Wade, you better be watching!!!
Parker and Catch for me. They made their teammates better

In terms of all round games, I also think Rennia has the edge over Rickea. If you go back through the archives, Rennia had some absolutely monster games and game winning shots. The only flaw in her resume is that during big tournament games, she tended to have her worst games of the season. We will see but Rickea looks to be the kind of player who lives for those clutch moments.

VN Store

Back