Game Thread: Lady Vols 77 vs Florida Gators 67

+- numbers are very simple A +- of 3 means that during the time you were in game your team outscored the opponent by 3 points. A+- of-5 means that while you were in game theoppinent outscored your team by 5points. If a player plays the entire game then the +- will be whatever the game was won or lost by. Jackson and Horston only had +- of 3 each. This is thought provoking because many players had much higher ÷- . When a team wins by 10 and you had a -5 efficiency rating that is not good. The efficiency rating reflects how all 5 players on the floor are doing as a unit while you are in the game. not just the other 4 players. It can be an eye opening stat which must be considered.
Yes, the definition is clearer.

Plus/Minus (PM): The PM stat is "Plus/Minus", and reflects how the team did while that player is on the court. If a player has a +5 PM, it means his team outscored the opponent by 5 points while he was on the court. If he has a -3, then the opposing team outscored his team by 3 points while he was on the court.

That is why Darby plays so much she doesn't turn it over and you can't pack the paint against Tennessee. I haven't really even seen teams trying that against Tennessee anymore maybe Wofford a little and they got scalded. We got the shooters for anyone that wants to pack it in.
tess passes better than some one to admit. her defence keeps improving. and she will move off the three line hit two now. if walker and powell would worry about hiting open shoter and not drive to bucket and try to shot over the trees non point guard passing would not be needed as bad.

That doesn't speak well of our coach...
Players got to take ownership of what they have been taught. If they can do that for three quarters they can do it for four. Not saying the coach is blameless but she is not rebounding the ball or making the plays it has to be consistent effort. I do think she needs to push a little more toughness for the entire 40 minutes and I did see some improvement in that direction last night. After they took off the first half of the fourth quarter they regrouped and took over the game again. That was great to see on the road.

tess passes better than some one to admit. her defence keeps improving. and she will move off the three line hit two now. if walker and powell would worry about hiting open shoter and not drive to bucket and try to shot over the trees non point guard passing would not be needed as bad.
She is certainly a much improved player over last season. I have no problem with the minutes she is playing she helps players like Horston and Jackson get to the basket just because teams can't clog the paint. She is averaging 3 rebounds per game this season. She probably runs an efficiency below the 14.5 which is what you want out of every player, but she has certainly been an asset this season. She has 79 career threes will certainly go over 100 this season. I also see some improvement in her being able to create her own shot and yes her defense is better than it was last year by far.

Tennessee has so much more talent on their roster that they can afford to lose players more than a team like Florida. If anything, Florida did a good job keeping it as close as they did with so many of their offensive weapons missing.

A win is a win, but that was a largely uninspiring effort. It was a lot of great one-on-one and offensive rebound work by Rickea, but there was way too much standing around from the other players.

As for Florida not sure why they are not trying to run there offense thru 6-6 transfer Kyle ?. She should be a double double every game.

Yes, the definition is clearer.

Plus/Minus (PM): The PM stat is "Plus/Minus", and reflects how the team did while that player is on the court. If a player has a +5 PM, it means his team outscored the opponent by 5 points while he was on the court. If he has a -3, then the opposing team outscored his team by 3 points while he was on the court.
It is a stat that coaches look at and evaluate. PM can be evaluated in finer detail, e.g if Horston and Jackson are on the floor together for 15 minutes what is the PM for those 15 minutes. Any fan can also do such an analysis by doing the detailed work of going through the play by play records. Sometimes the PM can be glaring, for good or for bad.

Last edited:
It is a stat that coaches look at and evaluate. PM can be evaluated in finer detail, e.g if Horston and Jackson are on the floor together for 15 minutes what is the PM for those 15 minutes. Any fan can also do such an analysis by doing the detailed work of going through the play by play records. Sometimes the PM can be glaring, for good or for bad. /QUOTE]

Alabama net 14 lady vols net 18 florida net 80 s going by net bama harder game than florida
Just looked at the Net. TN now 19, AL now 17. Guessing we dropped a spot after our win, because teams that beat us, Indiana and Virginia Tech, lost. Still, AL is one we need to win, as they all are.

Last edited:
As for Florida not sure why they are not trying to run there offense thru 6-6 transfer Kyle ?. She should be a double double every game.

Their new coach seems to really be intrigued by good guard play.

In recruiting, I would use that against her.

A big doesn't need to play for Florida.

Last edited:
Tennessee has so much more talent on their roster that they can afford to lose players more than a team like Florida. If anything, Florida did a good job keeping it as close as they did with so many of their offensive weapons missing.

A win is a win, but that was a largely uninspiring effort. It was a lot of great one-on-one and offensive rebound work by Rickea, but there was way too much standing around from the other players.

The idea that Tennessee is over loaded with talent (the source of the pre-season hype) is confusing potential with players' current performance level. No doubt that Justine and Jillian have talent (i.e. big upsides) but they are, for now, project players who need a lot development. While they are going to make some contributions this season, it likely will be next year before they are consistent impact players.

Franklin is a hard working, undersized post coming off a major knee injury. There are just some physical limits in terms of how much impact she can make game in and game out. Let's call her a very high caliber role players but not a game changer.

When the season started, the LVs only had three proven top flight players, Horston, Jackson, and Key and health issues have taken down Key. Since Key was sick and underperforming this year, people have forgotten what a force she was last season. The team has been missing her presence and our post play has been sketchy in the big games.

Puckett, Darby, Suarez, Striplin are fairly solid role players that can complement stars but they are not overwhelmingly more talented than other role players on top 20 rosters. Walker and Powell are also role players though Powell has potential to be more than that. Whether her potential fully materializes this season is an open question.

So, a LOT rides on Horston and Jackson staying healthy. It is very hard to see how the team could be successful without those two.

On the lack of assists and isolation plays, you take what a team gives you. Florida could not handle Jackson or the 2nd half Jordan or keep the LVs off the boards. Passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds would have only aided Florida.

The idea that Tennessee is over loaded with talent (the source of the pre-season hype) is confusing potential with players' current performance level. No doubt that Justine and Jillian have talent (i.e. big upsides) but they are, for now, project players who need a lot development. While they are going to make some contributions this season, it likely will be next year before they are consistent impact players.

Franklin is a hard working, undersized post coming off a major knee injury. There are just some physical limits in terms of how much impact she can make game in and game out. Let's call her a very high caliber role players but not a game changer.

When the season started, the LVs only had three proven top flight players, Horston, Jackson, and Key and health issues have taken down Key. Since Key was sick and underperforming this year, people have forgotten what a force she was last season. The team has been missing her presence and our post play has been sketchy in the big games.

Puckett, Darby, Suarez, Striplin are fairly solid role players that can complement stars but they are not overwhelmingly more talented than other role players on top 20 rosters. Walker and Powell are also role players though Powell has potential to be more than that. Whether her potential fully materializes this season is an open question.

So, a LOT rides on Horston and Jackson staying healthy. It is very hard to see how the team could be successful without those two.

On the lack of assists and isolation plays, you take what a team gives you. Florida could not handle Jackson or the 2nd half Jordan or keep the LVs off the boards. Passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds would have only aided Florida.

Yes. That is a well written summary.

I knew from early on that Justine needs one year to develop. That remains true.

Was hoping Jill could jump in there and help more this year. I'm now seeing that she also needs more time to develop.

I tip my hat to Tess, Karo, Bucketts for their summer workout programs. IMO, Jordy is also in the best shape of her life.

Franklin's experience is a huge help. She can give us 15 minutes per game. But, we need her in there during crunch time. She helps when Rickea and Jordy are on court as part of our Final Five Minute team.

Unless Powell can regain her confidence from behind the line. I slightly prefer Walker. They are close.

Prayers for Su, your mum, and entire family.

+- numbers are very simple A +- of 3 means that during the time you were in game your team outscored the opponent by 3 points. A+- of-5 means that while you were in game theoppinent outscored your team by 5points. If a player plays the entire game then the +- will be whatever the game was won or lost by. Jackson and Horston only had +- of 3 each. This is thought provoking because many players had much higher ÷- . When a team wins by 10 and you had a -5 efficiency rating that is not good. The efficiency rating reflects how all 5 players on the floor are doing as a unit while you are in the game. not just the other 4 players. It can be an eye opening stat which must be considered.

You beat me to the punch. I also think that people often consider the stat to just reflect offensive scoring while a player is in the game, but it is not just an offensive stat. It reflects the team's offensive and defensive performance equally while a particular player is in the game. That is why I think some people might get confused about why Walker had the best stat last night given she did not score much nor did she provide many assists. However, she was by far the best in stopping the drive and penetrate move among the point guards.
It is not always the best stat to measure a performance, as the efficiency stat looks at other variables. Also, if you are third teamer and you are coming off the bench with other third teamers, your stat will suffer because you don't get the benefit of playing with Jordy and Rickea.

Am I hyperbolizing to say RJ at top of her game is the best offensive player/scorer we've had since Parker?

For the very love, let's use her right the last half of the season. Whatever that means.

I definitely think she is the smoothest post scorer we have had since Parker. She consistently shoots near perfectly while moving at warp speed, which is incredibly hard to do. Additionally, she moves her body so gracefully around the other big players that she leaves them in her dust. It is amazing to watch!

Crazy how turnovers have not been as bad this season with the recent stretch of us doing very well with TO's then last night we get 23 and it becomes the topic of issue again in a WIN...eyeroll

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't know what those plus or minus totals mean on the UTSports boxscore, but they are not the efficiency rating of the players. I ran the numbers on Rickea Jackson using the NBA formula and she had a 28 for the game. The NBA considers a rating of 14.5 an average score for a player so she doubled that. Here is the calculator for efficiency ratings.

NBA Efficiency Calculator (EFF) – Captain Calculator

Also ran her season total per forty minutes played and it was a 28.61 so she has played at the same level as last night every forty minutes she has played this season.

Jackson's PER player efficiency rating from Her Hoops was a freaking 59.8. Great players usually come in around 30.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well, its a good thing Kellie makes that 7 figure paycheck and not you. No on here knows what Kellie and Rickea have discussed or if Rickea just said if this is better for the team no problem. That is a discussion between coach staff and players that stays in the locker room. Rickea also just said something on social media about not believing everything you hear on social media. If she was unhappy, she could have just left this team and played pro in Europe the winter. Speculation is just that; speculation............
We can discuss the Rickea thing until Hell freezes over and we still may not know the reality of the situation. On the surface it would seem like a good idea to have your best scorer, and certainly one of your best rebounders, on the floor as many minutes as possible. If whatever is going on eventually bites KJH in the butt, time will tell. We do know one thing is for sure it’s not going to change until KJH decides to change it.

Reactions: Dak1219
Absolutely JH/RJ should play together, especially in hard games at crucial time.And get most of the shots. But we don't want to get over dependent on them. We need to keep kicking out to our 3 pt shooters - Tess, Sara, Justine. If we develop that part of our game it will make life much easier on RJ/JH. Also keep scoring in the post. We do not need to get one, or two, dimensional.
You just named my starting five in one post. Clairvoyant , in a clear seeing way.

I definitely think she is the smoothest post scorer we have had since Parker. She consistently shoots near perfectly while moving at warp speed, which is incredibly hard to do. Additionally, she moves her body so gracefully around the other big players that she leaves them in her dust. It is amazing to watch!
You know she remind me more of the NC DeShields than the Tennessee DeShields. The NC Diamond was awesome.

VN Store

Back