Game Thread - Tennessee Lady Vols vs #2 Shady Trees & Referees

Death, taxes, Horston playing like trash in a big game. RJ needs to be this team's go-to player down the stretch...
"Playing like trash" is unfair. IMO she's playing very well overall. However, there are two roles JH never needs to play: PG and late game shot maker.

KJH recently described JH, and RJ, as "emotional" players. I think that's accurate. JH knows, and has said, that she is not a very good shooter and finisher. That gets into her head, especially in pressure situations where she has to be the hero. If the better option hero, RJ, is available, it takes a ton of pressure off JH, plus gives her some rest. Then I believe her chances of success under late game pressure goes way up.

To her credit, JH does seem to have finally gotten out of her own head regarding turnovers. And I probably just jinxed her lol.

Worst start in 40 years isn’t a trend/healing you want
In my book, the worse the disease the more I want any healing trend.

I guess the real bone of contention is how the healing trend is "celebrated". You don't want the cure to hide how sick the patient got, and that's certainly your right.

Maybe I am seeing things or maybe my glasses aren’t as orange tinted as some of yours.
I am referring to what what some of you call the taunting/punk move of Brink saying something to RJ.
I saw it in real time and saw in in slow motion about 5 times. It sure looks like RJ said something first to Brinks or at the same time.
As to most of the foul calls, I assume you are all correct but I only saw the plays from one side and couldn’t tell what was happening on the other side.
For almost 3 quarters I agree with what most of you have said. It seems like we aren’t rushing up the court as much, not driving to the basket as much and not forcing passes as much which has sharply reduced our turnovers. We got rattled after the Brink 3 pointer and started pressing and reverted back to the more one one one play. Brink didn’t worry about fouls and dominated offensively near the basket. They also made a couple other key 3 point shots which they were missing for most of the first 3 quarters.
JMO

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Stanford played very physically in this game like Arisona did in the men's game last night.

The Pac 12 is a lot more physical than I thought it would be.
It's ok to play physical as long as the calls go both ways. They were not in this game. You have to adjust how physical you want to play if your team is getting a lot of fouls called and they were for us. Go back and look at the stats.

In my book, the worse the disease the more I want any healing trend.

I guess the real bone of contention is how the healing trend is "celebrated". You don't want the cure to hide how sick the patient got, and that's certainly your right.

Worst start in almost 4 decades. We are also 4 years into this "treatment"

You don't pay much attention to NCAA bb do you. Usually 7 or 8 teams make it from SEC. We will be in top4 4.

Trust me i pay a lot of attention to NCAA basketball and HS basketball, Look the bottom line is TN needs to get some big wins against some top teams. And right now they don`t have one can they get one sure. I will give coach KJH credit for the Strength of Schedule. And i do think that helps TN in that department. But the bigger problem is TN was ranked #4 in many preseason polls and have not delivered on that ranking and worst falling out of the top 25.

Why did Jackson play only 20 minutes?

Why did Puckett only play 21?

Because for the most part, those two were rotating playing the four spot.

That was am extremely difficult assignment, because Stanford is really strong and deep at the 4 position.

I hope those who doubted Key's value to this team defensively watched all of this game. The Stanford bigs had their way with us offensively. We are a completely different team defensively without her. We are going to have to figure out how to play without her. From my vantage point, we're making good progress but still not there.

I can not remember the last Lady Vols game where we had zero blocked shots.

There is no doubt that we miss a healthy Tamari that we saw last year.

"Playing like trash" is unfair. IMO she's playing very well overall. However, there are two roles JH never needs to play: PG and late game shot maker.

KJH recently described JH, and RJ, as "emotional" players. I think that's accurate. JH knows, and has said, that she is not a very good shooter and finisher. That gets into her head, especially in pressure situations where she has to be the hero. If the better option hero, RJ, is available, it takes a ton of pressure off JH, plus gives her some rest. Then I believe her chances of success under late game pressure goes way up.

To her credit, JH does seem to have finally gotten out of her own head regarding turnovers. And I probably just jinxed her lol.

Horston is shooting 45 percent for the season. That is good. Jackson is shooting 54 percent. That is outstanding. We've got two of the better offensive talents in the game, but we're too dependent on them and simply do not get enough good play out of our guards and our bigs--especially in games against good opponents, who tend to have /good/ guards and one or two good bigs. We needed to get some good play out of Hollingshead against Stanford--but she only played 9 minutes. She's got to play more and become more influential or we'll just have another mediocre season--which is what we're headed for anyway.

Our guard play---as has been the case for ages--just isn't good enough. Walker played 23 minutes and had the worst +/- of anybody in the game for either side, by a long way. She and Powell, in 39 minutes of play between them, had 4 points, 1 assist, 1 steal. That and the fact that we don't get enough good play out of our bigs are the reasons why we can't beat anybody good.

I watched the game. The LVs looked pretty good for 3 quarters. They played well against what is the 2nd or 3rd best team on their court. The last quarter they stopped doing things that worked offensively and got tight.

I don't think the officiating was that bad. Stanford got away with a few things but it wasn't a snow job. I think KJH needs to be honest with herself about her rotations and how some of them aren't working. For all the depth and talent this team was advertised as having, there really are a small number of players who should go for more than just a few minutes here and there.

The schedule has been brutal. It will slow down. If the LVs win the games they should then they are safely in the tournament.

you got some who want to horston plus jackson 30 mins one problem puckett,darby , marta have show they are improving. none of those should left for end of game mins. Jill ,karoline , frankin are sharing time at center. And if she plays three or four thirthy plus mins and does got nine champship and next year team sucks because she benchedd young players improving they stop improving the ones who got their way on two to four players most of the game will be in the bunch saying send kellie packing. for next year sucking. you never know who they might lose we lost key this year. last year was green,horston,rae not 100% So i like plan for play players who are improving. lets hope injury bug who bite lady vols back side in smaller this year than last year and bug does not got its way.

When we reached crunch time, for how they had played yesterday. I thought we had the right five on the floor. Jordy, RJ, Franklin, Powell, and a 3-point shooter (was it Darby). Stanford elevated their game, and we didn't respond.

In hindsight, we focused too much on trying to take ball right at their best defender. But, at the time, I thought that was good strategy.

Last edited:
I watched the game. The LVs looked pretty good for 3 quarters. They played well against what is the 2nd or 3rd best team on their court. The last quarter they stopped doing things that worked offensively and got tight.

I don't think the officiating was that bad. Stanford got away with a few things but it wasn't a snow job. I think KJH needs to be honest with herself about her rotations and how some of them aren't working. For all the depth and talent this team was advertised as having, there really are a small number of players who should go for more than just a few minutes here and there.

The schedule has been brutal. It will slow down. If the LVs win the games they should then they are safely in the tournament.

Yes. They have about ten days now to re-evaluate where are at.

Give Stanford credit. They opened third quarter with a set play that isolated blond girl on Buckett. Sara picked up third foul at nine second mark, and that changed everything. We had to bring in RJ early, and burned up her legs in third quarter. Threw off our whole sub pattern.

If we can get the first 5-6 minutes of third quarter with Karo, Tess, Jordy, Walker, and Buckett..........when our bench would have worn them down more, and we wouldn't have been gassed in fourth quarter. In hindsight, wish we had let Buckett play on with three. But, seemed like right move at the time.

Horston is shooting 45 percent for the season. That is good. Jackson is shooting 54 percent. That is outstanding. We've got two of the better offensive talents in the game, but we're too dependent on them and simply do not get enough good play out of our guards and our bigs--especially in games against good opponents, who tend to have /good/ guards and one or two good bigs. We needed to get some good play out of Hollingshead against Stanford--but she only played 9 minutes. She's got to play more and become more influential or we'll just have another mediocre season--which is what we're headed for anyway.

Our guard play---as has been the case for ages--just isn't good enough. Walker played 23 minutes and had the worst +/- of anybody in the game for either side, by a long way. She and Powell, in 39 minutes of play between them, had 4 points, 1 assist, 1 steal. That and the fact that we don't get enough good play out of our bigs are the reasons why we can't beat anybody good.
Can't argue with any of that. I thought we'd see Jill more. Wonder why we didn't. She's vital for SEC play. Powell is kind of an enigma. She's top 5 SEC assist/to ratio. We have to give her more opportunities to assist by running some offense. Earlier in the season, she was criticised for looking to score too much, now it's lack of offensive production. And she's really small. However, I still think she's easily our best option at PG and think Walker should be back up. 25/15 min split tops. Like the whole team, Powell is trying to find and keep her balance.
For all the depth and talent this team was advertised as having, there really are a small number of players who should go for more than just a few minutes here and there.
Such an interesting dilemia, and a good lesson for other coaches on building by portal. We see players getting better by playing. But our best players need to play more. I just wish they'd leave a hot player out there. I don't care if it is time according to your preplanned rotations, do NOT take a red hot Sara Puckett out!!!!!

Can't argue with any of that. I thought we'd see Jill more. Wonder why we didn't. She's vital for SEC play. Powell is kind of an enigma. She's top 5 SEC assist/to ratio. We have to give her more opportunities to assist by running some offense. Earlier in the season, she was criticised for looking to score too much, now it's lack of offensive production. And she's really small. However, I still think she's easily our best option at PG and think Walker should be back up. 25/15 min split tops. Like the whole team, Powell is trying to find and keep her balance.

Such an interesting dilemia, and a good lesson for other coaches on building by portal. We see players getting better by playing. But our best players need to play more. I just wish they'd leave a hot player out there. I don't care if it is time according to your preplanned rotations, do NOT take a red hot Sara Puckett out!!!!!

When Jill came into game for first time, she opened with just a terrible series of plays. Unsure if she was nervous or what.

Don't recall exact order, but gave up basket, missed a couple of shots, gave another basket with a foul.

I think she just had a bad day. And, we were correct to limit her minutes yesterday.

But, she will learn and be back from it. We all have bad days.

Trust me i pay a lot of attention to NCAA basketball and HS basketball, Look the bottom line is TN needs to get some big wins against some top teams. And right now they don`t have one can they get one sure. I will give coach KJH credit for the Strength of Schedule. And i do think that helps TN in that department. But the bigger problem is TN was ranked #4 in many preseason polls and have not delivered on that ranking and worst falling out of the top 25.
People are overestimating the SEC and how many teams that will likely make the tournament. They have been terrible this season. SC, LSU and Arkansas are the only teams receiving votes from the pollsters, when they typically have about 7-8. Outside of SC and Arkansas, no one has any signature wins, with LSU's win over Oregon State being the best OOC win. If SC, LSU and Arkansas only lose to themselves, I don't see any other conference teams making the tournament if their best wins are only in conference against a bunch of other mediocre teams. Tennessee has a chance by virtue of their high-ish NET ranking, but that's far from a given if they can't find a way to beat one of the top 3 SEC teams and/or UConn by the time Selection Monday rolls around.

Lots of respiratory stuff going around right now.

Gonna say Abby Conklin sitting behind the bench is possibly a bit better source than you watching on TV and salivating over being able to throw gas on a fire, even if it's completely made up. So the focus gets changed to why she was winded now? Pls give us time stamp as to when "the chewing out" occurred.

You either made that up or saw it that way bc you're so eager to National Enquirer the story. It simply did not happen, and for the love of God the whole country saw that it didn't. And yet, you persist . . .
How do you know it was Abby Conklin sitting behind the bench and how do you know that it was the real Abby Conklin on twitter ?

I don't know what happened to Powell in the last month, but her performance has taken a dive off the cliff. Even with the early season losses, it looked like the PG spot was solid. That has not been the case at all in the last few games, and that includes vs. the cupcakes that preceded Stanford.

Reactions: Jax_Vol and alexvol
Kellie get off your butt and get a damn technical...Your girls were being brutalized and you just sit there again....Inexcusable!
well, the LVs already gave them 2 free points due to an administrative technical, so giving them a couple more free points and the ball really wouldn't have helped --- Kellie was protesting, but the striped ears were closed

not even 5 minutes into the game.
But it’s worse coming from fans on message boards. Rebecca Lobo tossing bombs on national audience in regards to Jackson.
I always turn the announcers off after the first couple of minutes of game-setting ---- they invariably have nothing to offer that I want to hear

That was the real Abby Conklin. She posts on FB all the time, and she posted the same thing on the LV group there.
I am done with this back and forth.The record is clear about taking the hot shooters out of the game when they are red hot and for that matter when a rotation has gained a good lead over the good teams that we have played and then substitutions were inserted ( sometimes wholesale ) and the leads were lost and went on to lose ALL of those games. No need to keep one's head stuck deep in the sand on that issue. If Jackson was " gassed " call a 30 second timeout to give her a breather.....if she was hurt do the same thing......

VN Store

Back