‘23 GA S Tyler Scott (Auburn)

Highly unlikely…considering the value they place on veterans. Not trying to sell that he sucks. But he’s not the GENERATIONAL talent our resident GENERATIONAL talent evaluator is pumping either. Not a scrub but highly replaceable imo.
😂😂😂😂

Reactions: butchna
It is definitely a loss because he was one heck of an athlete with the size to play right away. But it isn't the type of loss that changes the overall complexion of the class. I agree that the timing is the worst part of it. Thank God for the portal and every other DB in the class being on campus. The coaches have a chance to get a good evaluation on those guys and what they might need from the portal.
I'm starting to think we're not going to work the portal like many thought we would. I'm hoping for more players after bowl season, but I don't expect much from the Spring window. Either the coaches are being very tight-lipped and flying under the radar or we're just not targeting too many portal guys. And I do think there are still some guys out there that could help our defense, but we just don't seem interested. My worry is our defense will cost us more games next year, just like they cost us SCar and the playoffs this year. It is imperative IMO that we better our defense.

I'm starting to think we're not going to work the portal like many thought we would. I'm hoping for more players after bowl season, but I don't expect much from the Spring window. Either the coaches are being very tight-lipped and flying under the radar or we're just not targeting too many portal guys. And I do think there are still some guys out there that could help our defense, but we just don't seem interested. My worry is our defense will cost us more games next year, just like they cost us SCar and the playoffs this year. It is imperative IMO that we better our defense.
I think they're being very selective with the portal because of numbers. They got a kicker, a TE, and now seen really focused on OL. For whatever reason, they seem to be pushing everything else to January. That could be too see what high schoolers don't sign during the early signing period and how many of our guys hit the portal after the bowl game.

I think they're being very selective with the portal because of numbers. They got a kicker, a TE, and now seen really focused on OL. For whatever reason, they seem to be pushing everything else to January. That could be too see what high schoolers don't sign during the early signing period and how many of our guys hit the portal after the bowl game.
That's the thing. We seemed focused on offense. They probably need another TE, and they're looking at OL and WRs. But our defense was horrible, and the only way we seem to be addressing it is through HS recruiting, and you can't really expect freshmen to come in and turn it around. JMO, but I think a LB, a lockdown CB, and a good safety should all be priorities. Some help on the DL would be nice as well. But we're hearing very little about them looking to address our defensive woes. I know the staff prioritizes offense and outscoring our opponents, but we need an adequate defense, and I don't think we currently have that.

As much as some enjoy Heupel's high octane offense, I've always enjoyed good defense. And we're not really close to getting good defense currently other than our ability to stop the run. We need to get better on that side of the ball.

That's the thing. We seemed focused on offense. They probably need another TE, and they're looking at OL and WRs. But our defense was horrible, and the only way we seem to be addressing it is through HS recruiting, and you can't really expect freshmen to come in and turn it around. JMO, but I think a LB, a lockdown CB, and a good safety should all be priorities. Some help on the DL would be nice as well. But we're hearing very little about them looking to address our defensive woes. I know the staff prioritizes offense and outscoring our opponents, but we need an adequate defense, and I don't think we currently have that.

As much as some enjoy Heupel's high octane offense, I've always enjoyed good defense. And we're not really close to getting good defense currently other than our ability to stop the run. We need to get better on that side of the ball.
I think it will be addressed after the 21st (ESD). Just look at the reaction to one defensive player decommiting. Why risk multiple by openly pursuing a bunch of portal guys before signing day?

Apparently he was telling the coaches he was solid, otherwise he wouldn't have lied to them about taking the Auburn visit. It sucks but it happens.
Always be recruiting. This happens all the time, everywhere...coaches caught off guard by it, or not thinking ahead, have to learn from it, because they'll get burned again on down the road.

I think it will be addressed after the 21st (ESD). Just look at the reaction to one defensive player decommiting. Why risk multiple by openly pursuing a bunch of portal guys before signing day?

That argument only applies to DL/Edge guys. All of our LB and DB commits are now enrolled. Not even sure how much it applies to DL guys because they probably know we need more rotational players.

My hope is they're waiting for better players to hit the portal after the bowl games, but I'm not entirely convinced that's going to happen. At least not at our positions of need.

People won't like this comment, but we struggle at recruiting the portal. That's not to say we haven't hit on some good players who have greatly helped this team, but this is the second year in a row that FSU has out recruited us for a player we really wanted. Last year it was Verse. This year it's Morlock. It makes me question just how hard we actually recruit the portal.

That argument only applies to DL/Edge guys. All of our LB and DB commits are now enrolled. Not even sure how much it applies to DL guys because they probably know we need more rotational players.

My hope is they're waiting for better players to hit the portal after the bowl games, but I'm not entirely convinced that's going to happen. At least not at our positions of need.

People won't like this comment, but we struggle at recruiting the portal. That's not to say we haven't hit on some good players who have greatly helped this team, but this is the second year in a row that FSU has out recruited us for a player we really wanted. Last year it was Verse. This year it's Morlock. It makes me question just how hard we actually recruit the portal.
Those players just arrived 2-3 days ago and they still can't sign their NLI (national letter of intent) until the 21st. That's what locks them in. So it still does apply. It's just not likely for those players to flip, but they could always choose not to sign and go home. I think Morlock was just a messed up situation, because Golesh started that recruitment then left for the USF job. They also have shown that they aren't going to pursue players that are looking for big NIL deals. I know most would like to see them be super aggressive in the portal. I don't know what all goes on in their meetings and what they are looking for specifically, so I trust the process. So far, they've exceeded expectations doing what they are doing.

Those players just arrived 2-3 days ago and they still can't sign their NLI (national letter of intent) until the 21st. That's what locks them in. So it still does apply. It's just not likely for those players to flip, but they could always choose not to sign and go home. I think Morlock was just a messed up situation, because Golesh started that recruitment then left for the USF job. They also have shown that they aren't going to pursue players that are looking for big NIL deals. I know most would like to see them be super aggressive in the portal. I don't know what all goes on in their meetings and what they are looking for specifically, so I trust the process. So far, they've exceeded expectations doing what they are doing.
They’ve signed financial papers and are enrolled at UT. It’s more binding than a NLI. That’s why Oregeron was dialing EE’s on the university’s dime begging them not to enroll.

On the field, offensively and in win/loss, they have far exceeded expectations. Defensively, we have underperformed. I love Coach Heupel so this is not a direct criticism of him, but the defense has to get better. They single-handedly cost us the SCar game and our shot at the playoffs. I honestly don't see how anyone can argue that.

No one who has enrolled is just going to leave. They may have not signed a NLI, but they are still enrolled. To leave now would mean transferring, which they could just as easily do if we wait until after the 21st to pursue LBs and DBs.

You can blame Golesh leaving, but no matter how you look at it, this is the second straight year that FSU has snagged a guy we really wanted. Somehow, maybe through NIL, they are out recruiting us in the portal. And after the season we just had, with our offensive numbers, I'm still baffled how Morlock chose FSU over us. It blows my mind.

My honest opinion, at this point, I don't believe we're going to be super aggressive in the portal. It would be nice though if we did try to address some of our defensive woes.

Some posters are looking for sunshine and rainbows. And there are plenty of things to be positive about. We had an amazing season. We have a really good recruiting class that I genuinely believe will make our team better in a couple of years. I'm not of the belief as some are that freshmen are going to come in right away and make things better. Offensively, any needs we have are because of players graduating and/or moving on to the NFL. But defensively, why can we all not just be honest and admit our defense this year was subpar when it comes to passing defense? We played the run great, but teams basically passed the ball at will on us. We made not good QBs look like absolute studs. If we hope to continue moving forward as a team, we absolutely have to have a better defense. And it's not being negative to point out that reality. I'm not expecting miracles, but I also don't think it's wrong for fans to recognize such an obvious weakness and look for it to be fixed.

I know what the last 15 years have been like. I'm extremely appreciative of Josh Heupel and this team and what they have accomplished. But fans are allowed to have expectations, especially realistic ones. It's not unrealistic to expect to see improvement from a passing defense that was abysmal this year.

On the field, offensively and in win/loss, they have far exceeded expectations. Defensively, we have underperformed. I love Coach Heupel so this is not a direct criticism of him, but the defense has to get better. They single-handedly cost us the SCar game and our shot at the playoffs. I honestly don't see how anyone can argue that.

No one who has enrolled is just going to leave. They may have not signed a NLI, but they are still enrolled. To leave now would mean transferring, which they could just as easily do if we wait until after the 21st to pursue LBs and DBs.

You can blame Golesh leaving, but no matter how you look at it, this is the second straight year that FSU has snagged a guy we really wanted. Somehow, maybe through NIL, they are out recruiting us in the portal. And after the season we just had, with our offensive numbers, I'm still baffled how Morlock chose FSU over us. It blows my mind.

My honest opinion, at this point, I don't believe we're going to be super aggressive in the portal. It would be nice though if we did try to address some of our defensive woes.

Some posters are looking for sunshine and rainbows. And there are plenty of things to be positive about. We had an amazing season. We have a really good recruiting class that I genuinely believe will make our team better in a couple of years. I'm not of the belief as some are that freshmen are going to come in right away and make things better. Offensively, any needs we have are because of players graduating and/or moving on to the NFL. But defensively, why can we all not just be honest and admit our defense this year was subpar when it comes to passing defense? We played the run great, but teams basically passed the ball at will on us. We made not good QBs look like absolute studs. If we hope to continue moving forward as a team, we absolutely have to have a better defense. And it's not being negative to point out that reality. I'm not expecting miracles, but I also don't think it's wrong for fans to recognize such an obvious weakness and look for it to be fixed.

I know what the last 15 years have been like. I'm extremely appreciative of Josh Heupel and this team and what they have accomplished. But fans are allowed to have expectations, especially realistic ones. It's not unrealistic to expect to see improvement from a passing defense that was abysmal this year.
The pass defense being bad wasn't just the secondary. We weren't good at getting sacks either. But yes, the secondary was below average overall. I'm sure they are making efforts to remedy that. FSU beating us for Morlock was absolutely from Golesh leaving. He was set up to visit before the Golesh news, then the visit never happened. The issue with the portal that we as fans usually don't take into account is the fact that just because a player has talent, doesn't mean they will fit the culture that the coaches have established here. If any of the Jeremy Banks rumors were true about the week leading up to the SCjr game, it's proof that one player disrupting that culture can affect the entire team.

They’ve signed financial papers and are enrolled at UT. It’s more binding than a NLI. That’s why Oregeron was dialing EE’s on the university’s dime begging them not to enroll.
By NCAA rules, the NLI is what's binding, and constitutes needing to be released from a binding contract.

By NCAA rules, the NLI is what's binding, and constitutes needing to be released from a binding contract.
Once you've signed and accepted financial assistance papers, you're tied in. Leaving would have to be a transfer after that point. You've signed a contract accepting the money.

The pass defense being bad wasn't just the secondary. We weren't good at getting sacks either. But yes, the secondary was below average overall. I'm sure they are making efforts to remedy that. FSU beating us for Morlock was absolutely from Golesh leaving. He was set up to visit before the Golesh news, then the visit never happened. The issue with the portal that we as fans usually don't take into account is the fact that just because a player has talent, doesn't mean they will fit the culture that the coaches have established here. If any of the Jeremy Banks rumors were true about the week leading up to the SCjr game, it's proof that one player disrupting that culture can affect the entire team.
And supposedly we were going to look for a pass rusher in the portal, but I'm not sure we are. That said, we could see a big jump from Josephs this year. He definitely shined in moments this past year. And as long as he doesn't leave, we could see a big step up from Pearce if he puts in the work. So pass rush at least has hope. More hope than our secondary.

Once you've signed and accepted financial assistance papers, you're tied in. Leaving would have to be a transfer after that point. You've signed a contract accepting the money.
This only started last year.... but if that is the case, why do they still have to sign a NLI, or why would the new rules not allow them to sign it early as well?

And supposedly we were going to look for a pass rusher in the portal, but I'm not sure we are. That said, we could see a big jump from Josephs this year. He definitely shined in moments this past year. And as long as he doesn't leave, we could see a big step up from Pearce if he puts in the work. So pass rush at least has hope. More hope than our secondary.
I know there was contact with at least one EDGE. I agree about Josephs and Pearce. Roman Harrison is coming back as well. I also think there will be a new crop of portal entries after the bowls. It still remains to be seen how aggressive they are in the portal. Supposedly theire has been heavy dialog with the corner from aTm (Killebrew).

Highly unlikely…considering the value they place on veterans. Not trying to sell that he sucks. But he’s not the GENERATIONAL talent our resident GENERATIONAL talent evaluator is pumping either. Not a scrub but highly replaceable imo.

Exactly…the usual characters are in here trying to make this bigger than it is but it’s just not a big deal no matter how hard they try to spin…

Truth is…Nico is the only truly irreplaceable player in this class…and he’s already on campus…there are a couple of others who are close…Hobbs, Carter, Matthews come to mind…but they’re either on campus or will be shortly so we’re good there as well

Good ole' Ed "Class Act" Orgeron... When absolutely, positively need someone to take a big dump on the program, Ed's your guy..

EE has been a thing for more than awhile…way longer than ESD. When you’re enrolled? You’ve signed. The actual word INTENT in NLI compared to what YOU ALREADY DID when financial papers to enroll have been signed.

Always be recruiting. This happens all the time, everywhere...coaches caught off guard by it, or not thinking ahead, have to learn from it, because they'll get burned again on down the road.
Remember the complaints that all the coaches were taking was DBs? Maybe they did just in case this happened.

Reactions: BondJamesBond

I’m the sunshine and rainbows poster that keeps trying to cheer you up…or at least get you to wait before the anxiety consumes you. And there’s absolutely no one who is saying that our secondary is not the weakness on the team and doesn’t need improvement. I just keep trying to point out that at least two who would know said they would not be going after any until after the bowls and/or after spring practice. Insinuated they didn’t like any. I took that to mean if they had talent there was another problem such as demand for too much money or attitude. The offense is set so one bad apple won’t cause as many problems. Someone else said something that made me think they may already have something worked out with someone not going in the portal until after the bowl. But they are going after the A&M player that just went in. But we’re going to have to accept they’re not willing to get into bidding wars for the flashy players. They want guys like Bru who have the talent but looking for a new start and fit the system and culture. Also, numbers is an issue so being very picky. After spring some will leave so you start the whole process again of filling needs.

VN Store

Back