Game Thread: (RV/RV) Lady Vols. 56 - (9/9) Virginia Tech 59

This is where we could've really used Jackson as another scoring option.

Yep, got a good shot, we can debate taking a 3 or driving but she was open great look/open she just didn’t do what your elite player does at the end of game. Effort was there just not results. Best player took last 2 shots.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m watching UConn vs Notre Dame, seen Ohio State, Indiana, UCLA, Virginia Tech etc and there are coaches right that would be this talented TN roster undefeated! That is a fact.

Your poor dog isn't too bright; otherwise, he would have informed you that the "perennial middle of the road ACC team" is currently ranked #9 nationally. His being a big fan of WCBB and all.

He does have a fairly impressive vocabulary...for a mutt.
He is actually genius. He always gets more sleep than I do and he gets a treat every time he goes outside and does his business. He also knows VT has never won an ACC conference title and shouldn’t be able to ever stay on the floor with the storied LV program.

Can your dog coach? And do you want to sell your talking mutt?

He is not for sell. He does know the game as well as some coaches in the SEC. He isn’t naming any names on that one. He is just tired of watching the product that the LV’s are putting on the floor at 4-5. I personally think he deserves better.

How is Geno undefeated with this current UConn roster?
They aren’t physical!
They aren’t explosive!
They have no size!

Superior coaching that’s how! And these lil fans on this forum are worried about a players attitude lol!!! Make it make sense!

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Four Points:

First: The defensive effort was good but our guards have GOT to stop switching when it can be avoided. Dumb defense. You don't give the opponent a mismatch unless you absolutely have to. We have opponents with good guards too many mismatches.

Second: our supporting cast is simply not productive.

Suarez: 32 minutes, 6 points on 3 of 10 shots from the floor. Had 9 rebounds--but 0 assists and 4 turnovers.
Walker--20 minutes, 0 points. NO assists.
Darby: 21 minutes, 2 points (missed all 3 of her three-point attempts).
Puckett: 13 minutes, 2 points
Striplin: 11 minutes, 0 points (0-2 from the floor)

Powell: 30 minutes, 9 points (missed 4 of 5 treys; missed 2 of 4 FTs; had 6 assists but also 4 TOs. Not good enough across the board, and to quick to switch on defense, giving the opponent mismatches they could exploit.

By any measure, in toto, that is an absolutely awful performance by the supporting cast.

One reason for the terrible can be attributed to talent--not enough individual talent. BUT two or three of them can shoot when OPEN, yet we don't run sets that get them open shots. Sets featuring lots of picks and QUICK ball movement to pull defenders out of position and get our players open shots. If they take contested shots, they miss more often than not. I didn't see the first half so I don't know how many of the missed shots by this group in the first half were open--but I don't recall seeing any open shots by them in the 2nd half. I'm sure there were a couple that I missed--but on the whole we have the SAME problem we've had for 15 years: Our TEAM offense is poor. Too much standing around, slow ball movment--and then relying heavily on Horston and Jackson to go 1v1 and score. But even with 2 excellent talents like those two, it's probably not enough to beat good teams--because the opponent can focus its defense on those two.

Third: You're not going to beat good teams if you can't make 3s. We were 2-14 from the 3-line. That's a losing stat--14 percent shooting. That is sad for a veteran team like ours. VT didn't shoot the three very well--28 percent--but nevertheless made 9, and took 32 threes. We don't need to shoot that many threes, but good teams can shoot the three. We don't make enough 3s. Eve when Jackson and Horston are playing well, they tend not to don't take many threes, and so even if they are scoring, if our opponent is making 7+ 3s, we're losing ground.

Four: We obviously, as we've seen in many of these games, simply don't make plays down the stretch. Walker missed a three at the 4-minute mark; Suarez made 2 key bad mistakes (one physical and one mental), and while Horston had an excellent game and carried us, she had two open shots to tie in the waning seconds and missed them both. We missed a bunch of shots in the last 4/5 minutes--and that always adds up to an L.

I agree with most of that, but on the switching we are playing the perimeter like the men do. There is no substantive difference between Powell and Jackson defensively so anyone who is a mismatch for one will be a mismatch for the other. As far as switching with Darby ---- anyone Darby is on will be a mismatch for her on the perimeter so the other team has a mismatch from the get go. Same goes for Marta. So you might as well switch which allows you to cover for slow lateral movement. You can also do the little peek out maneuver where one defender steps out just long enough to stop the progress of the ball handler and allow the other defender to recover. I think that has all been an improvement for out perimeter defense and just showed up in the last few games. Other teams have been getting fewer looks off set plays when we play like that. But when we crash the boards and lose our spacing bad things happen on the perimeter.

I worry less about penetration since Key can clean it up, and we have length other teams have a hard time shooting over once in the paint.

I’m watching UConn vs Notre Dame, seen Ohio State, Indiana, UCLA, Virginia Tech etc and there are coaches right that would be this talented TN roster undefeated! That is a fact.

You probably would have seen that about Louisville, Texas, and North Carolina, too...until they lost.

The staff has some serious challenges ahead, but let's not forget that they started last season with many of the same players (and with Rae out hurt during that run). But they do need to get the offense moving and free up shooters, and also defend the three-point shot (and box out).

UConn the #3 ranked team in the country doesn’t have a single player talented enough to take over the game on offense!
Why are they so good right now?

It don’t even sound right coming from you.. I need some competition.
Like I said, what did she do? Shut up if you just going to rant with no facts!
I stand on business.
You're going to tell me to shut up but not the talking dog that turned off the game . LOL.
Whatever she did merit her not being in this game.
But here's facts .... no player in Tennessee Lady Vols history have been deny playing ( even the Great Candace Parker ) without due cause . If she violented the rules , she's responsible and in negligent.
Tennessee don't play and many had to leave this program for offenses .
I'm not ranting but I bet Rickea don't agree with you . Bozo.

Last edited:
She just seems very slow, sluggish, and lackadaisical to me...like she depends too much on her height and not enough on quickness, jumping, and agility
I totally agree...the sad thing is she doesn't utilize her height on the offensive side...probably her "will to", but maybe a coaching issue 🤔

How is Geno undefeated with this current UConn roster?
They aren’t physical!
They aren’t explosive!
They have no size!

Superior coaching that’s how! And these lil fans on this forum are worried about a players attitude lol!!! Make it make sense!

List their roster along with their rankings.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
UConn getting dominated in the post. Man Geno there’s a couple 6’6 and 6’5 post players that I know you could use right now in Knoxville! Keep fighting though!

Tennessee will be fine! Yes, a disappointing loss. But three critical players unavailable was too much to overcome.

Just some observations about the game.

Horston is a beast. In situations like today (missing three players) she must be more selfish. Two turnovers on passes to Key and Suarez, when she should have shot the ball.

We played man-to-man defense with no switching for at least three quarters. If you are going to play-it you can not go under the screens. As good as Jordan is she got burned three times off of a Kitley screen. As Jordan went under the screen Amore hit three uncontested shots. Although, Suarez is a good player she had a difficult day. A late whistle resulted in a walking call just as Horston hit a banked three. No basket. A second late walking call on Suarez occurred as Key hit a jumper. No basket. A wide open layup was fumbled out of bounds. Five points taken off the board and a layup not recorded. Tough night.

On defense we are not connected. In the second half. Suarez switched to get Walker's man. Walker didn't switch. Wide open three. In the first half, Powell saged off her man to help Key in the post ( I know right). Ball gets reversed thrown back out front. Wide open three. First two layups came off blow-bys on Darby. No help defense. Resulting in two uncontested layups. Two of VT's threes came off offensive rebounds and a wide open shooter as Puckett tried but failed to recover.

We played poor on offense but our inability to find, stay with and close out three point shooters cost us the game.

VN Store

Back