Potpourri

When my wife broke the news about how she would soon be dieing, she took me out to a field on her parents farm so we could be alone....She brought along a portable player and as she was telling me this tragic news, she played, on very low volume, "Fields of Gold"....She told me through this song, we would always be together...I really miss her, and I'm still in love with her....

Song From a Movie: Really tough category. Limited to vocal performances & music written specifically for the movie, this still is tough. Do you choose from blockbusters like Purple Rain, Saturday Night Fever, Titanic, Goldfinger? Less smash box office types such as Harold & Maude, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, The Graduate, Good Will Hunting, Magnolia, Breakfast Club? Indie films seen by far smaller audiences? Do you pick songs that were subsequently used in many other films or became hits for other artists/bands independent of the movie?

Trying to pick the most iconic, my choice came down to two songs. The first was a major hit for a blockbuster film thirty years ago...it was an integral part of the sequel blockbuster released this year.

The other choice was literally the coolest song ever written. In the end, had to go with it. What other song could get the guys from all races stylin'?

When my wife broke the news about how she would soon be dieing, she took me out to a field on her parents farm so we could be alone....She brought along a portable player and as she was telling me this tragic news, she played, on very low volume, "Fields of Gold"....She told me through this song, we would always be together...I really miss her, and I'm still in love with her....

GT,I always enjoy your posts. Thank you for sharing such poignant memories with us. You had a wonderful love story which ended much too soon. I have shared your story with my sweetheart (and my forever love) of sixty years.She sends you her best wishes,as do I. To paraphrase the great Lou Gehrig—- I feel like the luckiest man alive— to have had this love, and I know you share those sentiments. I have sympathy for those who have not known the feelings we share. May GOD Bless You and keep your memories in your heart.

GT, you might like this version. I think it might be the one they play in heaven:

Song From a Movie: Really tough category. Limited to vocal performances & music written specifically for the movie, this still is tough. Do you choose from blockbusters like Purple Rain, Saturday Night Fever, Titanic, Goldfinger? Less smash box office types such as Harold & Maude, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, The Graduate, Good Will Hunting, Magnolia, Breakfast Club? Indie films seen by far smaller audiences? Do you pick songs that were subsequently used in many other films or became hits for other artists/bands independent of the movie?

Trying to pick the most iconic, my choice came down to two songs. The first was a major hit for a blockbuster film thirty years ago...it was an integral part of the sequel blockbuster released this year.

The other choice was literally the coolest song ever written. In the end, had to go with it. What other song could get the guys from all races stylin'?

For me and maybe others my age it’s these two

The Breakfast Club

Top Gun

For me and maybe others my age it’s these two

The Breakfast Club

Top Gun

Top Gun has always been a personal favorite....I lived in San Diego, which is the city that Miramar Air Base (Top Gun School) was associated with in the film....

When Maverick, Goose, and his family, were in that restaurant having beers singing, it was at the Kansas City Barbecue...KCB was located downtown San Diego.....Also, near the end, Charlie puts a quarter in the box at the KCB to surprise Maverick...

Not likely Top Gun training would have dog fights over populated areas of San Diego County....That is why Miramar is located on the edge of the desert, so the planes could go east, away from population, to dog fight over the desert...No way Maverick and Goose would end up in the ocean from dog fighting in the desert region....But it did have a glorious color of the ocean...

Also, some scenes are at Point Loma Naval Base, which had been closed by the gov't for cutbacks before Top Gun was filmed...PLNB was about 20 miles or more away from Miramar...

Also, the place where Charlie and Maverick meet on the street to argue at, he on his bike and she in her sports car, I got a ticket at the exact spot they were stopped at several years earlier.....

Charlie's rented house is on Sunset Cliffs Blvd...Very high end real estate in San Diego...Not likely she would have been able to afford that neighborhood...I walked those cliffs many times...

The San Diego Chargers used "Danger Zone" as their rally song at their stadium during football games in 86......Had posters of Dan Fousts, in flight suit passed out to their fans as they/we entered the stadium.......
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back