'21 JUCO CB Khyree Jackson

Every team you just named outside of Ms st and Ole Miss have more talent everywhere, not just in the secondary. I don’t know the star ratings of the starters on either, but i bet it’s pretty similar. Who are the average teams in terms of talent if not the teams I mentioned? Tank is a liability imo and he was a four star.

Turnage was a four star, Charles top 100 on on3, hadden was a top 500 player along with slaughter. That seems pretty average imo and I DOUBT Vandy and and Mizzou are starting that many guys that were that highly rated coming out.

Okay so your definition of average is “better than Missioiri and Vandy”? That’s not average.

We have 3 4* composite players in the secondary. That’s terrible. That’s below the majority of the sec, not “average”

Okay so your definition of average is “better than Missioiri and Vandy”? That’s not average.

We have 3 4* composite players in the secondary. That’s terrible. That’s below the majority of the sec, not “average”
I’m not gonna argue lol. You claimed we had Vandy, Mizzou level talent in the secondary…
Which we don’t imo. We’re below average you win. Btw Auburn and Florida both have better overall rosters and look how they did this year. Just because SC has one more composite four star doesn’t mean they have more talent in the secondary. I’m not trying to argue that we have a good one, my point is the players we put out there are not below average In the SEC because they weren’t bumped a 100 spots in recruiting rankings. Jmo

Last edited:
I’m not gonna argue lol. You claimed we had Vandy, Mizzou level talent in the secondary…
Which we don’t imo. We’re below average you win. Btw Auburn and Florida both have better overall rosters and look how they did this year. Just because SC has one more composite four star doesn’t mean they have a better secondary. I’m not trying to argue that we have a good one, my point is the players we put out there are not below average In the SEC becuse they weren’t bumped a 100 spots in recruiting rankings. Jmo

That’s exactly what I’m saying. They (our secondary) are below the SEC average on paper and on par with secondaries of Missouri and Vandy, based on recruiting rankings.

You can pretend that doesn’t matter, but the truth is it does. Especially if we want to win consistency at a high level.

Reactions: Clevegasvol
Which we don’t imo. We’re below average you win. Btw Auburn and Florida both have better overall rosters and look how they did this year. Just because SC has one more composite four star doesn’t mean they have a better secondary. I’m not trying to argue that we have a good one, my point is the players we put out there are not below average In the SEC becuse they weren’t bumped a 100 spots in recruiting rankings. Jmo

People should try to consider what the players are trying to accomplish given their actual skillset.
- Slaughter playing CB but is actually an athletic safety.
- Turnage playing CB but is actually a STAR
- Charles playing CB but is absolutely an athletic free safety
- Rucker playing CB doesn't belong in the SEC

There's too much of this going on. We have a bunch of guys that are out of position trying to produce in a passive defensive philosophy.

Gibson- SEC CB
Matthews - SEC CB

So we really need another transfer portal guy at CB imo

People should try to consider what the players are trying to accomplish given their actual skillset.

There's too much of this going on. We have a bunch of guys that are out of position trying to produce in a passive defensive philosophy.

Gibson- SEC CB
Matthews - SEC CB

You can thank Willie Martinez and Tim Banks for that. They said in multiple interviews in the preseason something to the effect of “we don’t like to separate corners from safeties, we want defensive backs”. I knew then we would have problems on the back end. I just hope Gibson and Matthews don’t get squandered away by poor coaching

You can thank Willie Martinez and Tim Banks for that. They said in multiple interviews in the preseason something to the effect of “we don’t like to separate corners from safeties, we want defensive backs”. I knew then we would have problems on the back end. I just hope Gibson and Matthews don’t get squandered away by poor coaching
I hear what you're saying.
But what they said is actually a good philosophy.

The problem is they are more safeties rather than corners.
That's why you see a lot of elite CB's just move to safety is they've had injuries or they're just older.
Charles Woodson, Darren Woodson, and I believe Champ Bailey did this as well. Dale Carter did too.
You'll never see a safety move to CB unless you're in our situation.

We need 4 great corners starting vs what we have now is 4 average safeties :confused:

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I hear what you're saying.
But what they said is actually a good philosophy.

The problem is they are more safeties rather than corners.
That's why you see a lot of elite CB's just move to safety is they've had injuries or they're just older.
Charles Woodson, Darren Woodson, and I believe Champ Bailey did this as well. Dale Carter did too.
You'll never see a safety move to CB unless you're in our situation.

We need 4 great corners starting vs what we have now is 4 average safeties :confused:

Rod Woodson moved from corner to safety late in his career. Darren Woodson was a college LB turned NFL Safety. But yes, with the exception of a freshman Jalen Ramsey, who started at safety just to get him on the field, a move from safety to an island rarely works out.

Gibson- SEC CB
Matthews - SEC CB

This. Get some true CBs playing CB and move guys like Slaughter and Charles back to Safety, and we'll see vast improvement. I personally like Walker at Safety too. He and Slaughter would be my projected starters at Safety next year and I think they're an upgrade.

Reactions: JT3 and LittleVol
Rod Woodson moved from corner to safety late in his career. Darren Woodson was a college LB turned NFL Safety. But yes, with the exception of a freshman Jalen Ramsey, who started at safety just to get him on the field, a move from safety to an island rarely works out.

Rod Woodson was always a Safety. Did you mean Charles Woodson?

That game is just so so odd. A crappy offense, with a slightly better than crappy QB scored touchdowns in 9 out of 10 possessions.
And the only difference that I could really see is Jeremy Banks. Solid LB but, c'mon man.

that was the best game rattler will ever have in his entire life.. sometimes you just get on the wrong end of the best performance a performer will ever have in their career..... it sucks it was us, and it happened when it happened

that was the best game rattler will ever have in his entire life.. sometimes you just get on the wrong end of the best performance a performer will ever have in their career..... it sucks it was us, and it happened when it happened

People forget even players like JG had monster games at times. Reminded me of his Auburn 2018/ Mizzou 2019 performances.

We didnt have any healthy scholarship corners this spring. That might be another reason. Not sure how much of fall camp those guys missed to, but I would have to imagine a fair number missed at least some time in the fall too.

We didnt have any healthy scholarship corners this spring. That might be another reason. Not sure how much of fall camp those guys missed to, but I would have to imagine a fair number missed at least some time in the fall too.
Then they should’ve done a better job getting players through the portal

Reactions: VolNash17
We got worked defensively against SC. There is no way around it, our secondary was bad all year save two games. Some of it was injuries, some was talent, some is coaching. Imo that is Banks unit he is the man responsible for play calling. Leadership starts at the top. Every position group improved except for Safeties and CB..... Martinez played a role however the Safeties are worse than the corners. Banks coaches them. Yes we need more talent, better health. we also need better coaching.

Reactions: LittleVol
That happened a lot this year.
Rattler
Richardson
Bennett 1st half
Young haha (expected)
Even LSU QB had 300 passing and 50 rushing.

yeah, i mean, fair, having a crap D will allow for an opposing player to have an ALL time performance. We gave up a few great performances. However, Rattler's game against us will never happen again in his career. Not sure I can say the same for the others

438 yards and six touchdowns.... he had as many TD's as incompletions nearly..

Every team you just named outside of Ms st and Ole Miss have more talent everywhere, not just in the secondary. I don’t know the star ratings of the starters on either, but i bet it’s pretty similar. Who are the average teams in terms of talent if not the teams I mentioned? Tank is a liability imo and he was a four star. Our D-line is better than average.

Turnage was a four star, Charles top 100 on on3, hadden was a top 500 player along with slaughter. That seems pretty average imo and I DOUBT Vandy and and Mizzou are starting that many guys that were that highly rated coming out.
Aside from our 2 losses our rushing D and redzone D has been pretty solid most of the year. We were ranked right at and around top 10 in both categories all year. Our run defense and redzone D has been solid most of the year. Our weakness is in the secondary and help is on the way. GBO

Reactions: Clevegasvol

VN Store

Back