'21 JUCO CB Khyree Jackson

So can anyone post some stats that would justify wasting a roster spot on this guy? Or are we just saying oh he is from Bama so he has to better than what we have?

I think its more he has to better than what we have now. Bama or no Bama

Has to be better than what we have

Keep in mind, this Bama secondary gave up miles instead of yards against us this year. Hyatt roasted them for 5 TDs, Keaton big plays and plenty for Bru as well.
If he can't cut it this year at Bammer, then I wouldn't crown him King just yet.

LSU wasn’t the team then that they are now and Brian Kelly made some horrible coaching decisions. We did play well that game don’t get me wrong, but Jayden Daniels hadn’t become comfortable as a passer down the field up until that point. Don’t try to sit there and say our secondary is anything other than pathetic. Because it is and has been all season
Still think so?

Reactions: MarcoVol
We just hate the way our defense, especially db,s Play. Don’t know how much is coaching, I’m not that smart, but we are a poor team on that side of the ball. Better Jimmy’s and Joe’s would be of great help.
It's average SEC talent coupled with below average SEC Coaching.
The main problem is Tim Banks. I'm not crazy about the pure fundamentals I see in our secondary either which falls on Martinez.
But just the....philosophy of bend don't break and HOW MUCH we bend is ridiculous.

Reactions: JO VOL
The main problem is Tim Banks. I'm not crazy about the pure fundamentals I see in our secondary either which falls on Martinez.
But just the....philosophy of bend don't break and HOW MUCH we bend is ridiculous.

Our secondary doesn’t have average SEC talent. Let’s at least be honest about that

Our secondary doesn’t have average SEC talent. Let’s at least be honest about that
I have to disagree with that. Average SEC Talent? So we’re talking Arky, Kentucky, Ole Miss, SC ( I know they have Cam Smith). Just because a unit is playing better doesn’t mean they’re more talented. We have more than enough talent to not have the the worst passing defense in CFB. Vandy talent equals what we are getting.

I have to disagree with that. Average SEC Talent? So we’re talking Arky, Kentucky, Ole Miss, SC ( I know they have Cam Smith). Just because a unit is playing better doesn’t mean their more talented. We have more than enough talent to not have the the worst passing defense in CFB. Vandy talent equals what we are getting.

Every team listed here, excluding UK who plays at a snail’s pace, gave up more ppg than our defense.

Taking into account how fast our offense plays opposite of our defense, I’d say zero of these defenses play “better” defense than UT.

I have to disagree with that. Average SEC Talent? So we’re talking Arky, Kentucky, Ole Miss, SC ( I know they have Cam Smith). Just because a unit is playing better doesn’t mean they’re more talented. We have more than enough talent to not have the the worst passing defense in CFB. Vandy talent equals what we are getting.

you seem to be naming the worst teams and calling that average. Also SC 100% has more talent in their secondary than we do. Their freshman class alone has more 4* dbs than our entire roster.

Out of 14 average would probably be 6-8 range and we aren’t there.

Texas AM, Bama, LSU, SC, Florida, Georgia, MS St, Ole MS, all of those teams have more secondary talent than us.

We are on par with Vandy and Missouri in terms of db talent.

Every team listed here, excluding UK who plays at a snail’s pace, gave up more ppg than our defense.

Taking into account how fast our offense plays opposite of our defense, I’d say zero of these defenses play “better” defense than UT.

Agree, one thing that's apparent after this year is that we need different metrics to measure our defense vs other teams with different playing styles. Our defense is playing in more plays than other defenses and because of the nature of our offense they are also defending more against heavy pass offenses.

How many ppg are acceptable to give up? Asking anyone who wants Tim Banks fired.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
you seem to be naming the worst teams and calling that average. Also SC 100% has more talent in their secondary than we do. Their freshman class alone has more 4* dbs than our entire roster.

Out of 14 average would probably be 6-8 range and we aren’t there.

Texas AM, Bama, LSU, SC, Florida, Georgia, MS St, Ole MS, all of those teams have more secondary talent than us.

We are on par with Vandy and Missouri in terms of db talent.
Every team you just named outside of Ms st and Ole Miss have more talent everywhere, not just in the secondary. I don’t know the star ratings of the starters on either, but i bet it’s pretty similar. Who are the average teams in terms of talent if not the teams I mentioned? Tank is a liability imo and he was a four star.

Turnage was a four star, Charles top 100 on on3, hadden was a top 500 player along with slaughter. That seems pretty average imo and I DOUBT Vandy and and Mizzou are starting that many guys that were that highly rated coming out.

Every team you just named outside of Ms st and Ole Miss have more talent everywhere, not just in the secondary. I don’t know the star ratings of the starters on either, but i bet it’s pretty similar. Who are the average teams in terms of talent if not the teams I mentioned? Tank is a liability imo and he was a four star.

Turnage was a four star, Charles top 100 on on3, hadden was a top 500 player along with slaughter. That seems pretty average imo and I DOUBT Vandy and and Mizzou are starting that many guys that were that highly rated coming out.
That On3 rating for Charles doesn't matter when every other service had him as a 3 star and the on3 consensus had him as the 438th best player in the country. If we're using metrics from the recruiting sites, our secondary is still below average for the SEC. People want to fire Banks, but a proven DC isn't coming here without being grossly over paid.

Last edited:
How many ppg are acceptable to give up? Asking anyone who wants Tim Banks fired.
If the South Carolina game never happens, there would be a lot less hand wringing about Banks.
Has the defense been good, occasionally. Has the defense been bad, occasionally.
But the Carolina game has just skewed every discussion tremendously.
I don't think Banks is a great DC, but until the USCe game I thought he was adequate.
Now.................not sure.

If the South Carolina game never happens, there would be a lot less hand wringing about Banks.
Has the defense been good, occasionally. Has the defense been bad, occasionally.
I don't think Banks is a great DC, but until the USCe game I thought he was adequate.
There was improvement from last year that allowed us to take an overall step forward. The improvement wasn't enough to make us be labeled as great on defense, but after years of being trash, serviceable is a nice change. Hopefully with more horses the trajectory changes

Reactions: Smokey19rt

I get that. I questioned after that game too. But it was just 1 game. I’m curious about the posters who want Banks fired, what their wish is for a DC. It’d be great to give up 13 ppg but I don’t see that as realistic.

Curious what names they throw out there. Many have said Arnett at times. Well, Banks defense gave up 23.5. Arnett’s gave up 24.2.

Is it just bc we give up passing yards that people think Arnett’s defense is so much better? 23.5 with a 63 point flop averaged in there is better than 24.2 any way you slice it, isn’t it? I’m not married to Banks but no one has thrown out a name that makes any sense in terms of stats.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

We did have more talent overall than SC. Not by much though..

VN Store

Back