Name Image Likeness

I don't like it either.

Pretty much no choice at this point though. The SC has already stated that they can profit so the NCAA is kind of backed into a corner. Either adapt to the new rules or the sport dies. Same basic situation as the forward pass 100 years ago.

I'm sure in 10 years or so, there will be quite a few more restrictions, etc but everyone is kinda shooting in the dark here until that structure is developed. In the end, I highly doubt that companies will find massive NIL deals to college players add much of at all to the bottom line. So you're gonna be left with fan based NIL situations like Spyre being the main income source for the players. Sure local companies may do something small for certain players like the cookie deals for Tillman this year and Taylor last year. I doubt those kinda things are going to set players up for life or anything.🤣

Reactions: Stephen Gray
When I first heard about NIL my first thoughts it was a way to Tiger Proof the SEC in College Football.
Where Tiger Woods in this case is Nick Saban.

That’s why Day is asking Columbus heavy-hitters for $13 million a year. That’s why Saban, speaking 2 weeks ago to a group in Birmingham with deep pockets, complained that Texas A&M bought every player in its No. 1-ranked recruiting class.

Last edited:
Hooker is the perfect example of why NIL is right.
It won't ruin the game anymore than forming the SEC (that was a thing because yhe teams would beat up on eachother), the forward pass, the touch back, targeting, horse collar tackles, starting at the 25, concussion protocols, having the BCS and also ending the BCS, all of these were supposed to ruin the game at one time or another. Really it's just a bunch old people saying save amateur athletics when really that ship sailed decades ago. The game will adjust and you dinosaurs will find something else you don't like that ruins the game.

Hooker is the perfect example of why NIL is right.
It won't ruin the game anymore than forming the SEC (that was a thing because yhe teams would beat up on eachother), the forward pass, the touch back, targeting, horse collar tackles, starting at the 25, concussion protocols, having the BCS and also ending the BCS, all of these were supposed to ruin the game at one time or another. Really it's just a bunch old people saying save amateur athletics when really that ship sailed decades ago. The game will adjust and you dinosaurs will find something else you don't like that ruins the game.

I agree but it’s gonna take some adjustment. Right now everyone from the coaches to the players are learning how to deal with the situations that come up. I suspect they’ll be better at managing players and personalities as it relates to these kinds of things as they get more experience.

Sure people were always paid but now it’s so much more public. Players probably always knew who was paid and people in that age group are not always the most discreet when it comes to bragging and such. Now though they can easily see someone is making so much money and maybe they are not.

More than that their friends and family and others can and do see and I have no doubt a lot of people can end up in the ears of these young guys convincing them they deserve more

I’m not saying any of this to be critical of them getting compensation. The NCAA and schools made huge money off these guys while giving them substantially less in terms of actual compensation forever. I don’t want to devalue a paid education, and I don’t know what total tuition for 5 years is right now, but I’d say the disparity between those costs and what everyone else makes has always been non-trivial.

Just, in the near term there are going to be a lot of issues as people learn how to deal with the new world.

Well this is certainly a new interesting discussion……
Wasn't meant to be the latest and greatest press release .its just that this is first time in a very new system the NIL already reared its ugly head .and will confirm what most people fear .college football will suffer

Reactions: Tnslim1
I definitely respect your opinion on this one.

However it hasn’t been about an education in a long time. If it were Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern and the like would be getting the good recruits.

Instead they have to get whoever they can for the most part.

I figured it was simple……….just allow anyone to “try” to go pro whenever they wanted. Bam problem solved. They took a different route…….and hey everyone else is getting rich…….why not the guys actually playing?

there will be growing pains along the way; however with any change it sill settle.

If someone was willing to pay me $$ to watch football……..heck I’d let them and be all for it. So if there’s a buyer so to speak……no sweat off my back why should I even worry? Now I understand there will be problems along the way and stuff will happen……….but let’s be real, that kind of stuff happens anyway.

Some folks can handle it and they do………so can’t…….and they couldn’t in the past.
I agree it hasnt been about education ..It is what we always tried to preach .And its now a legal way to pay these kids .My fear is that Nil deal comes from the wrong people .

Maybe they should come up with a minimum NIL payment for everyone or maybe they already do, I know very little about it, I mean nobody is a one man team, one players success is always somewhat intertwined with how well his teammates play but the high profile positions get all the publicity and accolades.

1. I would say they already have a minimum. Scholorarship and about $1000 dollars between Pell Grants and “cost or attending college” allowance.
2. NFL NIL deals are only for the player directly involved. The rest of the team gets nothing. For example, when Tom Brady made the ad for FTX, FTX paid only Tom Brady, FTX did not pay anything to the rest of the team since they had nothing to do with the commercial. Why should they get something for doing nothing?

College football is always going to be packed full of fans and the tailgates will continue and the band will still play. College football is always going to be wildly popular because regardless of what folks say people love the game and they’re team and the atmosphere that goes with it.That isn’t changing!
That is a truly strange take. Seriously.

People lose interest in things all the time. The people in the sport change and the audience changes too. It’s one thing to be on top, and quite another to think “we’re so on top we got nowhere to go but more on-topper”. That is really not a good wager.

The ppl that really hate it is the few that had perfected cheating and channeling money to preferred talent old school.The whole organizations had bought in like cults. The NIL will actually hurt these 4 or 5 teams always on top last 15 years but not devastatingly. That’s why you will see a bit of disconcertion from these few. Overall I think after a 5-10 year span it will level out the distribution of Star power. Which is the heartbeat of teams.

I don’t think it levels out, ever. I just think Alabama might not be the best at it. There will be different haves and have-nots at much much higher, stratospheric, prices.

Reactions: Raebo
Individual Nils are fine but I would like to see effort put into team nils as well.
I recall earlier in the year one team had secured an nil for all offensive linemen.
Seems it was 50k each.

Reactions: Tnslim1 and Raebo
Wasn't meant to be the latest and greatest press release .its just that this is first time in a very new system the NIL already reared its ugly head .and will confirm what most people fear .college football will suffer
This has been discussed to damn death already. It’s not going away. It’s going to be a problem for some, going to be a boon for others. We still don’t know for sure if the rumors are true or if it’s just some DA fan making stuff up. Probably the latter if I had to guess.

Elite players always have been paid, just who is paying them and how much has changed.

The real problem started when coaches became fabulously wealthy in P5 conferences. Too much value distortion between the managers and the featured wealth producers being limited economically by the NCAA rules.

So many people rely on the free market argument to control pay for workers, but this is one case where the free market is finally allowed to work for the players.

Now (econ major here) totally free markets tear groups apart, because just as you create mega wealth for the winners, you have losers who can literally starve without a safety net.

Players will find their level of value commensurate with talent, and some increasing their value over time through hard work. Locker rooms will have income disparities just like any workplace.

The NFL went through this phase after some players were millionaires and their teammates might be making less than $50k. see Johnny "Lam" Jones

College Football will get through this. I don't begrudge the kids getting a slice of the pie they help create. Players either find their level of value through NIL, or they move on. If they want better NIL deals, perform on the field.

If the defense's troubles relate to NIL tension, I suggest they demonstrate their value. As far as I understand, NIL deals can be struck at any time for a player (could be wrong).

And now transfer portal players can be hooked by preferred NIL deals. So players have to perform or be replaced by either experienced portal players or incoming freshmen. This is now survival of the fittest to the extreme.
Some players need to remember not every player in the portal is there voluntarily. Perform or move along.
You can thank ESPN for ruining this sport.

So what? Im saying you could stop some of the bickering if you pay them all something which only makes good sense to me, do you think the starting Guard shouldnt get something while the Quarterback he protects the whole game makes a killing? its a team sport, one player may stand out but he needs the others to be able to do so.
How does that help? You wind up, hypothetically, with Tennessee paying all players a minimum "salary" then Auburn comes along and offers a higher minimum.

1. I would say they already have a minimum. Scholorarship and about $1000 dollars between Pell Grants and “cost or attending college” allowance.
2. NFL NIL deals are only for the player directly involved. The rest of the team gets nothing. For example, when Tom Brady made the ad for FTX, FTX paid only Tom Brady, FTX did not pay anything to the rest of the team since they had nothing to do with the commercial. Why should they get something for doing nothing?
NIL is not something I am a fan of, I think there is alot of breeding ground for animosity when some are getting paid big money and some get nothing, we will see how it all plays out.

How does that help? You wind up, hypothetically, with Tennessee paying all players a minimum "salary" then Auburn comes along and offers a higher minimum.
We're already seeing jealousy growing in the locker room over NIL if the rumors are true, I wish they would get rid of it completely I dont think you pay any of them and its fair, when you start paying one or two animosity will follow.

"I'm sure in 10 years or so, there will be quite a few more restrictions, etc but everyone is kinda shooting in the dark here until that structure is developed."

No, there won't. The SCOTUS NIL decision means that players can get whatever their marketability will bring them.

Those decisions are between the athletes and the NIL sponsors. They will continue to be.

The NCAA violated anti-trust laws for years in this issue. The SCOTUS decision overturned that. The decision cuts the universities out of the loop. They will get their pants sued off in federal court - again - if they try to restrict NIL.

Reactions: SLODAWG
Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .

I think we can see this is already happening. Regardless of the present mysterious situation in our house.

The real problem started when coaches became fabulously wealthy in P5 conferences. Too much value distortion between the managers and the featured wealth producers being limited economically by the NCAA rules.

So many people rely on the free market argument to control pay for workers, but this is one case where the free market is finally allowed to work for the players.

Now (econ major here) totally free markets tear groups apart, because just as you create mega wealth for the winners, you have losers who can literally starve without a safety net.

Players will find their level of value commensurate with talent, and some increasing their value over time through hard work. Locker rooms will have income disparities just like any workplace.

The NFL went through this phase after some players were millionaires and their teammates might be making less than $50k. see Johnny "Lam" Jones

College Football will get through this. I don't begrudge the kids getting a slice of the pie they help create. Players either find their level of value through NIL, or they move on. If they want better NIL deals, perform on the field.

If the defense's troubles relate to NIL tension, I suggest they demonstrate their value. As far as I understand, NIL deals can be struck at any time for a player (could be wrong).

And now transfer portal players can be hooked by preferred NIL deals. So players have to perform or be replaced by either experienced portal players or incoming freshmen. This is now survival of the fittest to the extreme.
Some players need to remember not every player in the portal is there voluntarily. Perform or move along.

I meant to highlight portions of your post, however, the thing that keeps popping into my head is - - WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE SCHOOL/EDUCATION SIDE OF THIS ISSUE. Just remove all ties to "schooling". Divorce sports from "education" make college sports what it is, a PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS that has to follows business rules.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Folks by no means am i bashing Hooker nor any other that is cashing in on a NIL deal .But we have to understand .The NIL will ruin the best sport going in the United States and that is college football.
Yes we know it will draw big recruits to schools .no longer is a good education going to be a draw.
We all know football is composed as ELEVEN men on either side of the ball .and these eleven are like a well oiled machine and all have a job to do .working as one.What do you actually think is going to happen when a few pieces of the machine aren't getting oil.
We have heard all week the speculations and RUMORS.This will not happen happen in our house,it will happen in every house that has the NIL
I think this NIl deal is not only bad but could be very dangerous to the sport .THINK ABOUT IT .

You've heard of mercenary coaches. We will see more mercenary players. The genie is out of the bottle now.

Reactions: Tnslim1 and vols40

Wonder why guys who were already getting paid illegally didn’t ruin the sport.

I don't know that I completely feel like it will destroy college football and this is from someone who was as opposed as possible to "paying players" I also think college football is destroying many great things about college football starting with a 4 team playoff.

Maybe they should come up with a minimum NIL payment for everyone or maybe they already do, I know very little about it, I mean nobody is a one man team, one players success is always somewhat intertwined with how well his teammates play but the high profile positions get all the publicity and accolades.

Maybe by ranking 5* 4* and position* would spread it around a little more and certainly by conduct.

VN Store

Back