Vols #10 in latest CFP rankings

I mean they are in prime position. They beat UGA and they are in.....

1- UGA
7- Bama
Pre CFP / AP#7 - Ole Miss

Would be the most impressive trio of wins for any team this year.

Tennessee and FSU, for their losses, should finish 19-5 combined.... Not terrible record for teams they lost too.
Danny Kanell this morning was claiming UGA’s resume doesn’t justify being in over Clemson should they lose to LSU and Clemson beat UNC. Part of that idiotic analysis was that he said right now (not even after a hypothetical loss to Vandy) that UGA’s win over UT is the same as Clemson’s win over FSU. He’s a moron.

View attachment 516999
So based on this and assuming OSU beats Michigan, UGA beats LSU, and TCU wins out:

CFP 1v4: UGA vs USC
CFP 2v3: OSU vs TCU
Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs Kansas State
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Oregon
Orange Bowl: Clemson vs LSU/Tennessee
Cotton Bowl: LSU/Tennessee vs Penn State

This is also assuming nothing crazy happens.
Looks correct to me. Cotton will have the highest ranked non-power 5 school though. So UT/LSU vs Tulane/UCF/Cincinnati.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Don’t be surprised to see LSU still above Tennessee with a loss to UGA. TCU could also stay above them with a loss to Kstate and Kstate would leapfrog us.
I think this is what happens. If it’s even halfway close they’ll fall in the 7-9 range.

Not what I think should happen, just think they won’t drop them far at all for a loss to UGA.

No team deserves to have their season ruined by one bad game.... I mean we sucked it up but going from playoffs to no NY6 would be a little over the top, IMO.

That said, BEAT VANDY, BADLY.

Not a gimme....

We kind of had two bad games thought, and sort of recently. Also our season isn’t ruined.

I think this is what happens. If it’s even halfway close they’ll fall in the 7-9 range.

Not what I think should happen, just think they won’t drop them far at all for a loss to UGA.

It's already a Joke Bama and LSU are ranked higher than us. Same records and we beat both. No logic.

Reactions: ATC_VOL

Does it even matter though? LSU would go to Orange instead of us and KSU is going to Sugar regardless.

Edit: we’ll I guess if KSU goes to Sugar then TCU would go to Cotton. That would suck

Does it even matter though? LSU would go to Orange instead of us and KSU is going to Sugar regardless.

Edit: we’ll I guess if KSU goes to Sugar then TCU would go to Cotton. That would suck
I think there’s a scenario where whoever is ranked higher between UT/LSU goes to Orange and the lower ranked one goes to Cotton.

Or difference in cotton vs citrus.

Just from what I’ve been able to derive from how the selection process works these days.

Reactions: bpalmer28

It won’t be close. UGA is a 15 point favorite. Yes I know we were just a 22 point favorite

I think there’s a scenario where whoever is ranked higher between UT/LSU goes to Orange and the lower ranked one goes to Cotton.

Or difference in cotton vs citrus.

Just from what I’ve been able to derive from how the selection process works these days.

Yeah. The highest non-Power 5 team having an automatic bid to the cotton bowl clouds the picture but there’s still a realistic path to NY6

Based on what?
I don't have a clue neither does anyone else. It's looking at this time that Vols won't jump Alabama and then have to wait to see how fall LSU falls if they lose to Georgia. I would think Vols need a really good game Saturday or Penn State will jump them for Cotton Bowl. Again no one knows it's all speculation.

Basically beat Vandy and it's the Orange Bowl vs Clemson most likely

I think the orange bowl gets Notre Dame if they win this week. That will knock the SEC teams down a bowl, likely pushing LSU to the Cotton (makes sense geographically) and pushes TN to the Citrus bowl. After reviewing all the bowl tie-ins I really think the Citrus is our ceiling if ND wins against USC. This would have been amazing if you asked fans pre-season, but incredibly disappointing now.

Wins matter more than losses.

Tennessee loss was a blow out, but they lost to a top 10 team.

Florida State is now 8-3 Top 16 team and they lost on a missed PAT by 1 point.

LSU's losses are combined 17-5 and in Top 16..... Those are not bad losses when you look at a season record.
We blew out LSU by 27. If they drop another game they won’t be in front of Tennessee if Tennessee takes care of their business against Vandy. They are lucky to have survived Arkansas. LSU has been up and down. Personally I think they will be in a big time fight on the road against the Aggies. If they happen to lose that one they are for sure going to drop below us.

I think the orange bowl gets Notre Dame if they win this week. That will knock the SEC teams down a bowl, likely pushing LSU to the Cotton (makes sense geographically) and pushes TN to the Citrus bowl. After reviewing all the bowl tie-ins I really think the Citrus is our ceiling if ND wins against USC. This would have been amazing if you asked fans pre-season, but incredibly disappointing now.

Notre Dame has three losses. They ain’t picking them over Tennessee if Tennessee wins. (Because it would also be rematch with either ACC team) If they do for whatever reason, the Cotton bowl will be it then if LSU loses.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back