Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

If we can keep the same energy eliminate just a few mistakes that we made like Marta's two turnovers and foul in about a minute of play or Walker not throwing the pass to Jackson who was wide open for a layup and instead turning it over.

The way you eliminate Marta costing us three consecutive possessions is to not play Marta. She had no business being out there when we have better options.

And yeah, our tiny guards need to get yanked when they try to force shots in the paint or are selfish with the ball.

I went back to the ESPNU feed. I'll give you the first one on #14 but there were clear fouls on the final 2 shots.
Number 24 fouled Horston. She didn't keep her hands straight up. She slapped down. The refs were never going to call a foul on the very last shot. It was a scrum.

The way you eliminate Marta costing us three consecutive possessions is to not play Marta. She had no business being out there when we have better options.

And yeah, our tiny guards need to get yanked when they try to force shots in the paint or are selfish with the ball.
I think she got one more try after that first one and was done for the day. I know she played less than 10 minutes. Evidently Walker has to play not enough people better or at least that is the staffs view.

Stat of the game to me is that we were 14-32 on layups! Not sure how they define layup, but dang. Also we only shot 7 threes.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Just rewatched the end of the game. The over and back not being called correctly was mind blowing. We weren't close to the ball. At 1:31 left on the clock, Key would have had an easy layup but she was hacked hard across the wrist. Peck commented that Key should always be ready to catch the ball and to be strong with it. She was ready and not many people could take the hack she had across the wrist and keep control of the ball. Not her fault. Blind refs on that one. Now on the subject of advancing the ball. We had 3 timeouts left when Franklin got the rebound at 15.4 left. She tried to pass the ball that went out of bounds off of Gonzaga. We called timeout leaving us with 2 timeouts. We couldn't advance the ball because of the attempted pass. I thought she could take a second timeout and advance the ball with that one. Maybe not. I'm not sure on that part of the rule. A timeout could have been taken at about 7 seconds left after we missed the first shot at the end but Kellie decided to let it play out and went home with a timeout in her pocket. The team played hard. Time to let this one go and move on to the Colorado game on Friday. I'll be at that one. Go Lady Vols!

This decision has been explained in the thread now several times. Kellie said she wanted to keep that last timeout available in case Gonzaga got them in a trap situation and would other get the ball on the five second rule . As she also said, that decision was not pivotal because they got open. It was the insane travel call that mucked things up. In the super slow motion replay, it is close to indecipherable as to when the ball leaves Jordan hand in relation to her taking a step. In effect, not close to being an obvious travel and if that play was a travel then there should be about 25 other similar calls in the game. Hindsight is 20-20 so it is easy to say that Kellie should have burned her last time out but on a half court set, it does happen that a team can't get the ball in bounds and winds up turning it over on a 5 second call, which is what Kellie was guarding against. If that had happened, then board would be lighting up over what a crap coach kellie is for not envisioning such a likely scenario and that a good coach would have known to save a timeout for that reason. Such is the beauty of post hoc arm chair coaching..

Number 24 fouled Horston. She didn't keep her hands straight up. She slapped down. The refs were never going to call a foul on the very last shot. It was a scrum.
I can live with most of the way they called fouls, but that over and back was disgraceful. The female Ref ruled it our ball and the Male guy overruled her said Horston touched it and replay showed Horston was no where near the ball. In a game like this one or two possessions mean everything and they got the best of the calls yesterdayJMO.

#9 player in regards to minutes played in the first 6 games (55 total mins). Rotation needs to be cut to 8. Big drop off from Franklin at #7 mins per game @87 total mins and #8 Hollingshead at 59 mins.

This decision has been explained in the thread now several times. Kellie said she wanted to keep that last timeout available in case Gonzaga got them in a trap situation and would other get the ball on the five second rule . As she also said, that decision was not pivotal because they got open. It was the insane travel call that mucked things up. In the super slow motion replay, it is close to indecipherable as to when the ball leaves Jordan hand in relation to her taking a step. In effect, not close to being an obvious travel and if that play was a travel then there should be about 25 other similar calls in the game. Hindsight is 20-20 so it is easy to say that Kellie should have burned her last time out but on a half court set, it does happen that a team can't get the ball in bounds and winds up turning it over on a 5 second call, which is what Kellie was guarding against. If that had happened, then board would be lighting up over what a crap coach kellie is for not envisioning such a likely scenario and that a good coach would have known to save a timeout for that reason. Such is the beauty of post hoc arm chair coaching..
It's not how you stated. We still had 2 timeouts left at that point. She could have taken a second timeout leaving her with the one for the trap situation. We had 3 timeouts when Franklin got the rebound. The question is could we have advanced the ball with a second timeout. Doesn't matter now.

She should’ve never been recruited here. She adds literally nothing except 5 fouls to this team. All she is at this point is a 6’3” Jessie Rennie

#14 got Powell on the arm so bad she didn't even hit iron.
View attachment 516921

#24 Straight up and down? Nope. This is as Horston was going up for her shot.
View attachment 516922

#24 again on the final shot by Powell. Obvious arm to arm contact and not straight up at all.
View attachment 516923

Again, I don't blame the refs for the loss. We should have put the game away easily, but there were several bad, bad calls.
Not trying to stir up a hornets nest here but there is no proof of a foul in any of those three screenshots you posted. I am not saying a foul(s) was not committed, but you cannot use those three frames to prove anything conclusively. Those still shots need full motion film to give anyone the needed perspective to make a judgement either way.

Last edited:
Not trying to stir up a hornets but there is no proof of a foul in any of those three screenshots you posted. I am not saying a foul(s) was not committed, but you cannot use those three frames to show anything conclusively.
Well they went back and corrected themselves in post 726 but thanks for playing.

Reactions: volfan__18
It's not how you stated. We still had 2 timeouts left at that point. She could have taken a second timeout leaving her with the one for the trap situation. We had 3 timeouts when Franklin got the rebound. The question is could we have advanced the ball with a second timeout. Doesn't matter now.

Yes it IS. From the GoVols247 report on the game:

On Tennessee’s penultimate possession with the Lady Vols holding a 72-71 lead, a travel was called with 15.4 seconds left, and Gonzaga took the lead on the added possession. Prior to the whistle, the Lady Vols didn’t advance the ball to midcourt because it would have burned the last timeout. Harper said “an action was taken,” that prevented advancing the ball. Jasmine Franklin secured the defensive rebound, dribbled and then called timeout. To advance the ball on the timeout, no dribble or pass can occur. Tennessee would have had to call a second timeout to advance the ball.
“I wanted to hang on to that last timeout in case we needed it in a five-second situation,” Harper said.

Can we let this one rest now?

Go rewatch the game and how many timeouts were left and when. Don't care what 247 says. I know what I can see with my own eyes. Go back and re-read the timeline sequence I wrote. There were 3 left at 15.4. We took one, leaving 2. Watch the game.

We have a number 19 NET Ranking we just need to win some games. Have been rewarded very well for the schedule we've played. Our Net Ranking is better than LSU which is 24 even though they are 5 and 0 have not played a team yet ranked below 300.
I don't believe the NET rankings have even come out yet. Maybe you are looking at the end of season NET from last year.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Go rewatch the game and how many timeouts were left and when. Don't care what 247 says. I know what I can see with my own eyes. Go back and re-read the timeline sequence I wrote. There were 3 left at 15.4. We took one, leaving 2. Watch the game.

So, 247 is wrong; Kellie is wrong and the official play by play breakdown is also wrong; and you are RIGHT; Got it! Thank you beacon of infallibility.

Women's Basketball vs Gonzaga on 11/21/2022 - Box Score - University of Tennessee Athletics

#14 got Powell on the arm so bad she didn't even hit iron.
View attachment 516921

#24 Straight up and down? Nope. This is as Horston was going up for her shot.
View attachment 516922

#24 again on the final shot by Powell. Obvious arm to arm contact and not straight up at all.
View attachment 516923

Again, I don't blame the refs for the loss. We should have put the game away easily, but there were several bad, bad calls.

Shot 24 is pretty clearly a foul. The ole vertically principle is violated and Jordan leg is getting hooked by the Gonzaga player.

Thanks! I stand corrected!
This could just be this years records and last years Net although I think we finished higher than 19 anyway not a problem we win some games the early schedule will help us and if we don't won't matter anyway.

So, 247 is wrong; Kellie is wrong and the official play by play breakdown is also wrong; and you are RIGHT; Got it! Thank you beacon of infallibility.

Women's Basketball vs Gonzaga on 11/21/2022 - Box Score - University of Tennessee Athletics
That timeout we took after the travel call was our last one you can read the boxscore and see when all the timeouts were taken. Each team has four in a game. We had three going into the last quarter took them all meaning if we had taken that last timeout to advance the ball that would have been it. Even knowing that think I do it even though I think that Ref would've call something anyway JMO.

Now you want to blame the refs i get it you and a few others will circle the wagon until the wheels fall off. How about start blaming the coach KJH and the players. TN had a chance to put this game away and they did not. I`m not calling for KJH to be fire and not saying she is a bad coach. She and her staff and the players need to sit down and talk about how do we get this ship turned out and headed in the right direction.
Thanks for the honest opinion i agree with this totally . Folks may gang up on you for it but at least your in reality and being transparent.

VN Store

Back