Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

If effort or insubordination were the main issues I think this would be appropriate. Our main issues right now are cohesion and definition of roles. The coaches need to narrow down the PT and give the players clear instructions, then there can be tough love if the players do not execute.

I don't disagree with that. Defined roles is a big factor right now or lack of defined roles.

Reactions: 37620VOL
I think the reason they're calling it vague is because she said in the same sentence that she couldn't advance the ball because an action had already taken place and she didn't want to burn her last timeout in case there might be a risk for a 5 sec violation. If the first part of the statement was true (I don't remember the play), then the 2nd part makes no sense. That's why it's confusing.

Right, I don't understand the second TO comment either unless it was due to how the question was asked.

By rule, she couldn't advance in that situation. There are many criticisms. This is not one.
Yesterdays posts were all focus of player mistakes and player attitude and then it became a defense of Kellie which i do understand but we need to have the same standards for our players as we do for our coach . I want her to succeed but its exhausting. The players attitude and play is a direct reflection of the coaching.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
last possession why did we take ball out at 12 plus seconds in a 1 point game and put up shot with full 10 seconds on clock?

What kind of play call is that

Reactions: Lurker
last possession why did we take ball out at 12 plus seconds in a 1 point game and put up shot with full 10 seconds on clock?

To give enough time for an offensive rebound and 2nd effort but not so much time left that Gonzaga could score quickly on the other end after a make

Yesterdays posts were all focus of player mistakes and player attitude and then it became a defense of Kellie which i do understand but we need to have the same standards for our players as we do for our coach . I want her to succeed but its exhausting. The players attitude and play is a direct reflection of the coaching.

The last statement is not wrong.

Two reasons to give yourself a chance for a rebound and second shot and if they get the rebound foul so you still have another chance with a three pointer to tie. Turns out we had three shots at it and none went in.

Looking forward to the next game see if we have the same energy as we had in the game yesterday. Some want to say that Gonzaga is not a good team but they had everybody back from a team that lost to Stanford 66 to 62 last season and Stanford was a final four team. If we can keep the same energy eliminate just a few mistakes that we made like Marta's two turnovers and foul in about a minute of play or Walker not throwing the pass to Jackson who was wide open for a layup and instead turning it over. Very proud of the team and coaching staff starting to see some progress and were quickly learning who the players are that we can depend on.

ehm ... and got fouled on all 3 shots.
I haven't seen the replay of that last few seconds so I will accept your decision that there was a foul. Way before that last play there were two or three other plays during the game that were just terrible. Any one possession could've made the difference and we got the least of the calls yesterday. I think the male Ref was a Gonzaga man all the way. He was the main culprit of bad calls.

ehm ... and got fouled on all 3 shots.

Definitely a foul would have been called on at least one of those shots if that sequence had happened in say the 3rd quarter. Since it was at the end of the game, the refs apparently decided (cough) that they should not effect the game with a late close call.

I haven't seen the replay of that last few seconds so I will accept your decision that there was a foul. Way before that last play there were two or three other plays during the game that were just terrible. Any one possession could've made the difference and we got the least of the calls yesterday. I think the male Ref was a Gonzaga man all the way. He was the main culprit of bad calls.

Now you want to blame the refs i get it you and a few others will circle the wagon until the wheels fall off. How about start blaming the coach KJH and the players. TN had a chance to put this game away and they did not. I`m not calling for KJH to be fire and not saying she is a bad coach. She and her staff and the players need to sit down and talk about how do we get this ship turned out and headed in the right direction.

Now you want to blame the refs i get it you and a few others will circle the wagon until the wheels fall off. How about start blaming the coach KJH and the players. TN had a chance to put this game away and they did not. I`m not calling for KJH to be fire and not saying she is a bad coach. She and her staff and the players need to sit down and talk about how do we get this ship turned out and headed in the right direction.

I thought you were a Georgia fan who dropped by to give recruiting opinions. I didn't think you followed the team so closely.

Yes I blame them did you watch the game or do you know how to watch a game? Did you see the over and back when they threw a pass out to their point she missed it and it went into the backcourt and they said Horston touched it and she wasn't within five feet of the ball. I totally blame that male Ref the other two seemed to be ok he was definitely biased you would have to be blind watching the game not to notice it. Second you can't call for anyone to be fired or that their a bad coach so why even bring it up. Are you the AD of Tennessee? If so I guess you do have the power is that you Mr White?

That would have been a fair statement after their low energy against UCLA. They bounced back like crazy against Gonzaga. Really good defensive intensity and were right there but experience a gut wrenching, As Kellie said, the trick now is keeping their spirits up and challenging them to bring that effort every game.

Louisville got spanked twice in this tournament too. It can happen. I think we will see that these two teams--UCLA and Gonzaga--are better than their early season rankings at least right now in this Nov. and Dec. stretch.

To give enough time for an offensive rebound and 2nd effort but not so much time left that Gonzaga could score quickly on the other end after a make
with that in mind i would have waited until the 5 seconds mark i havent seen other teams in that close a game shoot with 10 seconds on clock...

Reactions: Raebo

We should have won the game regardless of the bad calls - that was within OUR control. But there were at least 5 clearly bad calls against the LVs in the second half. Both statements are true.

i saw the defenders with arms up straight up and down...... i need to see the end of game again..... didnt think foul call was warranted

#14 got Powell on the arm so bad she didn't even hit iron.
1669137023748.png

#24 Straight up and down? Nope. This is as Horston was going up for her shot.
1669137110607.png

#24 again on the final shot by Powell. Obvious arm to arm contact and not straight up at all.
1669137257764.png

Again, I don't blame the refs for the loss. We should have put the game away easily, but there were several bad, bad calls.

Just rewatched the end of the game. The over and back not being called correctly was mind blowing. We weren't close to the ball. At 1:31 left on the clock, Key would have had an easy layup but she was hacked hard across the wrist. Peck commented that Key should always be ready to catch the ball and to be strong with it. She was ready and not many people could take the hack she had across the wrist and keep control of the ball. Not her fault. Blind refs on that one. Now on the subject of advancing the ball. We had 3 timeouts left when Franklin got the rebound at 15.4 left. She tried to pass the ball that went out of bounds off of Gonzaga. We called timeout leaving us with 2 timeouts. We couldn't advance the ball because of the attempted pass. I thought she could take a second timeout and advance the ball with that one. Maybe not. I'm not sure on that part of the rule. A timeout could have been taken at about 7 seconds left after we missed the first shot at the end but Kellie decided to let it play out and went home with a timeout in her pocket. The team played hard. Time to let this one go and move on to the Colorado game on Friday. I'll be at that one. Go Lady Vols!

#14 got Powell on the arm so bad she didn't even hit iron.
View attachment 516921

#24 Straight up and down? Nope. This is as Horston was going up for her shot.
View attachment 516922

#24 again on the final shot by Powell. Obvious arm to arm contact and not straight up at all.
View attachment 516923

Again, I don't blame the refs for the loss. We should have put the game away easily, but there were several bad, bad calls.
Bad angle. There was no contact of the arm if you view this play from the side. I just replayed it 5 times. No contact.

VN Store

Back