Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on man. Get over yourself. You just have trouble with facts that tend to go against your opinion. You have trouble conceding things. Seriously, the DL is more talented than our secondary. That doesn’t mean Garner is bad and that doesn’t show that Banks is good. But if clearly was trying to show what unit is the worst we have. It’s bad.

You were trying to be nice? Just have a rational conversation and consider what facts are presented.
You got it big guy

I never said we had great talent. I said we had enough talent to keep SC from scoring 62. The talent needs to improve, I said that numerous times before. If you thinks he's getting everything out of the talent that's over there, good for you. As for me he's not maximizing the talent in the least bit. Actually he's making the players look worse than they are.

And they played above their talent in several games. Probability says that we’re coming back down to the mean. Whatever. Talent stinks is the bottom line.

remember when Clemson had to deal with the "Clemsoning" tag for like five years?

2011 (10-4) worked their way from unranked to number 6 by Halloween, and lost 3 of their last 5 to end the season (incl. loss to rival SC). Still ended up in the Orange Bowl and got S M O K E D by WVU 70-33. "Clemsoning" is born, I think by Dan and Ty on the Solid Verbal Podcast. I remember those days and episodes vividly.

2012 (11-2) got to top 10 by the time they played FSU week 4, lost 49-37. Lost to rival SC to end the season.

2013 (11-2) got to number 3 for their week 7 game against FSU and got destroyed 51-14. Lose to SC at the end of the season.

2014 (10-3) blown out at home to UGA to start the season. Lost to FSU again early in the season. Stomped by GT late in the season. Finally overcame SC.

2015 got back inside the top 10 and a reporter actually asked Dabo about "Clemsoning"

RIP "Clemsoning" as they finished Runner Up

2016 National Champions

2017 Semi-Finalist

2018 National Champions

2019 Runner-Up

2020 Semi-Finalist

2021 back to reality

2022 probably not making it in

The point is...

It's so rarely a linear rise to the top.

Dabo and Clemson had to play ok, then good, but good wasn't good enough, to the point that the national media coined a new phrase to make fun of them. Good became better. Better became best. Now almost any program would kill for their success.

You take licks in this sport. Sometimes you're the laughing stock. Ups and downs, just like in life.

Great post

If they’re gonna fire him, they should fire him fully.
giphy.gif

I don't get it. No one predicted we would beat Bama, LSU, Florida, and Pitt and have a chance to win 10-11 games this year. We have played above our heads all year long. Now, we have a really bad loss to a bad SC team, and we're trying to find something wrong with us. Why can't the reason be that we have played above our heads all year, especially with the lack of talent we have on defense. We went to a road environment at night, we played horrible and also lost our starting QB, both starting corners, and a starting WR while also missing our best LB and at the same time SC played outstanding. Yes, some of that was due to our poor defense, but anyone who watches that game can see that Rattler played at a level he had never played at before. He was dropping dimes, even when on the run he was putting balls on the money. Sometimes that happens. Why do we have to find something wrong?

I don't understand this firing everybody, looking for internal problems, trying to find something to blame. Fact is, we are still a low talent team on defense and SC played above their heads and we played horribly. But this doesn't mean that everything is burning down, or that our program is about to be in shambles, or whatever else I've seen.

Look at other teams. UGA went 8-4 in year 1 with a loss to Vandy. Yes, they went to the NC in year 2, but they played no one to get there. They had a pitiful SOC that year, and they got blown out by AU in the regular season. They got to go to the NC because they played AU again, instead of Alabama in Atlanta and then went on to lose to Bama for the championship game. That playoff appearance doesn't happen if they play Bama in Atlanta.

In year 3, GA went 11-3, with a blowout loss to a mediocre LSU team, a loss to Bama in Atlanta, and a loss to a mediocre Texas team in the bowl game.
In year 4, Kirby lost to a 4-8 (4-8!!!!) SC team in a day time game at Willie B and then got blown out by LSU in Atlanta.

In year 5, Kirby went 8-2 with blowout losses to Florida and Alabama. Uncompetitive losses in both games.

And Kirby did that with far more, far more talent than what Heup has. Our roster would not compete with any of those rosters, especially on defense, and we're wanting to burn the program down looking for answers because of one bad loss. So many are panicked because of one bad loss? Give me a break! That doesn't mean that some changes shouldn't be made on defense, but I just don't understand why there are so many looking for explanations to what happened. It's year 2.

You should have stopped after the first 2 sentences. Yes, we have played way above our heads all year. Yes, no one expected a 11-1 or 10-2 season. Everything after that was just pure BS.

I don't care what Bama or GA did in any year. I only care about what TN does. TN had an opportunity to do something it hasn't done in 24 years- play for a national championship. The defense appeared to not be interested in playing the game. There is no excuse to give up 5 straight TD drives in the first half-NONE. The coaches did not pivot to a new plan at halftime, the players did not step up their play, and we had one player talking smack after getting beat over and over. This game shows me that there are major issues on the defense- coaches and players.

These players and coaches may never get another chance at the opportunity they had Saturday night. Instead of grasping that opportunity and running with it, they pulled an Amber Heard and **** the bed. Players and fans have every right to be upset and wonder WTF happened. That doesn't mean we can't appreciate the great season they have put together. It just means we are extremely disappointment about what they gave away Saturday night.

Reactions: StoVol
It's true. USCe has competitive talent. Rattler's release is quick and he has a strong arm. Wasn't he the No. 1 QB coming out of HS a few years ago. Beamer and the Cock fans have been pointing at the Tennessee game for awhile. Seems like the night game atmosphere over there in Columbia was festive. Wish we had taken the late turn-over rather than given it.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I don't get it. No one predicted we would beat Bama, LSU, Florida, and Pitt and have a chance to win 10-11 games this year. We have played above our heads all year long. Now, we have a really bad loss to a bad SC team, and we're trying to find something wrong with us. Why can't the reason be that we have played above our heads all year, especially with the lack of talent we have on defense. We went to a road environment at night, we played horrible and also lost our starting QB, both starting corners, and a starting WR while also missing our best LB and at the same time SC played outstanding. Yes, some of that was due to our poor defense, but anyone who watches that game can see that Rattler played at a level he had never played at before. He was dropping dimes, even when on the run he was putting balls on the money. Sometimes that happens. Why do we have to find something wrong?

I don't understand this firing everybody, looking for internal problems, trying to find something to blame. Fact is, we are still a low talent team on defense and SC played above their heads and we played horribly. But this doesn't mean that everything is burning down, or that our program is about to be in shambles, or whatever else I've seen.

Look at other teams. UGA went 8-4 in year 1 with a loss to Vandy. Yes, they went to the NC in year 2, but they played no one to get there. They had a pitiful SOC that year, and they got blown out by AU in the regular season. They got to go to the NC because they played AU again, instead of Alabama in Atlanta and then went on to lose to Bama for the championship game. That playoff appearance doesn't happen if they play Bama in Atlanta.

In year 3, GA went 11-3, with a blowout loss to a mediocre LSU team, a loss to Bama in Atlanta, and a loss to a mediocre Texas team in the bowl game.
In year 4, Kirby lost to a 4-8 (4-8!!!!) SC team in a day time game at Willie B and then got blown out by LSU in Atlanta.

In year 5, Kirby went 8-2 with blowout losses to Florida and Alabama. Uncompetitive losses in both games.

And Kirby did that with far more, far more talent than what Heup has. Our roster would not compete with any of those rosters, especially on defense, and we're wanting to burn the program down looking for answers because of one bad loss. So many are panicked because of one bad loss? Give me a break! That doesn't mean that some changes shouldn't be made on defense, but I just don't understand why there are so many looking for explanations to what happened. It's year 2.
Ok...I appreciate this and I get it...but..

If we had lost 38-34 or something like that, then I for one could deal with it...but..

That was not just a "bad" loss, that was a horrid nightmarish catastrophically awful loss..

That is why I am so infuriated at the play calling and effort...and it is understandable..period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back