Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

Wow that's an incredible mistake on the part of the entire staff. Especially in light of how little margin of error we have and how badly we needed this win. I'm sure Cora Hall will ask her on the post game zoom. She's an actual good reporter.

Agreed, I am very curious to hear the rationale. I really hope it is something like "of course, we asked but the refs refused."

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
A lot of excuses being made right now , Players slipped , tech shouldnt have been called on franklin , Travel was the game deciding call and not one in regards to the defensive mistakes after each situation along with the call's from the sidelines.

Is anyone besides me concerned about the young human beings who suited up today, played their hearts out in a loss, and how devastated they are right this minute? In this moment I can't give much of a damn about basketball. Those girls are reeling. 😢😢😢😢😢💔

And please don't say, "Good! They ought to be!" or some ish like that. This is more important than a game or even a program.

Did we get screwed on the walking call on Horston? Our radio man made it clear it was a BS call, in his opinion.

Didn't see the game, but reading the stats it seems that we played a decent game, overall. Shot 42/43 percent--that's good enough to win, usually. Outrebounded Gonzaga. Still, not enough assists, and we made only 3 treys.

Fourteen TOs--not great, but not bad for us.

It's HARD to beat a decent/good opponent if you make fewer than 5 treys--FACT. Gonzaga had 8 treys today. We have to make more 3s.

It was another game where Key didn't contribute a lot in 20 minutes---only 1 rebound, two turnovers, 3 shots taken, 2 made = 7 points. Her minutes should
be dictated by the personnel of our opponent; I assume the coaches factor that in now.

RE Hollingshead, I haven't seen much of her game--she hasn't played much at all--but have seen that she is athletic for a big, and so the coaches should be working her hard in practice. She needs to be developed to help us this year and, certainly, for next year. She needs to be pushed, and pushed hard, to get better.

We had 3 shots to win it on the last possession--what can we say?

Reactions: glv98
My only concern with Franklin is that she's not a rim protector. Of course, this season's version of Tamari Key really isn't either, so I suppose it's a moot point.
Not now. She used to be before her injury. Good part is she will continue to recover from her injury and she is moving better than she was 2 weeks ago.

I think a couple more pieces fell into place today in a tough and controversial game. Franklin, coming off knee surgery, was a contributor today. The synergy between Jordan and Rickea is growing. Still many things to address but I expected a loss today and we almost pulled it out.

Looking at the stat sheet, it's hard to figure how we lost this game. We won the TO battle. We won the rebounding battle. We made more FTs, AND we shot better percentages from 2 and 3!

Here we go now being sour about the walk call, After looking at it 3 times she took 3 steps before she put the ball on the floor. But let`s get real about why they lost this game. This team has no identity right now and a coach who has no fire. I have seen many coaches get in a players face when you are turning the ball over bad pass not playing defense. I just don`t see this with KJH. I`m not calling for her to be fired and she should not be fired. But it`s time for her to start holding players accountable for poor play.
Just because she doesn't publicly get in their faces doesn't mean she doesn't do it in the locker room. To say she has no fire is just not right. I watched her on the sideline today and she was full of fire. Just ask the refs. I thought she was gonna get a technical on one call.

Did we get screwed on the walking call on Horston? Our radio man made it clear it was a BS call, in his opinion.

Didn't see the game, but reading the stats it seems that we played a decent game, overall. Shot 42/43 percent--that's good enough to win, usually. Outrebounded Gonzaga. Still, not enough assists, and we made only 3 treys.

Fourteen TOs--not great, but not bad for us.

It's HARD to beat a decent/good opponent if you make fewer than 5 treys--FACT. Gonzaga had 8 treys today. We have to make more 3s.

It was another game where Key didn't contribute a lot in 20 minutes---only 1 rebound, two turnovers, 3 shots taken, 2 made = 7 points. Her minutes should
be dictated by the personnel of our opponent; I assume the coaches factor that in now.

RE Hollingshead, I haven't seen much of her game--she hasn't played much at all--but have seen that she is athletic for a big, and so the coaches should be working her hard in practice. She needs to be developed to help us this year and, certainly, for next year. She needs to be pushed, and pushed hard, to get better.

We had 3 shots to win it on the last possession--what can we say?
I thought maybe the call was getting the hand under the ball on the behind the back dribble I. Don't think she did but I think that is what they called

Reactions: vol94
Looking at the stat sheet, it's hard to figure how we lost this game. We won the TO battle. We won the rebounding battle. We made more FTs, AND we shot better percentages from 2 and 3!
My personal opinion is we lost because we dont have the same tamari key . Some posters stated " we dont need her" but obviously we do were 2-4 with a much talented team than last years squad that started 18-1 with Key being a focal point on the low block. Someone has to find continuity and fluidity with our big 3 if were going even make the NCAA tourney .

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Being a Tennessee fan in general is painful sometimes lol!
Agreed , its hard and its gotten even harder the last decade. Im a fan through and through which is why i get so pissed when we do not live up to expectations of the programs history. Sorry if i offend any posters with my comments but i have to vent somewhere to people who understand.

My personal opinion is we lost because we dont have the same tamari key . Some posters stated " we dont need her" but obviously we do were 2-4 with a much talented team than last years squad that started 18-1 with Key being a focal point on the low block. Someone has to find continuity and fluidity with our big 3 if were going even make the NCAA tourney .
I agree with you but for an opposite reason. It was what Tamari did on defense that was what kept Tennessee in games. Even if they couldn't score, their defense anchored by Tamari made damn sure the other team wasn't gonna get an easy looks either. This season, she's just taking up space and opposing teams are not afraid to go right at her.

Really, the only way the math adds up is that they shot more 3s than we did. they shot a lower percentage, but 3 is more than 2 so the end result is they "lived by the 3" and lived.

Reactions: glv98
Horston? If it's the play I'm thinking of, that was a poorly acted flop that no one was gonna buy.

If it was a flop then you can add that to the bad decisions that were made. She is taller, faster and can jump higher than that girl. Make her shoot over you. Either way, they got the ball within 2 ft of the goal with minimal effort. You have already had a poor defensive possession when that happens.

VN Store

Back