Game Thread: (11/12) Lady Vols. 72 - Gonzaga. 73

I'm not conceding that either. We'll have to see how it goes this season is far from over. I can see 8 or 9 wins coming up and there are only three maybe four teams as good as Gonzaga or the other teams we lost to in the SEC this year. I do think she will need to think playing top teams early in the season start out more like LSU who are 5 and 0 and have played no one and don't plan to until SEC play comes around.
I agree with this genuinely .

Tough start to the season but the coaching staff knew we would be a work in progress for a while.
My only concern is the kids get don’t get too frustrated to keep fighting.
As far as the haters on here, who love nothing better than a close loss, maybe venting about the coaches or kids etc. somehow makes you feel better but honestly they owe you nothing. If they make you mad then find another team or don’t watch sports. Being a fan means supporting your team through good and bad. Sure it is frustrating when mistakes are made or you disagree with a play call, time out usage etc. but the level of vitriol and sheer stupidity spewed here is really just crazy.
Evidently a lot of spoiled brats in our “fan” base.

Tough start to the season but the coaching staff knew we would be a work in progress for a while.
My only concern is the kids get don’t get too frustrated to keep fighting.
As far as the haters on here, who love nothing better than a close loss, maybe venting about the coaches or kids etc. somehow makes you feel better but honestly they owe you nothing. If they make you mad then find another team or don’t watch sports. Being a fan means supporting your team through good and bad. Sure it is frustrating when mistakes are made or you disagree with a play call, time out usage etc. but the level of vitriol and sheer stupidity spewed here is really just crazy.
Evidently a lot of spoiled brats in our “fan” base.
I could get in the other camp if we can't come out and win the next game at home it is bigger than this game. I would say it is a must win for Kellie you can't lose home games.

Blah.

I was so excited to watch this team play. Was salivating all off season.

Now this.

They still have the talent to turn things around but it needs to happen quick, fast and in a hurry. We can’t lose all these games and kid ourselves that it won’t affect our tournament chances. We haven’t lost to a “bad” team yet but we haven’t beaten any good ones either.

Just at a loss for why the defense and rebounding are so poor.
I have not been able to catch a LV game yet, this season, so I can’t even pretend to put a finger on what’s wrong, however, I do know that defense and rebounding are typically attributed to hustle/want to, or lack of.

With Tess getting into foul trouble, the LVs spent a lot of the 2nd half without any outside shooting threat on the floor. I am actually surprised how well the offense worked given how much Gonzago could pack the paint against a team where all five LVs are in the paint scorers.

Defense effort was much improved. TOs were down. I have not seen the box score but, the LVs ball security was much better than in past games. So, definite improvement, even though it was a tough loss, where the ref played too much of game changing on the phantom travel call.

Franklin played very well but her minutes still have to be managed as she is only 10 to 11 months off an ACL repair. So. her role can expand as the season goes on but Key needs to find her groove. Rather than writing her off or name calling her names, folks need to realize that is an important piece of the team who is in a slump. It happens to all players. She just needs to just keep working and she will get back to the good Tamari of last mid-season.
We'd have something going if Tamari could just give us what Franklin is giving. Franklin isn't back to where she was before the ACL but she is getting there more and more every game. If she was as tall as Tamari she would be one of the top players in all WCCB.

Losing a game that you were on the verge of putting away is always so hard to swallow, especially with how our season has gone so far. As I have settled back down, I have more hope for this team than I did after the Indiana or even the UCLA games. This is because we saw the emergence of Franklin in the 2nd half to be the force that she can be on defense, rebounding, and making shots around the rim. This team desperately needs these qualities! I don't expect this to happen yet, but I would definitely start Powell, Horston, Jackson, Franklin, and Darby (I never thought I would say this). They all have had some ups and down this year, but they have been more engaged and have shown the highest potential among the players at their positions so far this year. There is so much experience in this group, I could see them jelling really well. I can't imagine how good Franklin will become as she heals and adjusts to playing ball again. Let her 2nd half be a harbinger of good things to come.

NO its the 2 clutch decisions by the HC to give Powell the ball and go for the shot with 70 seconds left up 1 when Horston and Rickea had carried the team the entire game. NOT to mention the decision to not advance the ball after the Timeout which gave gonzaga back the ball for the win ....Can you explain that by chance ?
Actually, there is a fairly reasonable explanation for that decision. The Lady Vols were up by one with 15.6 sec left in the game. Gonzaga was in the position of fouling to avoid the Lady Vols running out the clock. The Lady Vols were not in the position of needing a quick score and there would be time left on the clock after any free throws allowing the coach to use her last time out at that point. In fact, the Gonzaga player was trying to foul Horston when the ref blew the whistle and called traveling.
There are plenty of other coaching decisions in this game that deserve scrutiny, but the focus of so many of the fans on this paticular one is, in my opinion, misplaced.

Jim

I can blame them when they make bad calls. We win if they call it fair today.
I listened to the 4th qt in car and Brian Rice was upset saying the phantom foul calls on us the walk and then the big pushed Jordan off to get the game winning shot. It sounds like the officials were determined to help the Zags stay and win this game. He was very adamant. In CHRIST Alone

Can I ask a serious question? How much athleticism do we put on the floor?
Are we matching teams athletically?

Powell, Horston, Jackson, Franklin are all athletic. Hollingshead is too, but a raw athleticism. Wynn is very athletic but doesn'thave basketball skills. other than that..........

I listened to the 4th qt in car and Brian Rice was upset saying the phantom foul calls on us the walk and then the big pushed Jordan off to get the game winning shot. It sounds like the officials were determined to help the Zags stay and win this game. He was very adamant. In CHRIST Alone
That’s his job.

Well, I guess Jordan found a homer who bought her flop. Too bad he didn't have a whistle...

Actually, there is a fairly reasonable explanation for that decision. The Lady Vols were up by one with 15.6 sec left in the game. Gonzaga was in the position of fouling to avoid the Lady Vols running out the clock. The Lady Vols were not in the position of needing a quick score and there would be time left on the clock after any free throws allowing the coach to use her last time out at that point. In fact, the Gonzaga player was trying to foul Horston when the ref blew the whistle and called traveling.
There are plenty of other coaching decisions in this game that deserve scrutiny, but the focus of so many of the fans on this paticular one is, in my opinion, misplaced.
Except that getting the ball up the floor without mishap is a very unsure thing for this team. No one could have seen the travel call coming, but you had to know a free trip across half court was valuable. They still would have tried to foul, only in front court without the adventure of getting across half court.

Reactions: ocoandasoc
Except that getting the ball up the floor without mishap is a very unsure thing for this team. No one could have seen the travel call coming, but you had to know a free trip across half court was valuable. They still would have tried to foul, only in front court without the adventure of getting across half court.
No need to put the ball on the floor so quick in hindsight. If she had just secured the ball they would have fouled her

Jim

Yep, I agree. Who's to say we could get the ball in any easier on the sideline rather than the endline? We always seem to have a hard time getting the ball in. Maybe because we put short players on the throw-in?

VN Store

Back