Not a good day to bring this up...but it is VERY IMPORTANT

Didn't say he sucked this year overall but that embarrassment should give anyone pause to see how he reacts to it before throwing a brinks truck at him. 6-6 Florida that we almost lost because...shock the defense and an Alabama team that's almost as bad on the road as Tennessee doesn't impress nearly as much when staring 63-38 gamecocks in the face
It's not "the Jimbo deal" or nothing. Heupel is NOT well paid for an SEC coach but his performance has been quite good considering where it was when he took over this program.

Perhaps you've forgotten the dumpster fire he inherited just a couple of years ago? He's done a fabulous job.

Does that mean give him $100M? Hell no. Does that mean leave him at one of the lowest paid coaches in the SEC? Hell no.

Reward what he's done.

It's not "the Jimbo deal" or nothing. Heupel is NOT well paid for an SEC coach but his performance has been quite good considering where it was when he took over this program.

Perhaps you've forgotten the dumpster fire he inherited just a couple of years ago? He's done a fabulous job.

Does that mean give him $100M? Hell no. Does that mean leave him at one of the lowest paid coaches in the SEC? Hell no.

Reward what he's done.

I haven't forgotten the dumpster fire. I also haven't forgotten 2016 either when we lost to vandy. Wait to see if he has the balls to bounce back and thump vandy and win a bowl game. 4 loss season doesn't deserve a raise.

Reactions: tbones0711
Your right. Not a good day to bring this up. Need to see if there is fire to all this locker room smoke. Need to see how team plays next week. Need to see what happens in recruiting. Just suffered the worst loss by a ranked team since the 1800’s. I like CJH but the SEC ain’t everyone’s cup of tea. Need to be cautious with big contract extensions. We need to see if he wants to be an SEC coach before we open the bank vaults. For the first time since he has been here last night I seen doubt in his face on the sideline and post game press conference. Let’s see how he finishes this season before we pay him top dollar.

Reactions: tbones0711
Today is nether the day to talk contract extension or pay raises for the coaching staff or to ask for donations and announce ticket price increases to the fans.

Reactions: JacketVol
I haven't forgotten the dumpster fire. I also haven't forgotten 2016 either when we lost to vandy. Wait to see if he has the balls to bounce back and thump vandy and win a bowl game. 4 loss season doesn't deserve a raise.
Again, when Oklahoma makes a run at him and he's looking at a TN program that didn't appreciate the turnaround and leaves, you guys will be the first complaining Danny White is an idiot and needs to go.

This is how TN ended up with the ugly coaching history we've had. Once you get a coach who obviously can lead, can turnaround seasons of an awful culture, and can give a bit of success....... it's still not enough for some of this fan base.

Expecting perfection or get out isn't a reasonable way to run a business.

Again, when Oklahoma makes a run at him and he's looking at a TN program that didn't appreciate the turnaround and leaves, you guys will be the first complaining Danny White is an idiot and needs to go.

This is how TN ended up with the ugly coaching history we've had. Once you get a coach who obviously can lead, can turnaround seasons of an awful culture, and can give a bit of success....... it's still not enough for some of this fan base.

Expecting perfection or get out isn't a reasonable way to run a business.
Nowhere did I expect perfection. I do expect our defense to be ready to compete. I expect our coach to do something when they aren't and haven't been multiple times this year. He got a raise once this year already. I'm appreciative of the work that's been done but can it be sustained?

A 10-2 season hard fought losing to quality opponents isn't sucking.

Losing by over 3 TDs to a team you were favored by 3TDs is.

That's a logical flaw; you aren't seeing the mountain for the molehill. No one's satisfied with that loss - or even the GA loss - but damn, you don't get to ignore there's nine wins on the board, and several of them much better than SC.

Our defense has telegraphed all year a CFP run - hell, even 9 wins - is a Cinderella story that shouldn't happen. You start choking that off in year TWO, and see what happens.

GA won by a slim 10 points @ Lexington where we blew them out. Logically, we should have beaten GA, but the game doesn't work that way. This team is dramatically improved but still needs *s and depth, and probably a new DC.

Should Heupel be the 11th-rank salaried coach in the SEC?

Kirby's record and finally winning a championship is a testament to how hard it is to get thru the SEC each year without a loss. We love to beat each other up. And look at those 7-1 conference records---who do you think those 1 losses were ? What other team in the SEC besides Bama can match that win/loss record for the last decade? What other SEC team besides Bama has won the national championship in the last decade ?
LSU and Auburn (just outside the decade in 2010

That's a logical flaw; you aren't seeing the mountain for the molehill. No one's satisfied with that loss - or even the GA loss - but damn, you don't get to ignore there's nine wins on the board, and several of them much better than SC.

Should Heupel be the 11th-rank salaried coach in the SEC?

11th probably not but top 5 no either at this point. One good season with a beyond embarrassing loss doesn't exactly instil confidence that success can be maintained. He should make more than Drink, Napier, maybe kiffin, lea and Cadillac at least right now.

Also I watched the UGA Kentucky game. It was clear they played vanilla to stay healthy and not risk injury. UGA was never in risk of losing that. It was also at Kroger field. We ran Kentucky out of Knoxville and made it flashy as a statement. Not the same.

What's the metric they're measured up to?

7-10 wins and a bowl game Kentucky? Sure give average mark stoops a raise

Tennessee should have SECCG and CFP ambitions. Crapping the bed against a gamecock team who had more Ints than TDs up until last night? Nah. The fact that Martinez will walk into his office tomorrow furthers the embarrassment.
Do you honestly think Martinez won't face the fire from Heupel? Do you think Heupel looked satisfied with our performance in the press conference after the game? Do you think there won't be changes after this season?

It's very late in the season to be turning over coaches. Firing Martinez from a team that's overall had very unexpected success (granted, mostly due to the offense) would be a purely emotional response. We've had a good year, not a great year..... certainly not where we thought we were going to be at the start of the year NOR at the beginning of last week.

Life, and certainly business, isn't one long string of success, more success, and even more success. Failure is part of it. It's unpleasant. It calls for changes. Failure doesn't mean you don't reward the successes you've had previously.

Reactions: grandjason
Do you honestly think Martinez won't face the fire from Heupel? Do you think Heupel looked satisfied with our performance in the press conference after the game? Do you think there won't be changes after this season?

It's very late in the season to be turning over coaches. Firing Martinez from a team that's overall had very unexpected success (granted, mostly due to the offense) would be a purely emotional response. We've had a good year, not a great year..... certainly not where we thought we were going to be at the start of the year NOR at the beginning of last week.

Life, and certainly business, isn't one long string of success, more success, and even more success. Failure is part of it. It's unpleasant. It calls for changes. Failure doesn't mean you don't reward the successes you've had previously.

Turning over offensive staff would be dumb. Turning over defensive staff not named Rodney Garner could be good turnover.

Life is a lot of failure. You come out and fix that failure.

11th probably not but top 5 no either at this point. One good season with a beyond embarrassing loss doesn't exactly instil confidence that success can be maintained. He should make more than Drink, Napier, maybe kiffin, lea and Cadillac at least right now.

That's all I'm arguing. We don't have to go Jimbo to bump the guy, though UK's pay hike to Stoop's does put upward pressure on the conference. I'm thinking Danny White's relationship with JH can work out something to keep him happy, create expectations on the defensive side and with division and post-season incentives.

VN Store

Back