Something is amiss.

Its very odd. I expected to turn a corner tonight maybe take a lead back. But the defense looked lost. The loss of Jeremy Banks was huge. Kind of wondering the impact of that and the players that look to him as a leader..
I can see how Banks being out might affect the front 7. Banks doesn’t play in the secondary, and that is where we have been exposed ALL DANG SEASON. There is a reason Martinez has been let go at so many programs. He needs to be fired tonight, and send coach Banks with him to help with his bags.

3 TD faves and to lose by more than we were favored. In such a fashion. Being all but in the playoff. Granted, I always figured we would get screwed and a team with a resume reading conference champions would be placed above UT. I could live with that.

What I just witnessed on the other hand, is anything but a "the SEC is tough" shoulder shrug situation. "What the actual mother duck even for Tennesee" level is where this debacle firmly sits. It will stay right where it's at long after the emotion has calmed.

So you called it in the pre-season we were going to the championship 4 this year right? Of course, everyone knew that. We'll be ok if Heupel can recruit. We exceeded expectations this year. There's no need to fire anyone. Let's see what happens against Vandy and our bowl game then take next year one game at a time. We're losing some seniors so there might be a drop off. Maybe not but who knows.

Reactions: volfeeva
When? After the first drive and before Milton came in? Didn’t seem like it.
I mean just look at the stats my guy. 152 yards on 5.4 yards per carry. The score dictated we throw the ball in theory. That put us in 3rd and long fairly consistently, which caused us to not convert a few times. We apparently needed to score every time we touched the ball tonight.

I mean just look at the stats my guy. 152 yards on 5.4 yards per carry. The score dictated we throw the ball in theory. That put us in 3rd and long fairly consistently, which caused us to not convert a few times. We apparently needed to score every time we touched the ball tonight.

We did not run for 152 yards after the first drive. Which is what I was talking about.

There were plenty of times where the score said we could run and when we did choose to run it was not very effective.

I can see how Banks being out might affect the front 7. Banks doesn’t play in the secondary, and that is where we have been exposed ALL DANG SEASON. There is a reason Martinez has been let go at so many programs. He needs to be fired tonight, and send coach Banks with him to help with his bags.
Something definitely needs done. You can't excuse this away. A message needs to be sent. You won't survive to many games with a defense like this.

We’re in the hunt for the playoffs and this is what we do. This loss is on everyone on the coaching staff and every player on the roster. The team seemed disinterested in playing a football game today and this baffles me. Do we have locker room issues or something? I just can’t wrap my mind around this performance against a mediocre South Carolina team with so much on the line.
I haven’t felt this dejected since the loss to LSU in the title game in 2001

Such a Tennessee thing to mail it in when the win is critical to bowl positioning, with a piss poor defense and an offense than cannot come from behind, Tennessee is not CFP material this season, Heupel and staff reminded us tonight of the American Athletic Conference skill sets they possess and how ill suited that preparation is for big ticket games on the road in the SEC, we think they can do better, but 10-2, 6-2 in the conference may be Heupel's ceiling, competitiveness in all games, in all phases of the game may be beyond his staff's capability

So you called it in the pre-season we were going to the championship 4 this year right? Of course, everyone knew that. We'll be ok if Heupel can recruit. We exceeded expectations this year. There's no need to fire anyone. Let's see what happens against Vandy and our bowl game then take next year one game at a time. We're losing some seniors so there might be a drop off. Maybe not but who knows.

Not exactly. I accurately predicted an even more outlandish outcome: they would be in the playoff with five top 25 wins only needing to beat two teams they would be Alabama-type spread favorites over. Only to take a magical season no one (but myself obviously) could ever envision and implode it in only the way Tennessee could.

If only all those posts didn't just vanish by black magic or something but I totally predicted all this. Even the last second FG win against Alabama creating the flood of orange burned into our brains forever. Only to revert back from such heights to typical Tennessee. Those posts would come in handy now but what can I do? You take my word for it don't you?

Everyone hits a trap game once in a while. That, in it'self, is not so bad. This was Beamer's super bowl. The trick is to lose early, and take care of the games you need to. You did neither this year. You failed at both of those. This board started bragging about they would whip the 278E9DC9-6D54-42FC-96D1-46E1A3C397A6.jpeg
as soon as the schedule was released last year. You took a dump in the first quarter. You never recovered.

Not exactly. I accurately predicted an even more outlandish outcome: they would be in the playoff with five top 25 wins only needing to beat two teams they would be Alabama-type spread favorites over. Only to take a magical season no one (but myself obviously) could ever envision and implode it in only the way Tennessee could.

If only all those posts didn't just vanish by black magic or something but I totally predicted all this. Even the last second FG win against Alabama creating the flood of orange burned into our brains forever. Only to revert back from such heights to typical Tennessee. Those posts would come in handy now but what can I do? You take my word for it don't you?

Ok then there's only one thing to do, turn in your Vol card.

Welcome to being a Tennessee fan. Same old crap every year. There is a reason all our rivals have SEC and National Titles this Century and we have diddly squat. We are not much of a better program now than Ole Miss.

Secondary is absolutely abysmal.
And Ole P*ss stole our baseball title

Such a Tennessee thing to mail it in when the win is critical to bowl positioning, with a piss poor defense and an offense than cannot come from behind, Tennessee is not CFP material this season, Heupel and staff reminded us tonight of the American Athletic Conference skill sets they possess and how ill suited that preparation is for big ticket games on the road in the SEC, we think they can do better, but 10-2, 6-2 in the conference may be Heupel's ceiling, competitiveness in all games, in all phases of the game may be beyond his staff's capability
If they do 10-2 going to be hard to top that next year. The defense is just god awful. They need to hit the portal hard. They've been good against the run and i'd lean toward Rodney garner being the reason why for the most part. Nothing else about this defense has improved from last year in fact they're worse.

Heupel is a great offensive coach. Not good, great. But he has ignored the issues on offense all year. Look at his biggest critics at UCF. It was all a hit his disconnection from the problems on defense. Remember, each year their record got worse. In his 3rd and last year, they were ranked 2nd in the nation in offense, exactly where we were entering this game.
DEFENSE wins championships. Period, end of fuggin story.
I don’t think he is ignoring defense we just ran out of gas and their quarterback had a big night. We have battled on D and made the most out of what we had. Without Banks tonight we just seemed a step behind. We are going to be better on D in the future. This year was a big step, we aren’t going to fade to the back of the pack. We will respond I got faith in this staff.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
South Carolina was the better team on this night. Simple as that. They out coached us and flat out out played us on both lines of scrimmage. We got embarrassed by a garbage football program in a season where we had a real shot to make some serious waves. Now we are back to being laughingstocks again. Pathetic.

The wheels came off our program tonight. Beating Vandy next week is NOT a certainty now.

Reactions: BJSforVols
I hate late games on the road.
Seems like it's always a disaster waiting to happen.
Give me Noon games all day over this.

VN Store

Back