Week 2 CFP - Vols ranked 5th

I don’t want to see you lose. You obviously didn’t really pay attention to what they said. The UGA loss isn’t going to matter if Oregon wins out. I think we will blow out our final 3 opponents and still not get in.

If TCU loses, who gets in?

Reactions: Behr
TCU has to lose going into their champ game for us to have the 4 spot. If that doesn’t happen then the committee has to pick between us and the winner of PAC12 champ. Been saying this for awhile.

Reactions: FBtime
No way they loser of OSU/Michigan stays in the top 4. Even if it’s a 1 point game. Neither of them have the strength of schedule to justify a top 4 ranking with a loss. The loser of that will drop out of the top 4.

Also Clemson is out, even if they win out and win the ACC.

TCU will have a loss and be out. They could surprise me here, but I’m 99% sure they will not go 13-0.

Oregon is the only one who might jump over us if they win out and win the Pac12. Their loss to UGA was much worse than ours, but it was in Week 1. Ours was more recent.

EVEN IF Oregon finishes 12-1 and jumps over us, that would put them at 3 and us at 4.

*This is all assuming Georgia beats LSU in Atlanta. If they don’t…we’re out. They’ll put LSU over us if they win the SEC, and Georgia will still be in. Who knows who the 4th team might be, but they won’t put 3 SEC teams in.

TCU has to lose going into their champ game for us to have the 4 spot. If that doesn’t happen then the committee has to pick between us and the winner of PAC12 champ. Been saying this for awhile.

TCU needs 1 L and they are behind us as long as we go 11-1...

We need to be throwing bombs for 60 minutes. It matters, just look at Oregon blowing out mediocre teams and being touted as a juggernaut.
Exactly. No field goals, no punts. All touchdowns I’m talking sweet looking touchdowns. Leave no room for doubt

Great news! This sets up perfect for us.

When the Ohio v Michigan loser drops they’ll be below us. Our wins are substantially better than either of them.

And a good chance TCU drops a game too. That sets us up for a playoff birth assuming we don’t just get hosed.

All we need to do is blast the bottom feeders and we’re in. This year has been awesome.

I've been trying and trying to say on here that we need a LOT of help. And I said that they'd be pushing the new and improved Oregon, which they are. And if UNC or Clemson win the ACC with only one loss the talking point then will be, "well the committee has to consider winning a conference championship and taking that into play." I said that LSU would leapfrog us if they run the table and beat UGA and they are pushing that also. Oh, the LSU loss to Tennessee can't hold that much weight if they run the table and beat Georgia.

Like it or not, we put ourselves in the situation to not control our own destiny. If they get left out as a 1 loss team then it's still a hell of a year and it just would be bad luck for there to be 2 or 3 unbeatens and possibly up to 3 other conference champs with only one loss. That's just the breaks.

TCU losing is paramount. OSU/Michigan game being a blowout is needed just in case they push the 2 teams from another conference that's not the SEC agenda. The Pac 12 winner having 2 losses is very important also. Oregon/USC/UCLA - any of them would pass UT if they win the conference and finish with only one loss.

Tennessee doesn't have any big games left. They've already shot that rope. Now all they can do is demolish Misery, USCjr, and Candy. And pray for some things to shake out to help them out otherwise. I had a feeling this would be coming and tonight's rankings basically confirmed what I thought would happen. We are no longer the belle of the ball. They have to look for a new shiny toy to talk about. It's not over though still a lot of football to be played.

Reactions: SockeyeVol
If OSU loses to Michigan, that would be a HOME loss and should drop them behind us...

If Michigan barely loses, their SOS will keep them behind us...

The only way we get in is if Oregon or TCU lose their conference Championships. They will take a 1 loss conference champ over a 1 loss non conference champ. We are in prime place though if that scenario happens. I'm afraid this year we will have all four teams in the playoffs as conference champions.

It's not that we lost to UGA, but how we lost. Be that as it may, our competition collectively has a tough row to hoe.

So last week TCU wasn't better than 1 loss Alabama but this week they're better than 1 loss Tennessee who was at the time Bama's 1 loss. Makes sense.
That is why in the Bama vs LSU thread, who would you want to win. I put Bama. If Bama had won, they stay above TCU and then UT stays above Bama I believe. But at least Bama is eliminated now.

Don’t think so. You are sleeping on Oregon. If they win out they are in. We are likely screwed.
I hope somebody has enough sense to know that a 14 point loss at UGA is much better than a 46 point loss on a neutral field.
Plus 2 wins over Top 10 teams for UT.
Only way I see Oregon jumping Tennessee if both win out is because of some shenanigans geared towards getting a PAC 12 team in

The only way we get in is if Oregon or TCU lose their conference Championships. They will take a 1 loss conference champ over a 1 loss non conference champ. We are in prime place though if that scenario happens. I'm afraid this year we will have all four teams in the playoffs as conference champions.

Both have to first make it to their conference championship games. Both of those conferences have games over the next 3 weeks that will decide who makes it. Oregon has to win out or they may not make as there are three other teams with 1 loss. TCU is 2 ahead but play the two teams tied for 2nd on the road in the next 2 weeks.

Oregon still has two tough games and then a championship game. They won’t win em all. I’m more worried about tcu winning out and the loser of osu/Michigan not falling out of the top 4.

Oregon still has two tough games and then a championship game. They won’t win em all. I’m more worried about tcu winning out and the loser of osu/Michigan not falling out of the top 4.
It’s not just Oregon out of the Pac. Any one loss pac winner (Usc, ucla, or Oregon) will be in.

VN Store

Back