‘23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Colorado Commit)

Do we know that? When have we seen Smart coach without a talent advantage? Hell, he inherited a loaded roster his first year and went 8-5 losing to Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech. So we’ve seen him lose games he should win…but when has he won a game he shouldn’t have?

Ok so what’s your criteria for a good coach? Yes Smart inherited a good roster. What did he do with it? Did he waste it? Or did he elevate it to its highest point in the schools history? I don’t know when he has won a game he shouldn’t have. But is that the criteria for a good head coach? If that’s the case then Saban isn’t a good coach. He has had the talent advantage over every team he has played in the last 10 years or so. So when did he win a game he shouldn’t have?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Ok so what’s your criteria for a good coach? Yes Smart inherited a good roster. What did he do with it? Did he waste it? Or did he elevate it to its highest point in the schools history? I don’t know when he has won a game he shouldn’t have. But is that the criteria for a good head coach? If that’s the case then Saban isn’t a good coach. He has had the talent advantage over every team he has played in the last 10 years or so. So when did he win a game he shouldn’t have?

You’re moving the target. Recruiting talent is absolutely a huge part of being a great coach. Maybe the biggest. But I was replying to a post implying that Cristobol isn’t “the coach” that Smart is, even if he recruits top talent. In other words, you’re saying that Cristobol isn’t as good as Kirby in the part of coaching that doesn’t include how talented your materiel is. I’m saying there’s no proof of that because we haven’t seen Kirby win when he hasn’t out-talented people.

Kirby wins by accruing superior talent, not by out-scheming or by getting that talent to play over its head. And that’s fine. Winning is winning. But if Cristobol also acquires top talent and simply wins that way, then he’s matched Kirby’s strength and is every bit the coach Kirby is. We’ll see if he does it.

Last edited:
Back to the original post, went to Florida message boards through 247 Sports. It's wonderful. There were 10 pages of posts where they argue about how he should be played and who else might be paired with him as shut-down corners as they wait for the announcement, which was delayed. One poster was trying to decide if he should go ahead and leave for dinner since it was running late.

And then one guy posts a simple message with no punctuation that he had committed to Miami. It took another page for the group to believe he wasn't pranking them. Then, MELTDOWN!!! You have to read it, 32 more pages. By the end they are claiming that Diaz is a Cuban agent and it's Russian money behind this.

It's so bad that someone started a new subject titled "It's One Player, My God!"

Jordan Matthews is the 151st rated player in the entire country. Sly Smith is 221st. Those are very highly rated guys.

In ‘24, we already have the 170th ranked player committed that is a CB.

All are top 20 at their positions in the entire country.

Look, I love our guys too. I’m simply talking about a specific criteria. HIGH 4 star or above (top 100). And Sly is not a CB

Who said that? This question has nothing to do with being good, just a simple rhetorical question. I’m not pessimistic at all, just haven’t seen a top CB commitment in many many years. Don’t be so defensive

We have Jordan Matthews who is a high 4 star although not a consensus top 100. For all we know he could end up being the best cornerback in his class. Why worry about him not technically being in the consensus top 100?

We have Jordan Matthews who is a high 4 star although not a consensus top 100. For all we know he could end up being the best cornerback in his class. Why worry about him not technically being in the consensus top 100?
I’m not worried, geez you guys are so defensive. Just a simple question/statement. It’s called fun

And that’s the closest Miami will get to a national championship
If MC can consistently recruit in the top ten, then the canes will contend for the ACC sooner rather than later. Dabo won't be the king of that conference for long if Miami can get players again.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
You're definitely the pot calling the kettle black on that one. I'm just wondering why you're so fixated on this top 100 thing as if it's an end all/be all.
I’m not fixated on it, don’t stress over my feelings. I just think it would be exciting, like a 5 star usually is. Also, there’s no denying that those level corners usually are elite

VN Store

Back