‘23 KY CB Cristian Conyer (Tennessee commit)

Martinez was fired as DC at Georgia…. Fired at Oklahoma so Bob Stoops could hire his brother… left Tennessee when Shoop was hired…. Not sure of any other firings.

I was curious how we looked during Martinez time before when he was hired and I was shocked at what I found out. The two stats I thought were most important was comp% and ypa….. he immediately lowered both categories the year after he was hired..By year three his defense allowed only 50% passing at 6.7 ypa…. It was imo our best performance by our secondary during that time… one could argue that the 2008 defense with the three guys you mentioned was better at 56% passing and an absolutely amazing 5.7 ypa but I feel that when our offense was as poor as it was in 2008 that teams didn’t need to stress us with the passing game… either way the stats don’t back up peoples opinion that WM sucks. I believe that it is a talent/depth issue right now.

Year 3 he also had Derek Barnett wrecking havoc in the backfield and a solid Corey Vereen.

Martinez was fired as DC at Georgia…. Fired at Oklahoma so Bob Stoops could hire his brother… left Tennessee when Shoop was hired…. Not sure of any other firings.

I was curious how we looked during Martinez time before when he was hired and I was shocked at what I found out. The two stats I thought were most important was comp% and ypa….. he immediately lowered both categories the year after he was hired..By year three his defense allowed only 50% passing at 6.7 ypa…. It was imo our best performance by our secondary during that time… one could argue that the 2008 defense with the three guys you mentioned was better at 56% passing and an absolutely amazing 5.7 ypa but I feel that when our offense was as poor as it was in 2008 that teams didn’t need to stress us with the passing game… either way the stats don’t back up peoples opinion that WM sucks. I believe that it is a talent/depth issue right now.

Under what circumstances do you think his first employment at Tennessee ended??

Not sure what circumstances his employment at Tennessee ended. Whether he was actually fired or contract just ended. Did notice that his defenses at UCF improved statistically against the pass significantly. Still don’t think he’s close to being our best secondary coach in the last 20. But definitely agree he doesn’t have much ingredients to cook with right now.

Reactions: SoilVol
Under what circumstances do you think his first employment at Tennessee ended??
Butch was under pressure to replace "his guys" with name hires. That begat Jancek, Lawson and Martinez being replaced with Shoop, Szerszen and Warren. Three winners.

Butch was under pressure to replace "his guys" with name hires. That begat Jancek, Lawson and Martinez being replaced with Shoop, Szerszen and Warren. Three winners.

Jancek sealed his fate with the poon chasing and the Florida 4th down. I have no idea Szerszen is/was.

Jancek sealed his fate with the poon chasing and the Florida 4th down. I have no idea Szerszen is/was.
Have my doubts about that story now. Bought it fully at the time. Are you saying you don't remember Szerszen? If so, you're way behind on details.

Reactions: SugarCC
Have my doubts about that story now. Bought it fully at the time. Are you saying you don't remember Szerszen? If so, you're way behind on details.
I have been told that Jancek and Butch could no longer see eye to eye on coaching philosophy. Jancek was vocal about it and it did not sit well with CBJ.
Rumors surfaced about Jancek. I doubt the rumors.
To Butch’s credit, I think the relationship has been mended and Jancek’s son serves on his staff.

No I didn’t recollect an associate SC coach who had already been on staff for nearly 3 years during the large staff turnover of 2016-2017. That’s why I have to rely on the experts like yourself.

I have been told that Jancek and Butch could no longer see eye to eye on coaching philosophy. Jancek was vocal about it and it did not sit well with CBJ.
Rumors surfaced about Jancek. I doubt the rumors.
To Butch’s credit, I think the relationship has been mended and Jancek’s son serves on his staff.
Sorry, Lyle has a terrible credit score based on taking lots of $ from Tennessee and not delivering the promised product. Therefore, he no longer can obtain any credit.

Reactions: SoilVol
No I didn’t recollect an associate SC coach who had already been on staff for nearly 3 years during the large staff turnover of 2016-2017. That’s why I have to rely on the experts like yourself.
Let’s be smarmy. He replaced Lawson and it was a significant hiring event for Butch’s tenure. You’re not interested in a real conversation, so I’ll bow out of this one.

50% pass completion with our current defensive backs would surely be an upgrade.
Think most teams pass a lot against us because we shut the run game down and we dictate the flow of the game. Heupel believes we can outscore anyone just wants a few stops and/or turnovers a game. According to him, our offense starts with the run too, which has also been pretty darn good.

But yeah most teams are throwing the ball against us 40-50 times per game since we score so much.

Reactions: hooter vol
It still baffles me that people are still defending Martinez. What’s even more baffling is the talent excuse. Vol fans will say well we just don’t have the talent. We are currently ranked 129th in passing defense. So I guess teams like North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV somehow have recruited better DBs than us? I call pure BS.

Our OL, TEs, WRs, RBs, DL and even LBs have all improved from last year. The only group that hasn’t are the DBs. That’s coaching.

Didn't know dbs from n.texas,akron,uconn,bowling green,central mich or MTSU had faced a heisman trophy winner or qbs from FL or LSU. When they do see where they rank.

He's got range and football speed like Deon Grant, but smaller and thinner.

I think this dude can help us.

VN Store

Back