‘23 KY CB Cristian Conyer (Tennessee commit)

It still baffles me that people are still defending Martinez. What’s even more baffling is the talent excuse. Vol fans will say well we just don’t have the talent. We are currently ranked 129th in passing defense. So I guess teams like North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV somehow have recruited better DBs than us? I call pure BS.

Our OL, TEs, WRs, RBs, DL and even LBs have all improved from last year. The only group that hasn’t are the DBs. That’s coaching.
Being ranked 128 has a lot to do with teams having the ball so much and having to throw so much to keep up…. The lowest amount of attempts against us was Ball State at 43. We are starting two guys….Kamal Hadden didn’t win a startInt job at Auburn… Christian Charles started at safety bc that is where the staff feels he is better auited to play. We ended the game last Saturday playing walk ons.in the secondary…. Our best years in the secondary in over 20 years was when WM was here before.

So is our DL comprised of guys that Garner chose? How about the OL? How many of those are Elarbees guys? Is Hooker one of Heupels guys? Just stop with the excuses. Our secondary is by FAR the worst position group on either side of the ball. It was bad last year but somehow it’s gotten worse.

So what’s the excuse for that? Get out of here if you say talent. Because I have listed teams that don’t even recruit in the top 75 that have better secondaries than we do. How is it that we have seen development at every position EXCEPT DBs?
For that to be remotely accurate they would need to play against similar competition…they don’t.

It still baffles me that people are still defending Martinez. What’s even more baffling is the talent excuse. Vol fans will say well we just don’t have the talent. We are currently ranked 129th in passing defense. So I guess teams like North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV somehow have recruited better DBs than us? I call pure BS.

Our OL, TEs, WRs, RBs, DL and even LBs have all improved from last year. The only group that hasn’t are the DBs. That’s coaching.

Yeah bc we all remember watching North Texas, Central Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Akron, Bowling Green, UCONN and UNLV play vs Pitt, FL, LSU, and Bama and their dbs being good vs those rosters…………………….

Playing DB is the hardest position on Defense so much to learn as you have so many coverages. Playing Man few DB can excel at this so you hope to get good play in Man Coverage. Look at the NFL very few Corners that excel. It is a tough position to play. We will see in future what play we get out of Conyer. In CHRIST Alone

Being ranked 128 has a lot to do with teams having the ball so much and having to throw so much to keep up…. The lowest amount of attempts against us was Ball State at 43. We are starting two guys….Kamal Hadden didn’t win a startInt job at Auburn… Christian Charles started at safety bc that is where the staff feels he is better auited to play. We ended the game last Saturday playing walk ons.in the secondary…. Our best years in the secondary in over 20 years was when WM was here before.

This…common sense.

Both have had misses too.

But that wasn't your justification. Your justification was the current secondary which is composed almost exclusively of guys that these coaches didn't choose.

You do this a lot. You push opinions as if you know more than you do. You don't even know which players have interest in UT. The less the staff chases kids that have no interest... the better.
Tyler Scott was literally CBd to Tennessee mere minutes after the Bama game. He’s definitely interested

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Tyler Scott was literally CBd to Tennessee mere minutes after the Bama game. He’s definitely interested
And you STILL don't know why the staff chose one over the other or which is the better prospect. Want to state an opinion or raise a question? OK. I'm not one who thinks coaches are above question. They aren't. But you are making declarations as if you are the arbiter or truth regarding these prospects.

If the staff isn't pursuing Scott (which may or may not be true) then they likely have reasons that they probably won't tell you, me, or anyone else.

So is our DL comprised of guys that Garner chose? How about the OL?
No. My point was about a particular habit of the person who posted.

To your point, I would say that some of what was left was better than other parts. That said, I'm still not buying Banks. I think UT has more talent on D than Mizzou, USCe, MSU, and many other teams whose secondaries aren't being abused by average passers.

Our secondary is by FAR the worst position group on either side of the ball. It was bad last year but somehow it’s gotten worse.
So the question is did the talent get worse, did the development go backwards, or are there issues with scheme/playcalling? I don't think the players are ideal. But LOTS of DC's deal with much worse and perform better.

So what’s the excuse for that? Get out of here if you say talent. Because I have listed teams that don’t even recruit in the top 75 that have better secondaries than we do. How is it that we have seen development at every position EXCEPT DBs?
I'm not sure how you twisted my comment out of context so badly. I actually agree with you on this. I don't blame Martinez. He's proven himself and has coached some very good players.

My concern is that guys appear to be where they're supposed to be... and there are still wide open receivers across the field.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
PS- The secondary isn't the worst in the SEC. They're lower 3rd in pass D but not in yds/att, opponent QBR, opponent completion %, or TD's allowed. They're near the top in TD passes allowed per attempt. Where they do lead the SEC is number of opponent attempts... by a lot. Opponents have attempted 322 passes in 7 games. Vandy is next with 283 attempts in 8 games. One of the things that happens when UT starts lighting up the scoreboard... is the opponents abandon their game plan and start passing more. That's predictable. And though we would love to see the D defense the pass better... it is actually a very good sign when UT can dictate the opponent's game plan.

PS- The secondary isn't the worst in the SEC. They're lower 3rd in pass D but not in yds/att, opponent QBR, opponent completion %, or TD's allowed. They're near the top in TD passes allowed per attempt. Where they do lead the SEC is number of opponent attempts... by a lot. Opponents have attempted 322 passes in 7 games. Vandy is next with 283 attempts in 8 games. One of the things that happens when UT starts lighting up the scoreboard... is the opponents abandon their game plan and start passing more. That's predictable. And though we would love to see the D defense the pass better... it is actually a very good sign when UT can dictate the opponent's game plan.
1000% you can’t measure success in pass D by number of yards given up… it’s not a good metric to measure the success of this defense on.

This is absolutely laughable. Martinez wasn’t the secondary coach when Chavis took two freshman corners and shut down a high powered offense in Athens when we were 18 point underdogs. Martinez wasn’t the secondary coach when we had Berry/Morley and Rogan. Hell the secondary was better under Dooley/ Wilcox with Joseph as the DB coach. There’s a reason that Martinez has been canned 4 times in the last twelve years, including by his best friend Richt. He’s the best that Heupel could do at the time.

This is absolutely laughable. Martinez wasn’t the secondary coach when Chavis took two freshman corners and shut down a high powered offense in Athens when we were 18 point underdogs. Martinez wasn’t the secondary coach when we had Berry/Morley and Rogan. Hell the secondary was better under Dooley/ Wilcox with Joseph as the DB coach. There’s a reason that Martinez has been canned 4 times in the last twelve years, including by his best friend Richt. He’s the best that Heupel could do at the time.
I like to think his recruiting ability had a lot to do with it. Maybe he felt RG wasn’t enough and needed more firepower. Is it worth having a below average position coach for a good recruiter? I dont know.

Richt didn’t fire him for his DB work. He fired him as a DC.

I like to think his recruiting ability had a lot to do with it. Maybe he felt RG wasn’t enough and needed more firepower. Is it worth having a below average position coach for a good recruiter? I dont know.

It a crap shoot. Napier thought he was hiring a DB coach who was a top 5 coach and recruiter and it hasn’t worked out that way. I don’t really care if Martinez stays or goes. I don’t think he’s a good coach but there’s absolutely zero talent in the back end. I could be wrong but I think our only interception since the Pitt game was by a walk on yesterday. Rucker and Slaughter seem to be regressing. Ruckers Eric Berry impersonation yesterday notwithstanding.

It a crap shoot. Napier thought he was hiring a DB coach who was a top 5 coach and recruiter and it hasn’t worked out that way. I don’t really care if Martinez stays or goes. I don’t think he’s a good coach but there’s absolutely zero talent in the back end. I could be wrong but I think our only interception since the Pitt game was by a walk on yesterday.
Napier? 🤨

We obviously had better DB’s when Fulmer was coach, but Dooley had no defense. Martinez may not be the best, but he has contributed to Sutton, Coleman, Moseley, Taylor, and Jackson playing in the league. He also had 3 drafted at UCF. Right now, personnel is part of the problem.

Martinez was fired as DC at Georgia…. Fired at Oklahoma so Bob Stoops could hire his brother… left Tennessee when Shoop was hired…. Not sure of any other firings.

I was curious how we looked during Martinez time before when he was hired and I was shocked at what I found out. The two stats I thought were most important was comp% and ypa….. he immediately lowered both categories the year after he was hired..By year three his defense allowed only 50% passing at 6.7 ypa…. It was imo our best performance by our secondary during that time… one could argue that the 2008 defense with the three guys you mentioned was better at 56% passing and an absolutely amazing 5.7 ypa but I feel that when our offense was as poor as it was in 2008 that teams didn’t need to stress us with the passing game… either way the stats don’t back up peoples opinion that WM sucks. I believe that it is a talent/depth issue right now.

VN Store

Back