Tillman recovering from "tightrope" ankle surgery

Yeah the difference is the fine line of coach and athlete want to play. On the flip side the coach has to not risk the athletes future for sake of increasing odds of winning games along the way. Coaches and Universities are under more scrutiny than ever for putting damaged goods players in harms way earlier than they should.

For sure. All of this stuff we have learned about brain injuries long term have have put the spotlight on how coaches manage player injuries. I think it’s a good thing, but was a time when it was totally normal to put guys with concussions back in.

Not just limited to football either. Remember Kerri Strug in the 1996 Olympics? One of the bravest performances I can remember. Also one that probably should not have happened and likely wouldn’t fly today.

People close to the program say it’s a 2-4 week recovery. Tua came back in 3. If everything goes bad it’s 6. Don’t know where you got 8 from. What website?
Tua came back in 3 weeks because Saban required it.

Both ailments are on the upswing though. Easy to treat with antibiotics for now but iirc there are antibiotic resistant strains that can be treated with increasingly fewer meds effectively. Also syphilis symptoms can disappear and go latent. Late stage is really nasty. So if you notice something funny down under, probably should get it looked at. I dunno why but I felt the need to chime in with that 2 AM PSA.
Clap clap clap

For sure. All of this stuff we have learned about brain injuries long term have have put the spotlight on how coaches manage player injuries. I think it’s a good thing, but was a time when it was totally normal to put guys with concussions back in.

Not just limited to football either. Remember Kerri Strug in the 1996 Olympics? One of the bravest performances I can remember. Also one that probably should not have happened and likely wouldn’t fly today.
Yes that iconic one foot stick of landing was incredible. Amateurs have to be saved from themselves sometimes. They may want to play but coach and hopefully players parents suggest holding their kid out until healthy that no more harm can be done. When it's a pro then hey its on them and depending on the moment. That World Series Curt Schilling pitched with that bloody sock from those sutures in his ankle I'll never forget. Thats a different conversation if worth the risk when your fortune is set in stone and have the opportunity to win a championship.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
There is a difference in the to player's position. Tua was/is a QB, not required to do much flat out running, cutting, etc. Till on the other hand is required to run (most times flat out) cut on nearly ever play, jump on many plays, dive on many play and on and on. I expect Til will be out most of the year. Surely not back for Bama. (no need to rush him, wait til we need him for an expected tough win) Let's hope he can get another year if he doesn't get back.
The problem is it’s not rushing back. The estimate time for the surgery recovery is 4-6 weeks. The bama game would be the 5 week mark. I’m not saying he would be 100% but he would definitely be able to play. Tillman would get a extra 2 weeks to recover than tua. Saying he’s going to be out for most of the year has no evidence and is just BVS flaring up for some vol fans. And if he doesn’t play for bama he’s back for Kentucky. That would be seven weeks after the surgery meaning he would be done with recovery. Not to mention he’s a world class athlete which means that can heal faster than most
Edit: he’s also not coming back next year. He’s a projected top 4 round player and possibly two round if he comes back and plays well. Hence why he would come back and play and not sit the rest of the year

H*ll, I tore ligaments in my ankle once early in the rugby season and never missed a match. As a matter of fact, I didn't even leave the match in which it happened.

Rugby players are a different breed. Tough sonvaguns, real football without pads and helmets, and the pampering enjoyed by the other football players. Not to belittle our Vols players or football in general, but the fact is, rugby players are the real thing. So were old time footballers who played without a lot of rules we have today, played in downpours, on pig sty field. And sometimes played both offense and defense. Just the same, rugby players are a different breed.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
We’ve known this for a couple days. Probably out lsu but hopefully back for bama
I'm not so sure. People are comparing this to Tua's (hope he is ok) procedure, but it was his hip and not his ankle which is more load bearing I think? I'm no doctor, but would you say there is validity to this?

I'm not so sure. People are comparing this to Tua's (hope he is ok) procedure, but it was his hip and not his ankle which is more load bearing I think? I'm no doctor, but would you say there is validity to this?
Tua had surgery on his ankle before the lsu game. The hip happened two weeks after in a completely desperate incident. (May have misunderstood your question) if I did can you elaborate on it

For all of you yo be clear what he had done

Thank you for that video. Also the same guy talks more here:

He says 3-4 weeks is what he tells patients. He says in practice he will have them walking day 4-5, running day 8-9, and cutting as soon as they can after that. He has played them with sutures still in.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Tua had surgery on his ankle before the lsu game. The hip happened two weeks after in a completely desperate incident. (May have misunderstood your question) if I did can you elaborate on it
ahh I hear people comparing Tua's procedure and I thought that procedure was on his hip not his ankle.

Yeah the difference is the fine line of coach and athlete want to play. On the flip side the coach has to not risk the athletes future for sake of increasing odds of winning games along the way. Coaches and Universities are under more scrutiny than ever for putting damaged goods players in harms way earlier than they should.

I agree with that totally. It was my call not to come out of the match. I also knew I didn't potentially have a multi-million dollar future at stake.

Tua wasnt running routes every play, I dont think he will be back either but good news is we are loaded at receiver and him at 75% is probably no better than what we have already at 100%.
Terrell Owen's played in the superbowl for the eagles with a high ankle sprain.

Terrell Owen's played in the superbowl for the eagles with a high ankle sprain.
He may play but I doubt he is 100 percent, I mean I hope he is but realistically he just had a surgery for a injury, but we are deep at receiver so I honestly dont think him not playing is that big of a loss, we torched Florida without him.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Playing after an injury and showing no ill effects would only help his draft stock. This is the whole reason he came back.
I also doubt we see him back but hope I’m wrong. He did enough last year and this year to cement his draft status. It would be unwise for him to play any more this year if he was not 100% healthy.

The problem is it’s not rushing back. The estimate time for the surgery recovery is 4-6 weeks. The bama game would be the 5 week mark. I’m not saying he would be 100% but he would definitely be able to play. Tillman would get a extra 2 weeks to recover than tua. Saying he’s going to be out for most of the year has no evidence and is just BVS flaring up for some vol fans. And if he doesn’t play for bama he’s back for Kentucky. That would be seven weeks after the surgery meaning he would be done with recovery. Not to mention he’s a world class athlete which means that can heal faster than most
Edit: he’s also not coming back next year. He’s a projected top 4 round player and possibly two round if he comes back and plays well. Hence why he would come back and play and not sit the rest of the year
I think he will see the field against Alabama. He may be decoy and he may be ready to play.

I'll say it but there is nothing good to come from Tillman rushing back to play in the LSU game. If he is truly ready and back to close 90-100%, sure get him some reps. But there is no shot we should play him leading up to Bama game unless he's near 100% as he can be.

VN Store

Back