Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright recruiting forum. When we talk about our defensive backfield shortcomings, I see a lot of back and forth between coaching vs talent. Maybe it's both, but let's look at the numbers.

Our defensive backfield recruiting has been notably poor. Since 2018, outside of Alontae Taylor and Bryce Thompson who went to the NFL, we've had 2 (TWO, DOS) four-star players in the backfield. Key Lawrence transferred. The other? Jaylen McCollough (0.93 4* 2019). No 5*.

Taking a look at our current roster, Jaylen McCollough is the ONLY defensive back that was rated higher than 3* when he came here (I'm using transfer ranking rather than original high school ranking for guys like Turnage).

Of the 14 guys I count that are still on the roster since the 2018 class, 13/14 are 3* recruits. Two of them (T. McDonald and C. Charles) did not come here as defensive backs but OLB and ATH, respectively. The average rating is 0.869 (hehe 69).

Our three lowest rated players are Brandon Turnage (0.83 as a transfer), Christian Harrison (0.85), and Trevon Flowers (0.85).

No, recruiting ranks don't mean everything and they aren't a forecast for performance... but they also aren't useless. In some respects you can look at it as how much time or training will be needed to get the athlete into SEC level.

So, I am leaning more towards this being a talent issue. Our defensive line and linebacker corps have higher ratings and more >3* players. The defensive line has more than the linebackers and linebackers more than defensive backs. What a coincidence... that generally follows the trend of performance.

So how do you fix this ~potential~ talent/performance gap? Coaching and recruiting. Yes, maybe the coaching isn't where it needs to be. I can't say for sure from the outside looking in.

What are we doing on the recruiting front?

As of today - with months to go before this is finalized and no way to predict the transfer portal (for or against) - we have 6 defensive backs committed to the 2023 class. 3 (THREE, TRES) 4* defensive backs (Matthews, Smith, Gibson). Average rating of the class is 0.896. That's a significant influx of talent next year... and there's no way they're done.

Not only that, our lowest rated defensive back (Jack Luttrell S 0.87 3*) has a higher or equal rating than 10/14 of our current defensive backs.

So the talent and potential is on the way. And these guys are coming to play for Banks and Martinez. We have to be patient. This program is "ahead of schedule" in every category. If I were to give exceptions to position groups, I'd say the linebackers and defensive backs are at least "on schedule" and we need to be patient. LB is probably a year ahead of the DBs. Lots of young talent coming but still missing the obvious future director of the defense in the middle unless Herring or Perry shows out.

Good post. Losing Mohan hurts our LB depth next year but with us typically only having 2 LBs on the field at a time, his loss is somewhat mitigated. I think Elijah Herring will step into to a starting role alongside Beasley and be very good. Reports on him have been very positive and he has flashed when on the field. Good size, good speed and very good instincts. He is much further along as a true freshman than Beasley was until this year and Banks was until last year. Not sure Perry is ever more than a body.

I think Smith can come in and immediately be our 3rd LB next year....I don't care about his rating, he is one of the best LB recruits in the country and already has the size to play. Telander has the instincts to learn quickly and be in the two deep by his sophomore year. I think we need at least one SEC level guy from the portal or grad transfer and I also think we land another high 3 or 4 star level LB recruit. That would theoretically give us a solid 2 deep and some good potential to build with. We will be in a bad spot if Beasley makes a bad decision and declares for the draft but I doubt that happens.

We are going to be nasty on the edge and at DB in a couple of years with the talent we are bringing in.

And Stoops is also a 7-time loser to Tennessee.
The following excerpt from the Kentucky message board is why I hope they get crushed on Saturday.

“We have a super great shot at being ranked number two or number three or number four when we play Georgia.
We even have a great shot at losing to GA and still making the playoff assuming Georgia screws up somehow.

But the rebels and volunteers are standing in Kentucky's way. And Kentucky has a better roster than both of those teams top to bottom. Fact.
More five stars more four stars. More winning streaks. More winning players, more winning plays. Over last 4 years.

Kentucky is a four-time defending bowl champion. Tennessee and Ole Miss are not.”

WAIT............... No F' way KY has a better roster top to bottom than us...... NO WAY

I
You nailed it! I have always preferred Scotch to bourbon. Oddly enough, I can even handle a drambuie on occasion but I just can't get myself to like bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey. I like Irish Whiskey too.

I'm a big black coffee drinker too so there might be something to that with the flavor profiles.
Ive always preferred Scotch over bourbon, as well...not even close, imo; although, there are some boubons out there i do enjoy. Same as you, especially something like Jack Daniels...waaaaay too sweet.

Straight black coffee here, too. Professor, seems Elvis is the only thing keeping you and me from being the same person. 😉🙂

Laugh if you want, but I'm going to go ahead and put this into the ether.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hooker - Burrow comparisons start popping up if Hooker keeps playing at this level. Lots of similarities: both transferred to new schools, both had good second to last years and then hit another stratosphere. I think there's parallels you can draw between the teams themselves too, though that LSU team was certainly much more talented.

Not speaking for SSVol, but this is the brand and specific product that I use: Magnesium, 500 mg, 100 capsules - Life Extension. As you can see, that is extremely affordable, with a 3-month supply costing only $6.75. Another formulation of theirs, which is much more expensive, is specifically advocated for cognitive function: Magnesium L-Threonate, Neuro-Mag, 90 capsules. This product, however, uses a much higher dosage and allegedly is absorbed more effectively by the brain. See Magnesium L-Threonate Regenerates Brain Structures - Life Extension. This search page provides links to a number of other articles that you may find useful to better understand magnesium's broad-spectrum importance to human health: How to Search - Life Extension.
Thanks man. My understanding is a lot of mineral supplements don’t absorb very well. Will check these out

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Choose your hypothetical:

1. Beat UGA but lose to Bama in the regular season and SEC championship game.
2. Beat Bama, lose to UGA and no SEC East title

Beat Bama and lose to UGA. We probably make the playoff as the 4 seed in that scenario and get another crack at UGA on a neutral field. SEC East championship means nothing and two losses to Bama means no shot at playoffs. This is all assuming we win out in all other games. Either of those scenarios is still a fantastic year and means we are even further ahead of schedule than we already know.

Not speaking for SSVol, but this is the brand and specific product that I use: Magnesium, 500 mg, 100 capsules - Life Extension. As you can see, that is extremely affordable, with a 3-month supply costing only $6.75. Another formulation of theirs, which is much more expensive, is specifically advocated for cognitive function: Magnesium L-Threonate, Neuro-Mag, 90 capsules. This product, however, uses a much higher dosage and allegedly is absorbed more effectively by the brain. See Magnesium L-Threonate Regenerates Brain Structures - Life Extension. This search page provides links to a number of other articles that you may find useful to better understand magnesium's broad-spectrum importance to human health: How to Search - Life Extension.

I have also taken L-Threonate. Due to brain benefit, it is the form the Dr. Bredesen ("End of Alzheimer's") likes best. It is definitely pricy though.

In addition to glycinate, I also take magnesium chloride, generally in magnesium oil form. It appears to have affinity to prostate and has had some pretty remarkable benefits for some with urine retention problems.

What's the latest on schools offering NIL deals to prospects? Everyone says that NIL should not be used as a recruiting bribe, but it's going on, is it not? Will conferences outlaw the practice--as of course they should--since the NCAA has been handcuffed by what I considered a stupid court ruling? I mean, it has to be stopped unless we want college recruiting to just become a completely corrupt and unregulated mess. Perhaps it's that way now....

well whatever team gets him especially first pick has doomed themselves with more first picks. This guy is not that good no matter these special know it alls say. In 4 weeks of college footbal i have seen many better. The only team that would up grade from picking him would be th Bears because Fields is awful.

Reactions: UTSuave’
Conyer and Luttrell. Sly Smith is playing QB, so he doesn't have a ton of defensive highlights. This kid looks versatile and could possibly play corner, safety, or star.
Great. We’re on the level of Ark St & GA ST. We’re going to scare Bama & GA with this. Perennial 7-5 with this recruiting. Heupel can’t recruit at a power 5 level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back