Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

Are you trying to say that Alex Golesh isn't really an offensive coordinator because he has /TE after the OC? Come on, that's just silly. Coordinators often also coach a position group.

As for Co-DC, that can mean many things. It can mean that he's really the main dude, and the other guy is an understudy. It can mean the opposite. Or it can mean anything in between.

I certainly don't know Penn State's situation from 2016 through 2020 well enough to explain how much in the lead role Tim Banks was. Can you? Do you have sources?
I think that was the source of the concern when he was hired - many questioned whether he was the mentor or the understudy, and BVS led many to believe we got the understudy.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
This is what I’ve noticed with Burrell having these huge cushions as well. He’s playing to not get beat every play. I think we know we can’t run with a lot of teams wrs. Burrell is a lot better when teams get in the red zone. Some will give him crap every play like the Pitt game but one of those tds he had great position on the wr. I think we’re just betting that eventually someone will fumble or have a pass sail. We’re still just not talented enough at CB and S for them to trust this defense.
I agree. If the DBs are not up to par, we want them to keep it in front of them as priority one.

I think the defense has played to its ability. They are playing for their teammates and coaches and not giving up. Banks is almost building a defense from scratch if you consider the numbers and talent last year. AR had a great game and made throws he wasn’t making. It happens but the team found a way to win. Cornbread, Butch and Dooley lose that game. I haven’t seen UT player play this hard in many years and I’ll take that any day. The defense is getting better but need lockdown corners.

I don’t care what these dopes say.

Good job coach Banks! Your guys did enough to win against a hated rival, a team we never can beat. I couldn’t be happier for our guys. I hope this gets the monkey off of their backs and gives them confidence to win and the encouragement to improve going forward.

Last edited:
My goodness VN calm down what was he supposed to get up there and bash the defense after a big win??? Y’all kill me on here sometimes it was easier to deal with when we were losing but the way some of y’all complain and moan about everything is terrible… y’all should know by now Heup is a public praise type of coach… we clearly know that the defense needs to keep working but what good would it have done for him to get up on the podium and make negative comments like seriously… the stats don’t tell the whole story if we were able to make 3 more plays on 4th down the yardage would’ve been significantly less… our DL and run defense was stout stop acting like y’all put in more time and effort than the coaches… If I told you before the season we’d be 4-0 with 2 top 20 wins we would’ve all been happy especially knowing the program heup took over… it takes time to fully change a culture our guys are still learning what it takes to win at a high level… I don’t want us playing our best ball in September we still have much to improve on but the coaches will do that it’s part of the culture heup is building… I want us playing our best ball in late October and into November… just relax VN and enjoy our team GBO.

Idk but how much would even one additional INT have changed the game? I’m not saying Richardson didn’t have a great game but some of the throws he made just wouldn’t happen against some more talented secondaries.
I think one additional turnover puts the game out of reach early in the 4th.

It looked like to me they decided to sell out to stop the run game, rush 3 but contain Richardson and make him beat them with his arm, hoping the DB's could make some zone plays. End result was they did stop the run, Richardson did not run wild and the DB's failed to make any plays. You combine that with UF deciding to go 4 down almost the entire game and the score was closer than expected, but good enough to win. Thats playing strength against weakness and why we have the best strategy coaching staff in the SEC.

I was pissed Saturday, mostly due to alcohol, but inwas very irrational in my assessment of the defense. The defense did their job and stopped FL on 3 downs, who knew FL would be desperate from the 1st quarter on and go for it on 4th down all game. They pretty much conceded they wouldn't be able to stop our offense. I don't foresee any other team utilizing the same strategy.
We finally make some progress on 3rd down stops and teams start going for it on 4th! Like you, I think the odds are against that strategy in general but FL beat the odds.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
I also believe we are playing with house money this year. Doubt we are a playoff contender. No other bowls really matter.
No one expects us to beat Uga and Bama. And we're in year 2. Games like the one against UF are great for recruiting.
We need to show improvement AND show recruits all UT has to offer. That's essentially what we're playing for this season.

Well, you didn't get your way. Your argument was for naught.
I'm looking forward to continued improvement in our D as the season progresses.

It's not my argument, bub, I was answering a question. I explained why many were and are skeptical. You're acting like I want him to fail. I haven't said anything about Banks. Only stated facts. Of course I hope he succeeds. That means the Vols improve on defense. If he doesn't, well, then Heupel will hire another DC. It's really that simple.

It's not my argument, bub, I was answering a question. I explained why many were and are skeptical. You're acting like I want him to fail. I haven't said anything about Banks. Only stated facts. Of course I hope he succeeds. That means the Vold improve on defense. If he doesn't, well, then Heupel will hire another DC. It's really that simple.
Relax, slick.
I was speaking in the collective you/your. Not the mbh you/your.

I like what Banks has done here for the most part, honestly Pruitt should have been the defensive genius and Banks defenses have looked better to me than what Pruitt put on the field, my concern in the Florida game was that we never adjusted to what Florida was doing, its like they were just hoping Richardson would make a big mistake, the defense wasnt going to do anything risky whatsoever just wait and hope he screws up, that was the strategy but it didnt work, they should have started bringing pressure heavy in the fourth quarter i mean even if he ran he was probably going to pick up less yards than he did throwing and he would have been burning clock so let him run at that point, idk, I just hope we see improvement against LSU.

As bad as we've been, I'd think people would be more appreciative about our start this year.

The d has played well and looked for the most part good to me. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with the way it's been coached.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
My goodness VN calm down what was he supposed to get up there and bash the defense after a big win??? Y’all kill me on here sometimes it was easier to deal with when we were losing but the way some of y’all complain and moan about everything is terrible… y’all should know by now Heup is a public praise type of coach… we clearly know that the defense needs to keep working but what good would it have done for him to get up on the podium and make negative comments like seriously… the stats don’t tell the whole story if we were able to make 3 more plays on 4th down the yardage would’ve been significantly less… our DL and run defense was stout stop acting like y’all put in more time and effort than the coaches… If I told you before the season we’d be 4-0 with 2 top 20 wins we would’ve all been happy especially knowing the program heup took over… it takes time to fully change a culture our guys are still learning what it takes to win at a high level… I don’t want us playing our best ball in September we still have much to improve on but the coaches will do that it’s part of the culture heup is building… I want us playing our best ball in late October and into November… just relax VN and enjoy our team GBO.

I agree with all of this, but I think he could’ve said it better.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Idk but how much would even one additional INT have changed the game? I’m not saying Richardson didn’t have a great game but some of the throws he made just wouldn’t happen against some more talented secondaries.

I can think of one additional turnover that impacted the Fla game... Fant's.
Kept things too close for too long

Reactions: mpfvol
Yes we won and that’s the most important thing. Stats don’t tell the story??? Yes they absolutely do. The stats tell us that our defense is bad. Banks benefits from one of college footballs best offenses. The offense can usually offset the bad defense. But against really good teams, that won’t work.

I am not sold on Banks at all. I really hope he massively improves and quickly.
He also benefits from the fastest offense in the country, we need speed on our defense, until we get it either from the portal or recruiting in the next 2 years…our defense doesn’t have to be great, it just needs a turnover here and there and about 3-5 stops a game. Until then…keep bringing the pressure to cover up our back end issues. JMO

I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?

He was never a full time DC before getting the job here. I mean I know I wanted a guy with at least a few years of DC experience. Hopefully can improve it he defense dramatically and quickly. But so don’t have much faith in that.

He also benefits from the fastest offense in the country, we need speed on our defense, until we get it either from the portal or recruiting in the next 2 years…our defense doesn’t have to be great, it just needs a turnover here and there and about 3-5 stops a game. Until then…keep bringing the pressure to cover up our back end issues. JMO

The pass defense has to be better than dead last in the SEC

Reactions: Vfl2407
Banks should kiss CJH’s rear every day.

Without our offensive firepower covering up the defensive stink, 95% of VN would already have out the torches and pitchforks.

With the exception of Garner’s group up front, which he gets more out of than is actually there, the rest is mostly putrid. Run defense has been solid for sure. Anything through the air — awful.

Sounds like he was dancing around throwing players under the bus or downplaying a win. I’m sure in the film room he his all over those guys.

I agree. As I mention above, I feel like he could’ve done that and also come across better. How coaches handle the press is for better or worse part of the job. Stuff that you say can come back to bite you if some unexpected adversity occurs.

That said, I think in terms of actual coaching and seeing improvements on the field, so far I’m pleased. Some technical things of course have to be addressed, like tackling, communication, etc. Maybe some strategic things are debatable, like was bringing more pressure and potentially not containing AR a better plan, but it is in fact debatable. I’m sure the coaches discuss such things and make adjustments. We need to recruit players for certain positions that have better physical characteristics. We can’t coach people to be faster.

As long as we are improving technique, calling plays well, learning from our mistakes, recruiting effectively and most importantly winning games I won’t complain too much. Press management is something to consider and learn from, but it’s way less important than putting progressively better teams on the field. Please save us from anymore good talkers who can’t coach football.

VN Store

Back