Doug Mathews secondary suggestion

Tennessee’s defensive scheme is predicated on their prolific offense. Heupel is gambling that we are going to outscore almost all opponents, therefore it‘s “keep the plays in front of us” and don’t give up easy scores. Ultimately, the only “stat” that really matters is the final score.
Would it not be better to gamble on D and allow a quick score vs. getting worn down by long drives so we won't be able to stop the opponent late in the game? Also, if the other team's offense gets off the field quickly, either by scoring, turnover or on downs, then our offense is on the field more, scoring more, and wearing out the opponents defense so they are completely gassed by the 4th Q.

Reactions: murfvol1
Can we stop with the Richardson had the game of his life business? Yes he had a good game but I dont think he would be starting at Florida if he didnt have the capacity to hit a wide open receiver while not being pressured at all, we had an atrocious day on defense and luckily we won, we are the reason he had a great game not him.

True, and yet the numbers show he had the game of his life.

Would it not be better to gamble on D and allow a quick score vs. getting worn down by long drives so we won't be able to stop the opponent late in the game? Also, if the other team's offense gets off the field quickly, either by scoring, turnover or on downs, then our offense is on the field more, scoring more, and wearing out the opponents defense so they are completely gassed by the 4th Q.
Good points. I would gamble more because I just hate not being able to stop good teams.

I was stunned by the amount of people on Saturday after the game that had Rose Colored glasses about our secondary.

Glad to see people are waking up.

IDC what we do as long as we mix it up. Don't expect different results if we don't make some sort of change. Injuries might have mattered a little but this is a coaching/recruiting issue imo

I mean what's worse, giving up an extra 100 years in rushing to the QB or an extra 200 yards in passing?

If that truly is the choice. Are our DBs that much better in Man Coverage?

As I mentioned in another post, one silver lining to playing AR, then a bye, then JD, is that you get film of all your mistakes in zone coverage against AR, then 2 weeks to fix it, then implement your corrections against JD.

True, and yet the numbers show he had the game of his life.
Ok maybe so but I still think it was more our defense allowing it than him doing something spectacular, he hit wide open receivers with no pressure, I will give him credit for the 4th down throw, that was clutch

Dudes it's the coach. Matthews knows the problem but want call out the name. Willie Martinez. He was the worst when butch was here. Couldn't coach um up then can't now. Go look at his Bio longest he stay anywhere is 2 to 3 yrs. Some of you older guys help me back several years ago we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and I think the nation for the season that had over 20 INT's for the year. Who was the coach?
Doug Dickeys team led the nation in INTs, but that was more than a few yrs ago

Off subject but can Kessling sound anymore boring and least excited during the game? Just seeing highlights with his voice it's terrible...

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Heupel is gonna have to trade out Martinez if a solid DB coach is available in the off season. These have been horrible performances by our secondary. DBs and safeties aren’t within miles of receivers. Even lowly Akron exposed our secondary.
I completely agree. As most posters are saying, nobody ever misses that guy when he moves on. I specifically remember dreading our secondary play last time he coached us. At least they didn’t give up the Hail Mary this time

He didn’t mince words on his Sunday morning radio show.
Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
Maybe go to a 4-3-4 instead of the current 4-2-5.
We saw a lot of young DBs in that game. Didn’t matter. The biggest issue was the scheme. They made AR throw the ball by playing way off…and he did

Doug's secondary in 1989 was as bad as this one. Alabama with Gary Hollingsworth passed for about 400 yds in a 47-30 win over the Vols. The next week Tommy Hodson at Lsu set a SEC record passing in a game Tennessee won something like 45-39. Then Majors talked Carl Pickens, a freshman WR, to move to FS and the pass defense improved dramatically. I think Pickens intercepted a pass in every game he played at safety including being the MVP on defense in the Cotton Bowl win over Arkansas. Doug is the poster boy for "It aint the Xs and Os its the Jimmys & Joes"
Yep....pretty much where we are now...

Best I remember Doug was coaching RBs when he moved over to DC

Last edited:
Reactions: wmcovol
Dudes it's the coach. Matthews knows the problem but want call out the name. Willie Martinez. He was the worst when butch was here. Couldn't coach um up then can't now. Go look at his Bio longest he stay anywhere is 2 to 3 yrs. Some of you older guys help me back several years ago we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and I think the nation for the season that had over 20 INT's for the year. Who was the coach?
Exactly what I have said! His secondaries have sucked everywhere he’s been.

Reactions: Volfan1000
People think they are mad right now, let’s move to a 4-3 when there are 4 Wr on the field and have linebackers in these zones rather Db’s on these 4.4 Wrs. That’ll do it

Replace our best cover CB? What!?

Well, he got burned deep once, jumped inside on sweeps all day and lost containment resulting in at least 3-4 first downs and a TD, and gave up a 40 yd touchdown for playing patty cake instead of tackling the receiver.

It may be true he's our best CB. I hope very much that he is not.

Matthews is terrible. Who would actually suggest putting more LBs on the field to improve your pass defense? Our LB coverage was a big part of the problem.

I listened to the show and I did not hear him say put more linebackers in an take DBs out. I interpreted what he said is playing more people at the 2 LB positions, not adding a third LB. He has repeatedly emphasized that we play a defense that has 5 DBs in all the time.

I did not realize he fire Donahue...Not questioning but I just did not realize it. When Matthews took over the Defense weren't we like 0-6 and then won 11 games in a row. I do remember Majors telling Matthews that he costs them a NC because of a loss to ? and the next season and shipped Matthews off to Miss State.

Yes, Matthews became DC before the Bama game in 1988. Tenn was 0-5 and lost to Bama 28-20. Then Tenn closed out the year winning 5 straight, vs weaker opponents and went 11-1 in ‘89 losing to Alabama. Defense was the problem as offense was LOADED. Majors demoted Matthews who quit instead & went to Vanderbilt. Majors hired Larry Lacewell as DC

I just don’t know if I can believe this. There is no way that Heupel doesn’t want a dominant defense. Why would prefer an average bend but don’t break scenario that keeps the ball out of the offenses hands? That’d be like owning your own store and being happy you sell just enough to keep the doors open. I imagine he wants a defense that will shut teams down, get off the field on 3rd (and 4th downs) and get the ball back to the offense so we can score even more. Florida had the perfect recipe to almost pull off the upset which is possess the ball as long as possible and limit our offenses possessions. It almost worked. Think about it, if we stop just 2 of those 4th down conversions, that game is probably 52-14 or worse. So I don’t buy that Heupel just wants a defense that can get a few stops here and there. He wants both sides of the ball to be the best they can be.

Absolutely, he wants both offense and defense to be the best they can be. The problem is, the overall talent of the defense is not at the level that it needs to be. Heupel can't do anything about that but recruit better players. That is what he is doing. Remember that most of the players on the field were not recruited by Heupel.

Should have been blitzing the QB more and often during the FL game. That doesn't even address the missed tackles. Defense is looking rough.

VN Store

Back