Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is worth the read and hell of a win boys sorry ain't been around yet.Sucks a family member who's been sick with cancer and other health concerns passed away yesterday afternoon.He absoutely loved UT football and has had season tickets for eons.

Well since he's been sick he hasn't been able to go.So yesterday morning asks grand daughter if she wanted to go take her 2 brothers.Why ocourse they do and they freaking had a blast.They grabbed a few souvenirs for papa n pictures qnd headed home.Called n called n no answer finally get home and go inside.Hes layed in his bed with the game on TV and no pulse.
Lord knows them kids need all the prayers they can get and football is the most unimportant thing right now.

Heres the part makes u glad to be a Vol in a gloomy unimportant moment.Man there zo lucky they had cameras n the room just to observe him.That man passed away exactly 7 minutes and 22 seconds after the final whistle.He never moved the whole game.With that final whistle blow he raised his arm maybe 30°.Hey I'm a tuff dude n I cried watching it with them.Its been very tuff but I really really don't think people understand just how big sports impact people's lifes.I know i personally have leaned on ppl here n a dark spot in my life.
Hugs to all of you.

When he was hired I was, to be honest, underwhelmed. As I got to know him, watched what he did and how he did it. Midwest through last year I was convinced we had backed our way into the right hire...... The right guy at the right time.

I only day backed into the hour because it was reported we were after booger names, I don't think any of those guys could have had us where we are today so quickly. Heupel has earned our trust and faith.
Tell us some of these so-called booger names.

His program so insignificant I’m not even sure what you’re talking about.
In the offseason, he was on some radio show or podcast; and, they quoted his overall record when introducing him. This twit starts by saying that he expects some more wins to be added to his record after the NCAA is finished with us. One of the weirdest, beta flexes I've ever seen/heard.

In the offseason, he was on some radio show or podcast; and, they quoted his overall record when introducing him. This twit starts by saying that he expects some more wins to be added to his record after the NCAA is finished with us. One of the weirdest, beta flexes I've ever seen/heard.
Especially because that's not how it works lol. What a dork.

Hey, John Peery, if you're around here (please God, let him be running around in here)...let me just say...you suck, your gray beard sucks, pretty sure your suck sucks, the gerbil up your ass sucks, your mostly retirement sucks, your 2006 Scion xB sucks, your cooking sucks, your fandom sucks, your dipsh!t take about Malzahn sucks, your twitter acct sucks (the baby in the pic is adorable; but, the pic still sucks because you're in it), your Casio watch sucks, your retweets suck, and your agreement with that piece of sh!t Wolken sucks ...you traitorous cucko.

😂 I love a good rant.

This is worth the read and hell of a win boys sorry ain't been around yet.Sucks a family member who's been sick with cancer and other health concerns passed away yesterday afternoon.He absoutely loved UT football and has had season tickets for eons.

Well since he's been sick he hasn't been able to go.So yesterday morning asks grand daughter if she wanted to go take her 2 brothers.Why ocourse they do and they freaking had a blast.They grabbed a few souvenirs for papa n pictures qnd headed home.Called n called n no answer finally get home and go inside.Hes layed in his bed with the game on TV and no pulse.
Lord knows them kids need all the prayers they can get and football is the most unimportant thing right now.

Heres the part makes u glad to be a Vol in a gloomy unimportant moment.Man there zo lucky they had cameras n the room just to observe him.That man passed away exactly 7 minutes and 22 seconds after the final whistle.He never moved the whole game.With that final whistle blow he raised his arm maybe 30°.Hey I'm a tuff dude n I cried watching it with them.Its been very tuff but I really really don't think people understand just how big sports impact people's lifes.I know i personally have leaned on ppl here n a dark spot in my life.
So very sorry your family has to endure this loss. Prayers for all of you.

Not remotely accurate.

We are 56th in YPA and 50th in opposing qbr. Last year we finished 60th and 63rd, both above national medians.

It isn't nearly that bad, so far. We'll see as the season progresses.

Using YPG is CLEARLY bs. We have had to defend the 4th most pass attempts in the country because our rush defense has shut folks down and our offense goes hyperfast lol.

At least let's use stats that can be compared evenly, such as per play stats.
Sometimes I like your analytics and sometimes I don't. This is one of those times that I like them.

There’s seemingly a lot of angst about our defensive performance in the game. It’s all over the web especially in the various forums where Vol fans gather. Obviously it’s in this thread too.

Our run defense did good but the concern is really still our pass defense. I think we had at least 13 pressures on Richardson. There’s a number of fans discounting any concerns or chalking it up to their lower expectations. The typical reasons are proposed that thwart any accountability. It is what it is.

I think our guys in the back end need to learn how to tackle. Hadden missed a lot of fall camp and so that’s a rational explanation why his tackling sometimes seems middle-schoolish. Still he led the team in tackles. He wasn’t alone in tackling deficiency. I think the whole backend played poorly. We might have given up 200 fewer yards if we had tackled better. We had a few opportunities to take Richardson to the ground behind the LOS but the effort on those plays by our blitzing DBs didn’t seem very convincing to me.

PFF grades for the game:

CB Christian Charles — 62.1 (81 plays)
CB Kamal Hadden — 60.3 (89 plays)
S Jaylen McCollough — 56.9 (90 plays)
S Trevon Flowers — 54.5 (90 plays)
STAR Tarmarion McDonald — 44.8 (74 plays)

I think everybody is glad to get the win but I think a number of people are lowering expectations based solely on the performance of our pass defense in the game. We were last in the country last year in pass defense for all of football, at any level, including pop warner. The disappointment after Saturday is that it looks like we’re even worse this year. We could make a pop warner QB a legitimate contender for the Heisman. We might even be able to get every 7-year old QB in the country nominated for the honor. lol

Heupel was critical of the pass defense in his postgame remarks. A lot of people in the stadium, probably including prospective recruits, at the end of the game were wondering whether or not we were going to choke the game away after such a brilliant offensive performance. Yes, Florida, regardless of what they say, went home with a moral victory. Who cares, right? Anyone who was referenced in the Tradition video narrated by David Keith several years ago. That’s who. Vol fans don’t want to just beat our rivals; we want them humiliated. That’s partly why the win to some is a bit less satisfying than it would have been if we could have delivered on Nico’s forecast of a 3 TD winning margin.

Heupel said we needed to be tighter in our coverage. After they watch the film I’m sure they’ll see that after missing a world record number of tackles that is something our secondary guys will also need to work on during the bye week.

SBV said after the Pitt game that “perhaps” Hooker had peaked in his performance last year. Listening to Hendon in the postgame that week I was disappointed in the way he addressed some legitimate concerns. That didn't happen this week. Hendon had a career performance against Florida and in the postgame both he and McCoy sitting side by side came across as guys I thought could compete for championships. They were down to earth and talked about preparation, work, and the job that they have the opportunity to do. Maybe the guys heard the noise and as I said at the time, “got their heads on straight.”

I think the same dynamic can work to improve our pass defense. I reject the idea that we don’t have the talent. I said last week we’d probably be okay without Tillman. We have a lot of talent on this roster and have had. The QBs, RBs, and WRs are playing championship level football. So is the DL and from what I can see so too are the LBs. I think the OL is good enough. I think at TE we're lacking a bit but the biggest weakness on our team I think is our secondary. I’m not convinced it’s the guys as much as I think it’s the way they’re playing. We need our coaches to coach them up and put them in the best position for them to be successful. It’s mostly about fundamentals and we have a bye week to work on it.

I’m pretty sure the staff and players will hear the noise. I hope they do. FPI after week 3 gave us a 50.6% probability of beating LSU. After the Florida game that shifted to a 59.1% chance of LSU beating us. We fell 4 spots in FPI and 3 spots in the Sagarin ratings. I think SP+ dropped us one spot. This is all based on the data from the game relative to pregame expectations by the computers. It’s not that important but it does align with the idea some fans have that even with the win we underperformed, especially in the closing moments of the game.

Hooker said in his postgame remarks the team’s goal this year is to get to Atlanta. That’s probably the staff’s goal too and the same for most fans. In order for that to happen we’re almost certainly going to have to improve the performance of our pass defense. No excuses. Let’s do this. jmo.
Reason by the numbers. Thank you.

There’s honestly probably a lot on here that were initially disappointed with the Heupel hire. I know every one of those folks are thrilled that they were wrong.

But yes, Dan Wolken is a chode.
I was somewhat disappointed when I heard it was Heupel. I definitely did not want Malzahn though. And, yes, Woke Dan remains a chode.

Just watched about 15 minutes of highlights. On at least 3 of the 4th downs, we played man in the secondary and got beat.
That call on 4th and 2 to throw it deep against man was ballsy. Shows you how much they trust AR throwing the ball. Seems we got the real version of him Saturday, and the couple games before that were outliers. I think he’s probably his best throwing when allowed to run, like Hooker.

There's a reason that the coaches have 6 DB's in this class and are still pursuing more. They know what NFL talent looks like, and it's just not there in the DB room yet. The soft zone against the gators was to keep AR from beating us with his legs and provide support in the run game. The strategy was to force them to have make long drives to score with AR passing. From what you had seen from previous games is that he would make a couple of costly throws. That didn't happen. He played the game of his life. If you play that game 10 times, he plays like that once. We got that one game yesterday, and we still won. Was it really a surprise that a Florida QB would play the best game of their career against us?
Some plays were definitely there. It’s not like some of his passes didn’t stay in the air forever. DBs had chances to make plays and at a minimum break up the pass.

Reactions: KptVFL
I like Clausen as well, but it’s revisionist history to act like everyone was a fan and he did have some frustrating games.

He made some good plays, but 2001 UT beat the Gators because the defense beat the hell outta grossman and Travis Stephens was unreal.
Yeah…. He wasn’t real well liked when he was here..People respected him more when they realized just how huge of a drop off it was from cutcliffe to Randy Sanders…. Casey did an awesome job with the outdated offense that he was tasked with running…. No matter the offense…. You wouldn’t want the iceman as your qb when it rained.

Reactions: letsgoUT29
Yep…… I know aren’t has a great rep but last year he gave up a few less ppg but more ypa pass…. Higher comp%…. And more yards per play as a defense…. He also gave up 30 plus points many times to Memphis, ole miss, Arkansas, Texas tech, 28 to LSU…. 49 Bama….. This year his defense gave up 31 in a loss to LSU…. He has been marginally better if any at all.

I learned my lesson under Butch when Jancek left…. We went out and brought in the high dollar defensive coordinator…. It turned out Jancek was the best DC and coaches during the Butch era. I would rather keep continuity and allow this defense to continue to grow.
From Fulmer's end days to now, I've decided I want whoever the head coach wants (& I just hope he chooses wisely). I think you can't overstate how important cohesiveness and camaraderie is in the locker room & on the field.

If HH and Heupel had the raw talent and defense of any of those Fulmer teams, he'd win 2-4 national titles.

Those QBs had the luxuries of top recruiting classes and defenses. Jmo but quite a few Fulmer QBs were overrated because their defenses were so elite. Statistically, not that close to HH at all. The ones mentioned were still quite good, not knocking them. But when people mention Andy Kelly because the teams won a bunch of games I just smh.
Andy Kelly, Peyton Manning, Heath Shular, Casey Clausen and on and on would light it up in this offense….Bryce Petty 3* 85 rated composite three for 4200 yards 32 TDs and 3 ints in the veer and shoot at Baylor…. This offense makes QBs not the other way around…. I’m not worried about the qb position or wr at all as long as we are running this style… He took Dillon Gabriel 3* and played him as a true freshman….. he threw for 3,653 yds 29 TDs 7 ints including 338 yds 2 TDs 2 ints against Pitt that year….It feels great to have an innovative offensive system over on the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back