SECN Prediction

I don't think they out talent us in hardly any positions outside of RB and secondary. OL is pretty even, I'd give us a slight edge, LB is pretty even, I'd honestly give us an edge on the D Line, WR is certainly us, QB is clearly us (Richardson is talented, but Hooker is far better of a QB at this point).

I really believe as far as talent level of players, we are finally on par with Florida.
The edge in this one, in my opinion, is going to come down to how our coaches use that talent - it will be a special teams play, a single defensive play, or a game situation (4th and short, two point conversion, etc.) play that will decide this one.

Vols will struggle to run the ball against UF's defense. WRs will have to have consistent success beating the press coverage they are gonna get from UF. Defensively, can the Vols contain AR's running and are the DBs better than the UF WR's in man coverage. Special teams are also a big concern.

This may not be Florida of the 90s but it's also not Kentucky of the 90s either. A close game that will come down to a few plays. Who will make them?

Vols will struggle to run the ball against UF's defense. WRs will have to have consistent success beating the press coverage they are gonna get from UF. Defensively, can the Vols contain AR's running and are the DBs better than the UF WR's in man coverage. Special teams are also a big concern.

This may not be Florida of the 90s but it's also not Kentucky of the 90s either. A close game that will come down to a few plays. Who will make them?
This is in my opinion a 7-5 Florida team who i think wont be able to keep up with Tennessee's offense Tennessee will score 45 while Florida's offense does well enough to score 28

Sounds like a few guys who are stuck in the old way of thinking that says time of possession is a key stat.

It is not, as we proved over and over again last year, winning the game while giving away the clock.

Old days: control time of possession, because each team is only going to get one, maybe two, at most three real chances to score all game long. Most possessions will end in a punt. The longer you hold the ball, the better your chances at getting one of those rare shots at the end zone.

Those were the days when final scores were like 21-14 or 14-10.

Those days are gone. A typical Tennessee game since Josh Heupel arrived is a shootout with 50, 60, even 80 total points by the two teams combined.

It is no longer time of possession. it is now breaking serve. Scoring more faithfully than the other guy each time you get the ball.

Funny how many of the talking heads on the sports shows still haven't figured out that paradigm shift in the game.

I gave you a like and agree. I know some of these are pretty obvious but become more important in Tennessee's offense due to its speed.

I think that its critical that Tennessee score early and often. Playing catch-up after half-time probably will not go well for Tennessee.

Tennessee really needs to score on their possessions, duh! I think it puts more pressure on them to score because if they don't then oppennet gets more plays/opportunities, due to Tn defense. The more possessions Tn does not score then the more opportunities/ opponents get. The more opportunities they get the more our defense can give up a score and must be on the field. There comes a tipping point when the defense is spent, exhausted..if it reaches that point and we are not ahead its not good.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I expect coach will do some things we haven't seen yet this year and put us in a great position to win.

Reactions: sjt18
I am very concerned about their speed at running back and also backs in passing game. They have gashed us for years on that stupid wheel route and quick slants by backs too.
The good news is, I don’t think this is the Florida team of old 😂 and I am not sold on Napier (I guess because I was around his support coaching staff a few years back in our old neighborhood in Lafayette) not convinced.. Home game, the opportunity is ripe, time to make them pay

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol
Few guys on SECN talking just said Florida out talents us at most positions. Just haven’t been able to put it together.

Said Florida will run the ball with success to limit our possessions. Said TN has one of the lowest time of possession already in all of FBS.

Said we will stack the box to stop the run and leave AR easy options 1 on 1 to make passes.

Their plan is to run, slow the game down to take the crowd out of it.

Interesting take. We will see.
Based on what? If it is recruiting rankings then UF also overwhelmingly "out talented" their first 3 opponents. According to 247's roster composite, UF is #12. UT is #17. UK is #27. Utah is #33. USF is #65.

It isn't unreasonable to say that UF has talent... or even that they have more talent on the whole than their 4 opponents up to this week. The suggestion that they "out talent" UT based on the rankings though is not a good argument. So that kind of begs the question of position group vs position group.

UT is better at QB.
UF is better at RB.
UT so far has been better on the OL though the rankings would suggest they shouldn't be.
UT's WR's and TE's are better and more experienced.

IMO, the DL's are a push at worst and maybe an edge to UT.
LB looks like a push
UF likely has more talent in the secondary

Do you remember who made the comment?

Few guys on SECN talking just said Florida out talents us at most positions. Just haven’t been able to put it together.

Said Florida will run the ball with success to limit our possessions. Said TN has one of the lowest time of possession already in all of FBS.

Said we will stack the box to stop the run and leave AR easy options 1 on 1 to make passes.

Their plan is to run, slow the game down to take the crowd out of it.

Interesting take. We will see.
It's weird seeing teams using time of possession to try to beat us. The entire point of our offense is that it doesn't take any time to score. The only way to beat it is to get a stop and to score on your own possession. If you have 8 slow possessions for 3 TDs and we have 8 fast possessions for 5 TDs, guess who wins.

Reactions: sjt18
The good news is, I don’t think this is the Florida team of old 😂 and I am not sold on Napier (I guess because I was around his support coaching staff a few years back in our old neighborhood in Lafayette) not convinced.. Home game, the opportunity is ripe, time to make them pay
Interesting. I knew Billy from his time in Lafayette. I really like him.

Interesting. I knew Billy from his time in Lafayette. I really like him.
Oh no, he is a fantastic guy.. no doubt.. I just don’t think he is ready for the UL to UF leap, and he is just too good and too nice for that Gator culture ( we lived in Youngsville)..also went to church with his players.. like I said.. culture clash

Reactions: txbo
Oh no, he is a fantastic guy.. no doubt.. I just don’t think he is ready for the UL to UF leap, and he is just too good and too nice for that Gator culture ( we lived in Youngsville)..also went to church with his players.. like I said.. culture clash

I was going to guess Youngsville but didn't know if that would be appropriate. Nice area. I love Lafayette.

Reactions: LadyVolette
UF probably has the better defense overall but not by a considerable margin like previous years. South Florida scored 28 Points and had the opportunity to tie the game late. I am not so sure South Florida would score 28 points on Tennessee’s defense. I would take our offense and quarterback no question.

USF as a coaching blunder away from taking UF down. You were in FG range and you didn't just go under center?

It's weird seeing teams using time of possession to try to beat us. The entire point of our offense is that it doesn't take any time to score. The only way to beat it is to get a stop and to score on your own possession. If you have 8 slow possessions for 3 TDs and we have 8 fast possessions for 5 TDs, guess who wins.
Yep. Spurrier didn't worry about TOP when he was beating up on Fulmer back in the 90's. In fact, he relished Fulmer's repeated efforts to beat him with TOP and D. On a 5 play drive, you have 5 opportunities to make a mistake that stops your drive. On a 12 play drive... you have 12. The idea that a high speed, spread, big play O is necessarily more risky than a "pound the rock" O... is false.

I won't be surprised if UF plays D more like Ball State than Pitt. Ball State was dedicated to keep everything in front and hope that UT made mistakes. UF's players can have more success doing that than BSU.

I think the Vols upset Florida next year in the swamp. Too many distractions and pressure this year.
Curious. How many players do you know (on both sides) and how are UT's players distracted in some way that UF is not?

I personally think our run defense is better than given credit for. Whether that’s our DL or Banks dialing it up. Other than one long run for Pitt, we have dominated the line of scrimmage this season. I’m aware this will be the best OL we’ve faced. But I really think our defense is stingy. Let’s hope our slow start at Pitt was a fluke and we execute on offense early. Just need to make the easy throws and get 5-7 yards. Florida will undoubtedly be loading the box like Pitt because they saw what happens if we miss the easy plays.

Maybe watch/listen to something other than SECN……because most everyone else out there is saying……totality the opposite.

11 point dog but they outclass Tennessee at most every position…….laughable!

Tennessee has more talent and I think most everyone without an agenda knows this. Tennessee’s O is better and Tennessee’s D is better.

VN Store

Back