2023 Target List

Tennessee hasn’t been in to see him since the live period re-opened, that’s about as disengaged as you can get.

That’s an overstatement. In the ten days of reopened live period, they’ve talked, discussed his recruitment and even talked about seeing him at Combine Academy or after. I think it’s a longshot at this point , but I do not agree with your characterization that this is as disengaged as you can get.

That’s an overstatement. In the ten days of reopened live period, they’ve talked, discussed his recruitment and even talked about seeing him at Combine Academy or after. I think it’s a longshot at this point , but I do not agree with your characterization that this is as disengaged as you can get.
Well considering they went and saw Cosby Day 1, all 3 commitments, and a host of 2024 kids that speaks volumes about where they are with Demary. What you described above is the very definition of trying to keep someone “warm” in recruiting, which they’re doing with many 2023 kids. You don’t, not visit a kid if you’re truly interested in him, and Demary knows this which is why he’s not been mentioning Tennessee in any recent interviews.

Well considering they went and saw Cosby Day 1, all 3 commitments, and a host of 2024 kids that speaks volumes about where they are with Demary. What you described above is the very definition of trying to keep someone “warm” in recruiting, which they’re doing with many 2023 kids. You don’t, not visit a kid if you’re truly interested in him, and Demary knows this which is why he’s not been mentioning Tennessee in any recent interviews.

You said we could not be more disengaged. That’s factually incorrect. Nothing you said refutes that. I have said he’s a longshot. The story of his recruitment is way more nuanced than us not being “truly interested”. There’s some mutual sour feelings that probably can’t be fixed, but we stayed in contact, and that is the definition of engagement. If we didn’t fix the relationship before the academy, it probably won’t be fixed, but we didn’t quit trying.

You said we could not be more disengaged. That’s factually incorrect. Nothing you said refutes that. I have said he’s a longshot. The story of his recruitment is way more nuanced than us not being “truly interested”. There’s some mutual sour feelings that probably can’t be fixed, but we stayed in contact, and that is the definition of engagement. If we didn’t fix the relationship before the academy, it probably won’t be fixed, but we didn’t quit trying.
Yes I didn’t mean “couldn’t be more disengaged” as in he was just a random kid we have no dialogue whatsoever with, I assumed that was a given. What I was saying was what I said before, we cooled on him and he cooled on us after Dilione take, we moved our chips to Cosby and as any staff does we still checked in every now and again with Demary, but we weren’t recruiting him like we had before. We haven’t gone and seen him one time since Dilione commitment, in recruiting that speaks absolute volumes, he’s had double digit schools in to see him in that timeframe, some multiple times, we haven’t gone once. Sure there’s some dialogue here and there, but again, for all intents and purposes he’s not a legitimate target.

Having a chance with Cosby was always contingent on getting a visit. Given the recent change in his plan, I get the feeling Alabama made an offer that came with an ultimatum, and he took the deal. Prior to this week, everything I heard was WF led, but that was probably biased info as it was all from NC people.

Yes I didn’t mean “couldn’t be more disengaged” as in he was just a random kid we have no dialogue whatsoever with, I assumed that was a given. What I was saying was what I said before, we cooled on him and he cooled on us after Dilione take, we moved our chips to Cosby and as any staff does we still checked in every now and again with Demary, but we weren’t recruiting him like we had before. We haven’t gone and seen him one time since Dilione commitment, in recruiting that speaks absolute volumes, he’s had double digit schools in to see him in that timeframe, some multiple times, we haven’t gone once. Sure there’s some dialogue here and there, but again, for all intents and purposes he’s not a legitimate target.

Two of our assistants went to Combine Academy to see Demary this week.

They sat and disengaged with Demary (who was in attendance at this event) and his dad for about twenty minutes.
Ok? Again, this continues to be the definition of keeping someone warm, Demary is far from the only prospect they talked to while there. They’ve not gone to see HIM once since open period, multiple other schools have now been in multiple times, he happened to be at an event where some top 2024 targets where and so of course Tennessee spoke with him and his family, there’s a relationship there as you know. Again, until Tennessee goes out of their way to see HIM, or bring HIM on a visit here he’s not a legitimate target. He’s among many 2023 guys that Tennessee continues to talk to because that’s how recruiting works, in 2 years maybe you decide you want him when he enters the portal, but right now he’s not a legitimate 2023 target, and he knows that.

I just share facts and let grownups decide how to read them. Not once have I said he’s a likely signee. I’d love to have him, but I don’t see it happening. I’m not sure why you need to respond to factual information with a counter-narrative. There’s nothing to refute when it comes to facts. I probably won’t stop sharing updates, even if it upsets you. I think everyone here understands the context and state of his recruitment. If anyone else is triggered by that information, they can adjust their settings accordingly. You probably know where things went off the rails with Demary, as do I. If nothing else, it’s worth it to communicate to repair perceptions with both him, the HS coaches. Our new lines into NC are bearing good opportunities.

I just share facts and let grownups decide how to read them. Not once have I said he’s a likely signee. I’d love to have him, but I don’t see it happening. I’m not sure why you need to respond to factual information with a counter-narrative. There’s nothing to refute when it comes to facts. I probably won’t stop sharing updates, even if it upsets you. I think everyone here understands the context and state of his recruitment. If anyone else is triggered by that information, they can adjust their settings accordingly. You probably know where things went off the rails with Demary, as do I. If nothing else, it’s worth it to communicate to repair perceptions with both him, the HS coaches. Our new lines into NC are bearing good opportunities.
If you're comfortable sharing, broadly of course, where did things go off the rails? Was it a staff preference for Dilione over Demary? Cosby over Demary? Or something more complex where we just dropped the ball?

If you're comfortable sharing, broadly of course, where did things go off the rails? Was it a staff preference for Dilione over Demary? Cosby over Demary? Or something more complex where we just dropped the ball?

Yes. That’s pretty much it. We didn’t share information about the seriousness of our recruitment of Cosby, signed Dillione before talking to him or his/coaches about it. In fairness, no one expected the pace of Dillione signing, but we handled it poorly. It didn’t line up with telling DeMary he was a priority.

It has just seemed like you’ve continued shading Demary info, while not mentioning other off the radar guys, which will lead many here to think Demary is a priority type target for this staff when that is not the case. Rodney Brown isn’t mentioned here, GW3 wasn’t, Dumont isn’t, there’s tons of guys in 2023 class who are being recruited the same as Demary, but you have only posted about Demary which has usually come on the heels of me saying he isn’t a major target. Your update today came with you quoting my post about him, so again it would seemingly read as if you are suggesting my take on him is wrong and that he’s a priority for this staff, when that is not the case, that’s all I’ve been saying.

Yes. That’s pretty much it. We didn’t share information about the seriousness of our recruitment of Cosby, signed Dillione before talking to him or his/coaches about it. In fairness, no one expected the pace of Dillione signing, but we handled it poorly. It didn’t line up with telling DeMary he was a priority.
Demary needed to move faster imo, he wanted to go slow and flirt with other programs and take a serious look at Kansas…he could’ve jumped in the boat way back when and who knows, maybe that would’ve pushed Dilione elsewhere, but imo Demary/his people didn’t handle it the best either.

It has just seemed like you’ve continued shading Demary info, while not mentioning other off the radar guys, which will lead many here to think Demary is a priority type target for this staff when that is not the case. Rodney Brown isn’t mentioned here, GW3 wasn’t, Dumont isn’t, there’s tons of guys in 2023 class who are being recruited the same as Demary, but you have only posted about Demary which has usually come on the heels of me saying he isn’t a major target. Your update today came with you quoting my post about him, so again it would seemingly read as if you are suggesting my take on him is wrong and that he’s a priority for this staff, when that is not the case, that’s all I’ve been saying.

This began when Mookie asked if we had disengaged with Demary. I didn’t mention those other players because he didn’t ask about them. I sent today’s info as a reply to your thread because I thought you’d be interested, and we just discussed it a couple of days ago. I’m not worried about creating any recruiting hysteria by sharing that we talked to him yesterday. I’ve been pretty clear that I don’t see us having much of a shot. Again, I think much of what their doing now is smoothing over a poorly handled situation.

Demary needed to move faster imo, he wanted to go slow and flirt with other programs and take a serious look at Kansas…he could’ve jumped in the boat way back when and who knows, maybe that would’ve pushed Dilione elsewhere, but imo Demary/his people didn’t handle it the best either.
Agreed. I said earlier, both sides were bruised, and neither side handled it perfectly. It was worth smoothing over.

This began when Mookie asked if we had disengaged with Demary. I didn’t mention those other players because he didn’t ask about them. I sent today’s info as a reply to your thread because I thought you’d be interested, and we just discussed it a couple of days ago. I’m not worried about creating any recruiting hysteria by sharing that we talked to him yesterday. I’ve been pretty clear that I don’t see us having much of a shot. Again, I think much of what their doing now is smoothing over a poorly handled situation.
And I don’t disagree, as I said with the portal it’s not a bad idea…you’ve seemed to just suggest post Dilione that he’s still a viable/legit 2023 target and to that I have disagreed.

I don’t think anyone on this board has expectations of Demary as a priority target anymore. So, if this entire hysteria is over making that known. It’s known. I appreciate the info SF. Don’t stop bringing it.
Well you did just ask about him on Monday and if we were going to pick things back up there…

And I don’t disagree, as I said with the portal it’s not a bad idea…you’ve seemed to just suggest post Dilione that he’s still a viable/legit 2023 target and to that I have disagreed.
I am not sure how I could “seem to suggest” that while saying the opposite. I haven’t believed we were in a good position since post Dillione. There was a week after Dillione when we were trying to repair things pretty actively. I haven’t felt like we had a reasonable shot since then, and have said so pretty regularly.

Reactions: berryvol
I am not sure how I could “seem to suggest” that while saying the opposite. I haven’t believed we were in a good position since post Dillione. There was a week after Dillione when we were trying to repair things pretty actively. I haven’t felt like we had a reasonable shot since then, and have said so pretty regularly.
Well post Dilione I said he was off the board and you disagreed with that take, although now seem to be agreeing that he’s unlikely to come here…whether it was us, him, or handlers once Dilione committed to us Demary wasn’t a legitimate target, that’s all I’ve been saying.

VN Store

Back