2024 Recruiting Thread

is Jaloni Cambridge risky? I understand what you’re saying. Does a portal player that doesn’t pan out and has 2-3 years left risky?

I'll answer that...Jillian Hollingshead,,,can play 3 years, transfer from GA...at GA;
  • Played in 20 games, averaging 5.1 points and 2.5 rebounds while shooting 48.8 percent from the field and 69.2 percent from the charity stripe.
  • Missed a good portion of the season due to an illness and then swelling in her knee, but notched two games scoring in double figures
  • Tallied 15 points on 7-of-13 shooting vs. Dayton in the NCAA Tournament First Round in 15 minutes of action.
  • Had a 12-point performance against South Alabama on Dec. 21, the first double-figure scoring game of her career.
  • Scored nine points and brought down four boards against No. 2-ranked NC State in a season-high 27 minutes.
  • Registered all seven of her points and career-best five rebounds in the fourth quarter against Mercer.
  • Tallied six of her SEC-high eight points in the second half at Florida on Jan. 2.
  • Finished with eight points and five boards in each of her first two college games against Gardner-Webb and Furman.

also
Jasmine Powell: at Minnesota;
  • Started 48 of 68 games, averaging 28.8 mpg.,12.8 ppg., 4.4 apg., 3.8 rpg. and 1.3 spg. over three seasons.
  • Shot 35.0 percent on field goals, 32.3 percent on threes and 75.9 percent on free throws.
  • Connected on 91 threes in 282 attempts.
  • Had 302 assists compared to 230 turnovers during her time in Minneapolis.
  • Owns career highs of 24 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, five steals and two blocks.

Jasmine Franklin: at Missouri state;
  • First-Team All-MVC – 2019-20 & 2020-21
  • MVC Defensive Player of the Year -- 2020-21
  • MVC All-Defensive Team -- 2020-21
  • Preseason WNIT All-Tournament Team -- 2020-21
  • MVC Academic Honor Roll -- 2019-20
  • All-MVC Honorable Mention -- 2018-19
  • MVC All-Freshman Team -- 2018-19
  • Seven-Time MVC Player of the Week -- 2019-20 (2), 2020-21 (2), 2021-22 (3)
  • Four-Time MVC Newcomer of the Week -- 2018-19

Rickea Jackson: at Mississippi State;
  • Played in 67 games and started 58 of them in three seasons at Mississippi State.
  • Led the Bulldogs in scoring all three years she was in Starkville.
  • Averaged 16.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.4 steals over 31.6 minutes per game.
  • Shot 44.4 percent from the field, 29.6 on threes and 68.3 on free throws.
  • Scored in double figures 52 times, recording six double-doubles.
  • Tallied 20 or more points 19 times, 30+ three times and 40+ on one occasion.
"If you build it they will come"
they're here!

I'll answer that...Jillian Hollingshead,,,can play 3 years, transfer from GA...at GA;
  • Played in 20 games, averaging 5.1 points and 2.5 rebounds while shooting 48.8 percent from the field and 69.2 percent from the charity stripe.
  • Missed a good portion of the season due to an illness and then swelling in her knee, but notched two games scoring in double figures
  • Tallied 15 points on 7-of-13 shooting vs. Dayton in the NCAA Tournament First Round in 15 minutes of action.
  • Had a 12-point performance against South Alabama on Dec. 21, the first double-figure scoring game of her career.
  • Scored nine points and brought down four boards against No. 2-ranked NC State in a season-high 27 minutes.
  • Registered all seven of her points and career-best five rebounds in the fourth quarter against Mercer.
  • Tallied six of her SEC-high eight points in the second half at Florida on Jan. 2.
  • Finished with eight points and five boards in each of her first two college games against Gardner-Webb and Furman.

also
Jasmine Powell: at Minnesota;
  • Started 48 of 68 games, averaging 28.8 mpg.,12.8 ppg., 4.4 apg., 3.8 rpg. and 1.3 spg. over three seasons.
  • Shot 35.0 percent on field goals, 32.3 percent on threes and 75.9 percent on free throws.
  • Connected on 91 threes in 282 attempts.
  • Had 302 assists compared to 230 turnovers during her time in Minneapolis.
  • Owns career highs of 24 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, five steals and two blocks.

Jasmine Franklin: at Missouri state;
  • First-Team All-MVC – 2019-20 & 2020-21
  • MVC Defensive Player of the Year -- 2020-21
  • MVC All-Defensive Team -- 2020-21
  • Preseason WNIT All-Tournament Team -- 2020-21
  • MVC Academic Honor Roll -- 2019-20
  • All-MVC Honorable Mention -- 2018-19
  • MVC All-Freshman Team -- 2018-19
  • Seven-Time MVC Player of the Week -- 2019-20 (2), 2020-21 (2), 2021-22 (3)
  • Four-Time MVC Newcomer of the Week -- 2018-19

Rickea Jackson: at Mississippi State;
  • Played in 67 games and started 58 of them in three seasons at Mississippi State.
  • Led the Bulldogs in scoring all three years she was in Starkville.
  • Averaged 16.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.4 steals over 31.6 minutes per game.
  • Shot 44.4 percent from the field, 29.6 on threes and 68.3 on free throws.
  • Scored in double figures 52 times, recording six double-doubles.
  • Tallied 20 or more points 19 times, 30+ three times and 40+ on one occasion.
"If you build it they will come"
they're here!
I acknowledged Hollingshead just a few days ago. Like I said, short term fix on players with 1-2 years if you don't address the lack of Top Tier kids coming into the program. This year they were able to capitalize on talent, and eventually if you don't fill the pipeline it gets sideways. I do believe Kellie is putting all the chips on the table this year as is that time to produce.

Last edited:
This will be Kellie's 4th season as head coach. So far, with the exception of Justine Pissott, she has not succeeded in recruiting in the top of the HS classes. She has nevertheless recruited pretty well with her HS recruits on balance. They will generally provide excellent depth to a starting lineup of transfers and long-time program players recruited by Holly (Key and Jordy, etc). It's a mystery to me as to why no HS players have committed here in 2 years. It is a concern, given that many have been offered in that time. But I have no clue as to how concerning it should be, or whether it should be concerning at all. I'm inclined to say don't fix it if it ain't broke. Kellie has been improving this program year over year, and this squad - no matter how it was assembled - looks like it could put us in the FF. One can reasonably conclude such an outcome will bring HS recruits at the highest level to the program. I'm going to go with that thought, root for us to have a great year, and see where the blue chips fall after that.

This will be Kellie's 4th season as head coach. So far, with the exception of Justine Pissott, she has not succeeded in recruiting in the top of the HS classes. She has nevertheless recruited pretty well with her HS recruits on balance. They will generally provide excellent depth to a starting lineup of transfers and long-time program players recruited by Holly (Key and Jordy, etc). It's a mystery to me as to why no HS players have committed here in 2 years. It is a concern, given that many have been offered in that time. But I have no clue as to how concerning it should be, or whether it should be concerning at all. I'm inclined to say don't fix it if it ain't broke. Kellie has been improving this program year over year, and this squad - no matter how it was assembled - looks like it could put us in the FF. One can reasonably conclude such an outcome will bring HS recruits at the highest level to the program. I'm going to go with that thought, root for us to have a great year, and see where the blue chips fall after that.

Well said 👍🏽

This! This!!! This!!!

Im going to wait to see how we do this year with the boatload of talent we have. Hopefully that milkshake brings all the girls to the yard (campus) 🥹

Sorry, I’ll let myself out! 😂

This! This!!! This!!!

Im going to wait to see how we do this year with the boatload of talent we have. Hopefully that milkshake brings all the girls to the yard (campus) 🥹

Sorry, I’ll let myself out! 😂

HAHAHA, I love it LadyVol1908! I'm not going to worry about it until IF and a HIGHLY UNLIKELY when Kellie is unable to field a roster that can compete. Until then I will enjoy what we have!

all I can say is ... Coach K followed 7 years of the torture that was "Holly Ball"
and this year she has 5 players in which are in their 1st year of playing for TN.

However, most BB people consider this team a potential top 5 team

So. indeed,,,this year will be very telling as to what she can do with a deep and talented roster

Reactions: chuckiepoo
all I can say is ... Coach K followed 7 years of the torture that was "Holly Ball"
and this year she has 5 players in which are in their 1st year of playing for TN.

However, most BB people consider this team a potential top 5 team

So. indeed,,,this year will be very telling as to what she can do with a deep and talented roster
Please don’t call Kellie Coach K. That moniker is taken and retired. She deserves her own.

Coach K is better than Kelly. Fans should have enough respect to at least spell the HC of UT correctly.

I don't know if this was meant to chastise someone, or was meant as satire but, if not meant as satire, you should at least spell the name of the head coach, Kellie Harper, correctly!

Jim

I don't know if this was meant to chastise someone, or was meant as satire but, if not meant as satire, you should at least spell the name of the head coach, Kellie Harper, correctly!

Jim
Coach K is better than Kelly, because Kelly is spelled incorrectly. That's what I meant. I am well aware it's Kellie. And have made a good 50 posts saying it is K E L L I E.

Coach K is better than Kelly, because Kelly is spelled incorrectly. That's what I meant. I am well aware it's Kellie. And have made a good 50 posts saying it is K E L L I E.

I've caught myself on that mistake. When I post from my phone it usually defaults to Kelly. I'm sure I've missed it a time or two by failing to proofread.

Mike Krzyzewski...pronounced ... "shih-ZHEF-skee " per Wikipedia, were pronounced "Kerz-i-zewski" I might not be so given to take the nickname from him

just saying

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Which is why I included the phrase, "or was meant as satire". Intent/sarcasm is sometimes difficult to ascertain in a written post. And, no, I don't intend to scour someone's previous postings to try to determine the meaning/purpose of an ambiguous post and because of my advancing age, I simply don't have sufficient left-over memory cells to store everyone's previous posts for instant recall. Sorry if my inability to recognize your intent has offended you.

Jim

One thing that is different now than in the past is it doesn't matter how you get the players as long as you get them. There is no longer a need to get a large class of high school players. I would say no more than 3 in a class would be ideal from now on. Only a few freshmen can make a difference in their first season so having about three a season and adding a couple of experienced portal players is the best way to build a team since portal players now have immediate eligibility. We got four portal players last year and two of them have two years and three years of eligibility remaining. You get three freshmen this season they come in with nine returnees and you have three scholarships left to look for any team deficiencies that you may need to address. I think the five freshman class unless they are all top ten players is a thing of the past. 1000 players to choose from finding a couple that can elevate your team is no longer that difficult.

Well, while we’re talking about this, we called Coach Summitt, Pat, and she seemed more personal to us. We felt like we knew her. I feel like I know Coach Harper, so Kellie seems right to me. After all, she is following in Pat’s footsteps. Just like Tara, Geno, Kim, Cher, some people are known well enough by their first name. I think Kellie is becoming one of those.

Jumper may actually be the only person alive not having been stranded all alone on a deserted Island for the last 40 years who doesn’t automatically (and will FOREVERMORE) think ONLY of Mike Krzyzewski when reading or hearing the name “Coach K.”

He’s been informed at least a dozen times here how eye-rollingly unoriginal it is to use that nickname for Kellie Harper, but his inner narcissist makes him stubbornly hold onto it. It’s literally cringe-inducing to me. Ick.

VN Store

Back