Not so sure!!!!

We won a tough game against a good top 20 team on the road playing far less than our best football. This exactly the kind of game we would have found a way to lose for the last decade. It was ugly as hell and there are tons of things to clean up, but the team showed it can win a game where seemingly everything is going wrong. The positive of that far outweighs any negatives, all of which can be straightened out.

We muffed a punt and had a punt blocked. Also we started really slow. See? I can make excuses too.

I agree! It was a “sloppy” game on both sides. I believe that Heuple made the right decision to go to Over-Time.

I honestly think that Tennessee had the better team (with or without Pitt’s starting QB)

A couple less turnovers & it wouldn’t have even been close.

But, as said before - BOTH teams had a few.

It was good to see the VOLS overcome adversity!……

Reactions: tellicoflash
The mistakes we made are very fixable. An unblocked man blocks a punt and the punt return fumbled. Despite his great game, Tillman had 4 drops if I remember correctly. Hooker also missed some wide open receivers. But this is a game that previous UT teams don’t win. We can and will play better. Wasn't pretty, but a win over a ranked opponent on the road is a good win.

This wasn’t a scrimmage like last week. Playing a competitive team shows what we really need to work on going forward. Games like today will only make us better. Good teams find a way to win even when things aren’t going their way.

We got lucky. They missed 3 fieldgoals amd played with a hurt quarterback. I really expected much more from our Vols. I am not convinced we have turned any corner.... Hopefully this was just a tough game. I worry about Florida and if we do not play consistent we may have a few more losses... keeping fingers crossed.

Nah. We played much better than last year. And they didn’t have an NFL QB tonight. And they played with a hurt QB because our defense hurt him with so many hits. And our defense got after their QBs all night long. And Tillman owned no. 25 many times. We made far too many mistakes, of course, but we played well enough to gut out a win.

Game ball to Tim Banks and the defense.

We got lucky. They missed 3 fieldgoals amd played with a hurt quarterback. I really expected much more from our Vols. I am not convinced we have turned any corner.... Hopefully this was just a tough game. I worry about Florida and if we do not play consistent we may have a few more losses... keeping fingers crossed.
We had a blocked punt and two fumbles in 2nd half while playing in a nasty environment. Had way to many penalties that stalled drives and a TD called back.
In the past 15 years we lose this game but we won. That's turning the corner to me.

Last edited:
Ok

They got lucky to even be in the game.

Muff punt return
block kick
the fumble

Untimely penalties

It goes both ways.

Tennessee beat the 17th ranked team in their own house.

Good to get this win--we've lost way too many close games over the last 15 years--but rankings mean little before the 2nd/3rd game of the season.

Good to get this win--we've lost way too many close games over the last 15 years--but rankings mean little before the 2nd/3rd game of the season.

I agree about the rankings.

However I firmly believe Pitt is a good team. Not great, but good and they will finish ranked.

They missed fgs, we muffed a punt, had a punt blocked, fumbled, overthrew a td, and so on. If this if that doesn’t matter. After making every possible mistake, we still came away with a ranked win on the road. I’ll take it.
I disagree that those mistakes don’t matter. That many mistakes show we were not mentally prepared and that reflects poor preparation. A dropped pass or two, ok that happens. The number that we had usually means a loss. So does not having any kind of run game.

LOL that's what to us last year and why Pitt won. 150 yds in penalties, 3 turnovers last season. It evened out!

Agreed - we are going to need to improve in many areas - but we did play hard and managed to pull out a win. We are not as good on offense as we were at this time last year. Needs a lot of work. We did get some good pressure on the qbs which was very good to see.

Disagree, this time last year we lost to Pitt because our offense struggled. We didn’t find an offense until after the Florida game.

I disagree that those mistakes don’t matter. That many mistakes show we were not mentally prepared and that reflects poor preparation. A dropped pass or two, ok that happens. The number that we had usually means a loss. So does not having any kind of run game.

I wasn’t saying the mistakes don’t matter, I was saying the what if game doesn’t matter. The op said “if Pitt didn’t miss the fgs”, they might’ve had the win. You could just as easily say “if Tennessee didn’t muff a punt or overthrow a td or fumble, we would’ve won easily”. The reality is we played sloppy, made almost every critical error possible, and yet we still walked out with a ranked win on the road.

OP, I hear you. However, you are looking at this with just 1 angle. How many " almost interceptions " did we have tonight? With being under the influence of emotions, I remember at least 4. The actual number is more like 5. If we get half of those how does that effect the game?

I agree, but I’m hoping for the best

VN Store

Back