Fire Ants

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
These bastards are becoming a real pain in my nether regions.

My wife is anaphylactic allergic to them, and I got a sting tonight by the pool that is keeping me from sleep.

Anyone have a dog-safe way to treat pool pavers/yard without paying for an exterminator service?

Reactions: dduncan4163

My wife is anaphylactic allergic to them, and I got a sting tonight by the pool that is keeping me from sleep.

Anyone have a dog-safe way to treat pool pavers/yard without paying for an exterminator service?

We have used this for ant control for years at two different houses. It works very well.

Taurus SC Termiticide

I have dogs and no qualms using available pest control barrier concentrate. There are natural based solutions available but have never used them. Most important is to use a stick or prod and wreck the mound, spray it down and then (lightly) broadcast amdro fire ant bait in the area around said wrecked mound. When I was in pest control, one of my customers swore by diatomaceous earth broadcasted with a granule spreader.

I spray my yard with bifen. It is pet friendly once dry and works awesome. I get mine at at supply, 60.00 a gallon for concentrate and mix with 30 gallons of water.

I'm afraid to ask how they're getting in your nether regions.

I have dogs and no qualms using available pest control barrier concentrate. There are natural based solutions available but have never used them. Most important is to use a stick or prod and wreck the mound, spray it down and then (lightly) broadcast amdro fire ant bait in the area around said wrecked mound. When I was in pest control, one of my customers swore by diatomaceous earth broadcasted with a granule spreader.
I don't see any mounds. My biggest problem area is the paver decking around the pool. I assume they are in the sand/ paver base

I don't see any mounds. My biggest problem area is the paver decking around the pool. I assume they are in the sand/ paver base
This is the first year I’ve noticed them in my yard and the mounds they’ve made so far have been fairly small. I’m seeing them more and more around plants, and just found out that they can be destructive to plants. If you have any roses, check them closely for activity as they seem to be attracted to them from my experience.

Reactions: walkenvol
Fire ants don’t travel very far and their mounds aren’t subtle. The moisture is what’s attracting them. Try the amdro outside that base, but don’t let it get damp (reduces effectiveness). The Queen eats one and the whole mound dies. Soaking that paver with whichever product you use. You want the activity.

We have used this for ant control for years at two different houses. It works very well.

Taurus SC Termiticide
I have used that stuff for about 10 years and it works great, although not for fire ants. I live on the Stones River and I see mounds on "the other side" of the river but I have not seen any on "my side". I am sure just a matter of time though.

I have used that stuff for about 10 years and it works great, although not for fire ants. I live on the Stones River and I see mounds on "the other side" of the river but I have not seen any on "my side". I am sure just a matter of time though.
Termiticide is very effective at ant control…moreso for long term than instantaneous. That’s the rub with fire ants tho. They transplant mounds so quickly that it’s not alway the go to treatment. If his mound is embedded in the sand and pavers, permanently removing that as a habitat should net results.

Termiticide is very effective at ant control…moreso for long term than instantaneous. That’s the rub with fire ants tho. They transplant mounds so quickly that it’s not alway the go to treatment. If his mound is embedded in the sand and pavers, permanently removing that as a habitat should net results.

I'm not clear on your thinking here. If the colonies are in the sand and pavers, wouldn't a "colony killer" product, like Fiprinil (Taurus SC), be better than digging up the pavers? In my experience, if you spray the Fiprinil on surfaces that the ants frequent, the entire colony is dead in several days. The spray is residual for months. As yet, we haven't had any reinfestations after a colony has been killed. Obviously, YMMV, LSMFT, GBO.

Yeah, digging up and replacing the pool deck is not really in my interest. I'm actually resealing them today, then this weekend I'll try spraying with one of those products and get the perimeter good. If that doesn't work, I may have to sprinkle granules on it and just let them work for a few days before spraying it off.

I'm not clear on your thinking here. If the colonies are in the sand and pavers, wouldn't a "colony killer" product, like Fiprinil (Taurus SC), be better than digging up the pavers? In my experience, if you spray the Fiprinil on surfaces that the ants frequent, the entire colony is dead in several days. The spray is residual for months. As yet, we haven't had any reinfestations after a colony has been killed. Obviously, YMMV, LSMFT, GBO.
I think that’s what I said by “soaking”. If a colony is established under something solid, it works. Mounds you see in the yard are prone to move at the drop of a hat…or rain. Where did I say anything about “digging up the pavers”? Termiticide’s target pest is of course TERMITES. Termites need a stable surrounding and that’s why you see mud tunnels extend out of the ground onto a structure. It takes a long period of time for them to damage or destroy a home. The termiticide makes a barrier with that treated soil but it doesn’t work instantaneously. And you spray it on an ant? It keep on going on. Spraying stone ain’t doing jack. You’ve got to soak the soil housing the colony. If pouring a canister of Taurus on the paver and sand wets the colony? Then it’s treated. But you’re still going to see activity depending on the size of the colony.

Taurus SC Termiticide

Yep. My step son put me on that and one other chemical I'll have to go check. He mixes the two and keeps his yard sprayed. Prevents ticks and fleas on the dogs and he don't broke buying useless treatments. Also the only thing I've tried that kills bedbugs. Totally pet safe.

I think that’s what I said by “soaking”. If a colony is established under something solid, it works. Mounds you see in the yard are prone to move at the drop of a hat…or rain. Where did I say anything about “digging up the pavers”? Termiticide’s target pest is of course TERMITES. Termites need a stable surrounding and that’s why you see mud tunnels extend out of the ground onto a structure. It takes a long period of time for them to damage or destroy a home. The termiticide makes a barrier with that treated soil but it doesn’t work instantaneously. And you spray it on an ant? It keep on going on. Spraying stone ain’t doing jack. You’ve got to soak the soil housing the colony. If pouring a canister of Taurus on the paver and sand wets the colony? Then it’s treated. But you’re still going to see activity depending on the size of the colony.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Taurus doesn't kill anything immediately if you spray it directly on them, ants or termites.

For ants, you spray Taurus where the ants are walking. The spray dries. When the worker ants walk through the Taurus , they carry it back to the colony and spread it throughout the colony. It kills the whole colony, including the queen(s). You don't spray the ants, you spray where they walk. You definitely do not soak the soil. I've used it for years and, in my experience, its the only thing that actually kills the whole colony including the queen. Again, YMMV.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Taurus doesn't kill anything immediately if you spray it directly on them, ants or termites.

For ants, you spray Taurus where the ants are walking. The spray dries. When the worker ants walk through the Taurus , they carry it back to the colony and spread it throughout the colony. It kills the whole colony, including the queen(s). You don't spray the ants, you spray where they walk. You definitely do not soak the soil. I've used it for years and, in my experience, its the only thing that actually kills the whole colony including the queen. Again, YMMV.
I worked in pest control and we used Taurus as a perimeter treatment…to middling results. It doesn’t have any properties that would be taken back to the colony. It’s a termiticide that pales in comparison to Termidor. It doesn’t kill the queen…it makes the colony uninhabitable. Bait is what kills the queen. Amdro for fire ants. Sentricon for termites.

Reactions: zhangliao04
I worked in pest control and we used Taurus as a perimeter treatment…to middling results. It doesn’t have any properties that would be taken back to the colony. It’s a termiticide that pales in comparison to Termidor. It doesn’t kill the queen…it makes the colony uninhabitable. Bait is what kills the queen. Amdro for fire ants. Sentricon for termites.

This is just wrong. Taurus is just a generic for Termidor. They BOTH are 9.1% Fiprinil. They both will kill the entire ant colony, including the queen.

What is the difference between Taurus SC and Termidor SC?

Termidor SC vs Taurus SC Termiticide: Which is Better for You?

If you don't like Fiprinil, that's fine. Use whatever you want to use. My experience for years at two different homes, one in San Diego and one near Knoxville, is that Fiprinil completely eliminates ant colonies.

This is just wrong. Taurus is just a generic for Termidor. They BOTH are 9.1% Fiprinil. They both will kill the entire ant colony, including the queen.

What is the difference between Taurus SC and Termidor SC?

Termidor SC vs Taurus SC Termiticide: Which is Better for You?

If you don't like Fiprinil, that's fine. Use whatever you want to use. My experience for years at two different homes, one in San Diego and one near Knoxville, is that Fiprinil completely eliminates ant colonies.

As a professional, I used both. Taurus was generic and inferior. No company I worked for would sanction it's use for termite treatment. When we were using it as a perimeter treatment, were in between other more effective products. And once again, the chemical doesn't have the capacity to kill the queen. Using high pressure tank and slicing through an ant mound might pound it to death, but that's the extent of the science. You seem to be intimating a personal bias against your beloved agent on my part. That's bunk. I just remember what worked and didn't in my former career. Preach on...I'm done.

I didnt want to start a thread so maybe someone here will know.

What can I do to repell chipmunks? They are living under my deck and driving my beagle ape ****. Never seen him act so crazy. I dont really want to kill them just want them to make a home somewhere else. I figured after a few near death experiences at the hands of my beagle they would leave, but alas. Still here.

Reactions: VOLSONLY

What can I do to repell chipmunks? They are living under my deck and driving my beagle ape ****. Never seen him act so crazy. I dont really want to kill them just want them to make a home somewhere else. I figured after a few near death experiences at the hands of my beagle they would leave, but alas. Still here.
Get a snake

Reactions: VOLSONLY

Since you don’t want to kill them, you might try getting 2-3 rubber snakes. Placing them in and around the deck. My mother used them in her garden to keep rabbits away. Might be something you can try? May work on chipmunks or may not.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
Since you don’t want to kill them, you might try getting 2-3 rubber snakes. Placing them in and around the deck. My mother used them in her garden to keep rabbits away. Might be something you can try? May work on chipmunks or may not.
Red fox urine has varying success with squirrels…who are way more fearless than chipmunks.

VN Store

Back