Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was West Virginia supposed to be good or something? Pitt acting like they just upset the number one team in the country.
It was the renewal of an old bitter rivalry game (The Backyard Brawl) that had not been played for many years...hence the abnormally energetic crowd and team.

Also, I'm not too worried about the pass rush just based on that game. They were getting it out fairly quick and we weren't exactly dialing up exotic blitzes. Remains to be seen imo
I was at the game. Ball St's QB was getting the ball out very quick. Our D was putting pressure on him and even hitting him.

I was looking for it. I remember WVU in the Big East but I can't remember what conference Pitt used to play in

*I miss the old Big East basketball conference, especially their tournament. It was almost as good as the NCAA tournament.

Edit: Big East conference-
WVU left after the 2011 season
Pitt's last year was 2012
Pitt was so an independant for a long time.

I learned that #4 is still the same ole #4, and our DL still can not get heavy consistent pressure.

I honestly don't think the DL was as bad as the stats suggested. QB was hurried often, got hit hard at least once, and was resorting to quick throws. I credit BS more than fault us.

What nobody has much pointed out is that HH had all night to throw, don't think he was ever really hurried. OL was very good in pass protection.

No, but I noticed Joe turn up the field, drop his shoulder, and initiate contact on his long scramble. That was the most positive thing from him last night. We all know he has a cannon. If he is going to become a real threat (hopefully next year after Hooker wins the Heisman), defenses need to be scared of him keeping the ball and using his 245# frame to punish them.

I was happy to see him be more physical too. What was more impressive on that play though was why he scrambled in the first place. The CB jumped the hitch and blew the play up. If Milton threw that pass, it could have easily been a pick six. Milton read the CB and he did the smart thing by not making the throw and made something out of nothing. That play was just as impressive as his TD pass.

I learned that #4 is still the same ole #4, and our DL still can not get heavy consistent pressure.
its crazy, we have two heavily lauded frosh. and i didnt see one iota of qb being in danger of a sack, what I did see was blitzing every play.

Now, BY did redirect a couple times.

I for one enjoyed last night's beat down. I know some people are being critical of the lack of sacks, but I'll take TOs > Sacks every day and we generated 3.

Basically stopped running first team towards the end of the 2nd quarter. Saw a lot of players get to play, pretty sure every QB on roster got a snap as did every OL.

Big positives from the game for me.

Defense:
3 TOs, 2 TFL, 5 PD, & 7 QB hurries held Ball State to 343 total yard and 10 points, held them under 3 ypc rushing and didn't give up any points in 1st half when starters were playing

Aaron Beasley - 8 total tackles and 1 QB hurry, he was getting after the ball a lot faster than last year
Kamal Hadden - ended up with 3 tackles and 1 INT, he is a baller and I expect him to just get better as the season goes on

I'll also say Christian Charles and Warren Burrell had pretty solid games playing CB. Both ended up with 8 total tackles and neither got many penalties or gave any real big plays. I think Burrell gets left on an island more than any other CB on our team, so obviously the staff sees something in him. I just don't know if he's ever going to be a big time turnover creator. More like a CB who is going to be on your hip and (hopefully) makes the tackle.

Offense:
So much to like as a team 27/35 (77%) 351 passing yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs Milton had a great showing 8/9 for 113 and a TD and that throw to Holiday was perfection. Hooker came out a bit juiced and threw high early but calmed down he also made some great reads to get in the endzone with his legs

Bru McCoy = real deal
Ramel Keyton = could he be this year's Tillman? was happy to see him play so well and hope that's something he continues to do
Tillman = quiet night, but still lead the team in catches and yards
Holiday = FINALLY got to show off that speed, he looks so much more confident at WR this season
Hyatt = would have been a pretty impressive catch since an uncalled PI happened to disturb concentration but other than that "drop" he looked pretty good. Didn't get a ton of snaps, but got in the endzone
Dylan Sampson = dude is going to be something, that lone reception where he broke the guys ankles on the sideline was beautiful. He was also running behind the 2nd/3rd stringer OL...I think when he starts getting more snaps with 1st team you'll see him flash even more in the running game

Came out focused and ready to play, beat up an opponent we were supposed to, beat the spread, negligible injuries, and got playing time for the backups. I’ll take a stress free game all day, every day given the Hell we’ve been through lately.
arguably, coulda gotten the heralded freshmen more time. TJ and JWT only had one snappa piece.

All in all good win.

Top 25 of the ESPN FPI this morning - (we moved up to #12 from #24 before the game). I know it was Ball State but we'll probably be ranked in the AP top 25 this week. SP+ had us at #10 before the game but ESPN FPI was still factoring in our offenses under Pruitt. Last night FPI conceded we no longer have a Pruitt offense. jmo.

ScreenHunter 1005.png

Last edited:
Re watched highlights. Is TJ really that far down the list at QB? That's surprising.

Also, really no push at all on DL, did see we would have had a nice sack had Balls Tate not held during their TD.

Positives, Keyton and Hyatt have come along nicely. Oline played well. RB's looks good. Secondary is better than I thought.

But I think that defense will be a liability.

For those of you who directed me (and other GA residents) to Bovada, thanks!

I got a 50% deposit bonus, so I used that on the first quarter spread and made about $0.88 for each dollar I bet! I've never done anything like that before, so I'm waiting on the feds to show up at my door and haul me off to jail!

Great game last night. As for Pitt, I'm not sure where I am on this spectrum, but I'm somewhere between "Holy sh!t their defense looked nasty" and "WVU scored 38 on them".

Last edited:
I honestly don't think the DL was as bad as the stats suggested. QB was hurried often, got hit hard at least once, and was resorting to quick throws. I credit BS more than fault us.

What nobody has much pointed out is that HH had all night to throw, don't think he was ever really hurried. OL was very good in pass protection.
I'm not going off of stats. I am going by what I saw.

Yes..we got occasional pressure, but we did not get consistent heavy pressure. There were way too many stalemates at the LoS.

I will say that Banks made it really easy on their blockers by not causing any confusion whatsoever with blitzing...which I think was a wise move considering the opponent next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back