WNBA discussion thread?

That was a heckuva Game One between Seattle and Las Vegas. I enjoyed seeing both teams coming through with some great shooting, and both teams were going hard. Great fun!

Was such a fun game. Looks like it’ll be an exciting 5 game series especially with Seattle stealing one on the road. I wasn’t sure if they could do so without Gabby Williams, who is such a great defender for them.

Candace Parker is the best basketball player I have ever seen. Her game tonight was unbelievable. She does everything. She scores, up close and far away, she’s tall, but can dribble like someone short, she distributes the ball like a point guard, she assists, rebounds, blocks, steals, initiates breakaways, sees her teammate under the basket and gets her the ball, she outsmarts and outthinks her opponent, and then, she and Vandersloot lead the team in the huddle. She’s smooth in all she does.

Last I saw, Candace scored 19 points, with 18 rebounds, and filled all the rest of the stats as well. She set another record tonight. I believe she is 36 years old, and played every minute of the second half, not sure how much she played in the first half, but she never let up.

Her team missed a lot of shots under the basket tonight and came up short, but nothing will ever change my perception of Candace Parker. Tonight, it was just a privilege to watch her play, to see her all out excellence on the court.

To me, she is, and will always be, by far, the Greatest Of All Time. The fact that she played for Tennessee, and strongly supports her alma mater, is just wonderful.

Candace Parker is the best basketball player I have ever seen. Her game tonight was unbelievable. She does everything. She scores, up close and far away, she’s tall, but can dribble like someone short, she distributes the ball like a point guard, she assists, rebounds, blocks, steals, initiates breakaways, sees her teammate under the basket and gets her the ball, she outsmarts and outthinks her opponent, and then, she and Vandersloot lead the team in the huddle. She’s smooth in all she does.

Last I saw, Candace scored 19 points, with 18 rebounds, and filled all the rest of the stats as well. She set another record tonight. I believe she is 36 years old, and played every minute of the second half, not sure how much she played in the first half, but she never let up.

Her team missed a lot of shots under the basket tonight and came up short, but nothing will ever change my perception of Candace Parker. Tonight, it was just a privilege to watch her play, to see her all out excellence on the court.

To me, she is, and will always be, by far, the Greatest Of All Time. The fact that she played for Tennessee, and strongly supports her alma mater, is just wonderful.

It really did feel like a privilege to see that, didn't it? I have to admit I got choked up at the end when they came up short after Parker had left everything out on that floor like she did. Unfortunately her teammates didn't have it tonight. It happens, but dang! That was a loss I'll never forget, and so I can't imagine how the Sky must feel.

It really did feel like a privilege to see that, didn't it? I have to admit I got choked up at the end when they came up short after Parker had left everything out on that floor like she did. Unfortunately her teammates didn't have it tonight. It happens, but dang! That was a loss I'll never forget, and so I can't imagine how the Sky must feel.

The physicality and swarming pressure seemed to get in the Sky's heads, except for the great CP3. They missed a lot of easy shots. I hate that they wasted such a monster game but I think the Vandersloot, Quigley, Copper, and Stevenson will all adjust, I can see the Sky taking 3 in a row.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

For me, it isn’t the loss I’ll never forget, it is Candace’s play I’ll never forget.

For me, it isn’t the loss I’ll never forget, it is Candace’s play I’ll never forget.

Of course. But then I just kept thinking how I've seen her play several unforgettable games at the level she played tonight, but never one that ended in such a truly heart-wrenching Game One playoff loss in front of a home crowd that Candace had believing was going to be a win. I've mentioned before that in a game like that I'd almost rather lose by 10 than see it slip away in the final minute or less. It's too emotionally and physically deflating.

Everyone on the Sky squad not named Candace Parker had better do a much better job on Wednesday, because it's unlikely even the great Candace Parker could pull off having two record-breaking performances in a row. She may be so spent from Game One that they'll be lucky to have even half of her production next game. I was already worried before. Now I'm seriously worried.

The physicality and swarming pressure seemed to get in the Sky's heads, except for the great CP3. They missed a lot of easy shots. I hate that they wasted such a monster game but I think the Vandersloot, Quigley, Copper, and Stevenson will all adjust, I can see the Sky taking 3 in a row.
I think they just didn’t have it. They’ve played this team now 5 times this season. Nothing changed about what Connecticut did, the Sky team just didn’t play well enough to win the game. Parker needed help on the glass and didn’t receive it.

Anyone watching the WNBA tonight and who is a Candace Parker hater is probably feeling like they are in Hell.

I don't think there are that many CP3 haters, outside of the Uconn orbit. Excellent game from the Sky. I expected Vandersloot would adjust to the Sun's pressure. Glad that Candace did not have to do everything last night.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't think there are that many CP3 haters, outside of the Uconn orbit. Excellent game from the Sky. I expected Vandersloot would adjust to the Sun's pressure. Glad that Candace did not have to do everything last night.

I would say the disrespect extends beyond the UConn orbit. In 2019, she was voted most overrated by her WNBA counterparts. In 2020 when she received DPOY, she wasn't included on either of the All-Defensive teams. In the player votes for all-star weekend this season, I want to say she was voted as the 13th best player at her position. (We all know that's insane.) However, she was voted third overall in the fan vote.

I would say the disrespect extends beyond the UConn orbit. In 2019, she was voted most overrated by her WNBA counterparts. In 2020 when she received DPOY, she wasn't included on either of the All-Defensive teams. In the player votes for all-star weekend this season, I want to say she was voted as the 13th best player at her position. (We all know that's insane.) However, she was voted third overall in the fan vote.

I see it now. Thanks. At least she made the All wnba first team this year. She may get the Serena treatment where the appreciation finally comes as her career winds down.

I CP3 comes back next year, She seems to have suggested that she will but a lot may depend on whether the Sky can keep a competitive core group, after the coming free agency scramble.

I see it now. Thanks. At least she made the All wnba first team this year. She may get the Serena treatment where the appreciation finally comes as her career winds down.

I CP3 comes back next year, She seems to have suggested that she will but a lot may depend on whether the Sky can keep a competitive core group, after the coming free agency scramble.

It would be great to be able to watch her play another 2-3 years. If the Sky repeat, I could see her retiring after the season. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

It surprised me when I thought I heard last night that Sloot had gone to James Wade after the last game to ask him for some coaching during the games. Did I hear that right? Whatever it was it worked because she made a complete turnaround in Game 2,

It reminded me, sadly, of that time Shekinna Stricklen was quoted as saying she wished Pat would yell at her. She was obviously disappointed Pat wasn’t the hard-ass she used to be.

I have always thought she simply wasn’t as well liked as most of the other superstars. There’s probably some jealousy mixed in there, too.

I will say I’ve also always thought of Candace as someone whose true personality — the one she fights constantly to hide — is that of someone who would probably rather just be left alone.

Yes, she talks to her teammates. Yes, one of her jobs is being a TV commentator. But what I have always seen in her, starting in high school, was a person who is actually naturally reserved. She’s not gregarious, or hilarious, or extremely friendly. She’s smart and sincere and focused.

And on top of never having had the personality type to easily charm others into falling in love with her, she became a mother at an early age, which meant she HAD to be less of a “life of the party” kinda woman from the start of her career. So a naturally more serious, less gregarious person had to become MOREso since she had a child to worry about.

I suspect the “most overrated” vote hurt Candace. I know it hurt ME. 😢

I have always thought she simply wasn’t as well liked as most of the other superstars. There’s probably some jealousy mixed in there, too.

I will say I’ve also always thought of Candace as someone whose true personality — the one she fights constantly to hide — is that of someone who would probably rather just be left alone.

Yes, she talks to her teammates. Yes, one of her jobs is being a TV commentator. But what I have always seen in her, starting in high school, was a person who is actually naturally reserved. She’s not gregarious, or hilarious, or extremely friendly. She’s smart and sincere and focused.

And on top of never having had the personality type to easily charm others into falling in love with her, she became a mother at an early age, which meant she HAD to be less of a “life of the party” kinda woman from the start of her career. So a naturally more serious, less gregarious person had to become MOREso since she had a child to worry about.

I want to correct you my fellow poster its not probably some jealousy its no doubt some jealousy with some of the players and when she got the NBA job oh my goodness that brought more haters in the mix

I want to correct you my fellow poster its not probably some jealousy its no doubt some jealousy with some of the players and when she got the NBA job oh my goodness that brought more haters in the mix

I'm sure you are right about that. Unfortunately. But it still all comes around to either being liked or disliked. I won't mention any names, but there are certain women in the league who are kinda dumb but who are superstars. They'd probably cheat a child in a game of checkers, but are gregarious and irreverent and considered great fun to hang with.

Party players like those are like guzzling Ripple. Candace Parker is like savoring a Hardy Le Printemps Lalique Cognac Grande Champagne.

Last edited:
I'm sure you are right about that. Unfortunately. But it still all comes around to either being liked or disliked. I won't mention any names, but there are certain women in the league who are kinda dumb but who are superstars. They'd probably cheat a child in a game of checkers, but are gregarious and irreverent and considered great fun to hang with.

Party players like those are like guzzling Ripple. Candace Parker is like savoring a Hardy Le Printemps Lalique Cognac Grande Champagne.
A good example Chiney Ogwumike is at ESPN and she gets praised i look at a lot of WNBA boards and she doesnt get any negativity like CP does and i dont want her too either but the point is CP shouldn't get it but the majority of the posts i read is negative and there is no reason at all for it.

A good example Chiney Ogwumike is at ESPN and she gets praised i look at a lot of WNBA boards and she doesnt get any negativity like CP does and i dont want her too either but the point is CP shouldn't get it but the majority of the posts i read is negative and there is no reason at all for it.

Chiney gets tons of hate from people who believe she shouldn’t be in the league and should ride off into the ESPN sunset. Bad example.

A better one would be maybe Stef Dolson…

Chiney gets tons of hate from people who believe she shouldn’t be in the league and should ride off into the ESPN sunset. Bad example.

Chiney gets the negativity as a player but not as the person CP gets the negativity as being a fake person they feel like orputunities are just handed to her

It surprised me when I thought I heard last night that Sloot had gone to James Wade after the last game to ask him for some coaching during the games. Did I hear that right? Whatever it was it worked because she made a complete turnaround in Game 2,

It reminded me, sadly, of that time Shekinna Stricklen was quoted as saying she wished Pat would yell at her. She was obviously disappointed Pat wasn’t the hard-ass she used to be.

yes, that is what the announcers said- she wanted Wade to be more vocal about staying aggressive and letting her know what she needed to do.

It confirmed my view of game 1 where I said she let the Sun's pressure get to her. Surprising for an experienced and quality player, but she still has human vulnerabilities. I am confident that the Sky will advance but Vegas (who I think are going to take that series) looks formidable.

Reactions: lvocd

A lot of this makes sense. I forget how young she was when she became a mom.

If you go by the most objective data (stats, championships etc) she's right there with DT who is mentioned as the GOAT. And Parker is doing it as a Point Forward or whatever positional name you want to give her. Take a look at these numbers and mind you Parker's played 100 less games

WNBA Player Comparison: Diana Taurasi vs. Candace Parker | Stathead.com

I like Dolson, but strangely enough, she actually put on enough weight DURING this season that she was noticeably slower toward the end. Not that she has ever been quick, but it was bizarre that she appeared to me to have slowed down a little more. Made me wonder if she's stress eating.

She has enjoyed a good career, though. She gets after it.

Those are good observations. I definitely agree there's some jealousy among her peers. To me, CP3 appears to be someone who isn't afraid to speak her mind. She's clearly a leader. And very sharp. Doesn't seem to be afraid to ask difficult questions. She excels at everything she does and owns whatever room she's in. She knows who she is. When you embody those characteristics, that's gonna bring up jealousy in those that haven't faced their own insecurities. I think that's part of reason her and Geno didn't get along when they worked together in her USA basketball days.

VN Store

Back