‘23 LA CB Jordan Matthews (Tennessee)

By saying that it should stay on topic, Jordan Matthews' commitment, I'm taking it off topic. Nobody else is doing that. Just me. Right?
I’ll wade into this mess. The original poster was just bringing up a recruit we were in for that time and described the circumstances to jog people’s memory of who he was talking about. I get what you were saying in that we are celebrating a pickup, but he wasn’t trying to bring up that tragedy to down a celebratory moment in a recruits thread. He was just trying to jog old memories. If this helps 🤷‍♀️.

Then there is Matthews who left Tennessee in June feeling like Knoxville was home for him. He spent much of July feeling the same way and took the trip to Texas at the end of the month to validate that feeling. He returned home to Baton Rouge where he informed his parents his heart was in Knoxville as the family had already signed off on the Vols. The family and Jordan built such a strong bond with Willie Martinez and they also spoke often with other commitments like Cristian Conyer and his family.
-VQ

I don't know the whole solution there. The demographic divisions of the state do not help. Memphis is 387 miles from K'ville... 223 to Tuscaloosa... 381 to Baton Rouge... 319 to U of Arkansas... 170 to Starkville... 74 to Ole Miss... 343 to Auburn... It is like recruiting another state.

Nashville is closer but much of the growth is from people moving in who aren't UT fans.

I don't think this will improve to the level we would like to see until UT starts winning. That will win fans and help with homer recruiting.

I wish Heupel had been gifted a legacy class like Jones was. He would know what to do with it.

I'm glad that he hasn't been gifted with a legacy class of kids who feel entitled to their spot at UT. It was the instate guys who were not legacies or were lower rated who performed anyway....Barnett, Malone, Sutton, JJ, etc.

I like that Heupel gets to build the culture he wants with the type of athletes and high character kids he wants and is getting them from all over. I get a big vibe that everyone we land is someone who really wants to be here and build something special with other like-minded kids who have bought in to the idea of coming together to build a contender instead of going the easier route of the established, elite programs.

We have a strong enough in state group mixed with lots of really good regional guys and several national guys and almost every commit we have had offers to high level programs or has measurables that make them stand out from similarly ranked guys. Plenty of blue chip recruits and lower rated kids with speed and character. I don't see us having an attrition problem and we are racking up at QB, Edge and CB. Get a couple more OL, DT and ILB and we will have a very complete class. Much more well rounded group than Butch's legacy class that had a bunch of busts.

Over. Too much positive momentum for LSU to come back from and we will be able to match any NIL offer. He is our best DB commit and one of the top overall recruits on our board. Early playing time is also available. Would take us taking a significant step backwards on the field to lose him, IMO.....and I just don't see us winning less than 7 regular season games. Pair him and Conyer on the outside with Gibson being in the 2 deep and able to play star along with the multiple high level safety recruits we have plus Turrentine, Christian Charles and Tamarrion McDonald and we are going to have the best overall secondary we have seen in 15 years.

Add 4 legit elite Edge rushers to put pressure on QB's (Bradley, Herring, Joseph's and Pearce) and we will be very difficult on passing downs. Need a few more players at DT who can stop the run and push the middle of the pocket to create 1 on 1's with our Edge guys and we will be elite on D. Tyre West should develop nicely there....add Duncan if he stays at DL and 1 more recruit plus a Juco and Garner developing somebody already on the roster. I'm qlready happy with our LB's committed as they are intelligent, physical and can play in space but would love to add an elite HS LB commit or a multi year guy from the portal. Elijah Herring should also be a very good player as well.

We used to be known for our overall team speed and we are finally going to have that advantage again along with being physical.

We have completely flipped our defensive roster in 2 cycles. We might struggle some in 2023 but by 2024 we will potentially have a top 15-25 defense to go along with a top 10 offense. That's how you win championships.

Over. Too much positive momentum for LSU to come back from and we will be able to match any NIL offer. He is our best DB commit and one of the top overall recruits on our board. Early playing time is also available. Would take us taking a significant step backwards on the field to lose him, IMO.....and I just don't see us winning less than 7 regular season games. Pair him and Conyer on the outside with Gibson being in the 2 deep and able to play star along with the multiple high level safety recruits we have plus Turrentine, Christian Charles and Tamarrion McDonald and we are going to have the best overall secondary we have seen in 15 years.

Add 4 legit elite Edge rushers to put pressure on QB's (Bradley, Herring, Joseph's and Pearce) and we will be very difficult on passing downs. Need a few more players at DT who can stop the run and push the middle of the pocket to create 1 on 1's with our Edge guys and we will be elite on D. Tyre West should develop nicely there....add Duncan if he stays at DL and 1 more recruit plus a Juco and Garner developing somebody already on the roster. I'm qlready happy with our LB's committed as they are intelligent, physical and can play in space but would love to add an elite HS LB commit or a multi year guy from the portal. Elijah Herring should also be a very good player as well.

We used to be known for our overall team speed and we are finally going to have that advantage again along with being physical.

We have completely flipped our defensive roster in 2 cycles. We might struggle some in 2023 but by 2024 we will potentially have a top 15-25 defense to go along with a top 10 offense. That's how you win championships.
i like your thinking

3E4D9C13-BE2C-4542-8612-2EE14291DC98.gif

I'm glad that he hasn't been gifted with a legacy class of kids who feel entitled to their spot at UT. It was the instate guys who were not legacies or were lower rated who performed anyway....Barnett, Malone, Sutton, JJ, etc.
Barnett, Malone, and Jennings were all rated 4*. I blame Jones for what happened with Hurd. At the end, Hurd's actions looked bad but NO competent leader lets a situation get to that point. He went from a die hard homer Vol... the kind you want and UGA gets every year to someone who couldn't get away fast enough. That is a failure of leadership and management of players. In fact, you can blame Jones for the failures of several players. Wharton became a very good WR for Cal. Dewayne Hendrix who apparently couldn't tolerate Jones' coaching style moved on to Pitt and then the NFL. Daniel Helm transferred to Duke and then got drafted.

This is part of why I think Jones in spite of a couple of good years was the worst coach UT has had after Fulmer. The others failed without much talent to work with... he failed with embarrassing amounts of talent even after you subtract the guys who left because his "culture" was toxic.

I like that Heupel gets to build the culture he wants with the type of athletes and high character kids he wants and is getting them from all over. I get a big vibe that everyone we land is someone who really wants to be here and build something special with other like-minded kids who have bought in to the idea of coming together to build a contender instead of going the easier route of the established, elite programs.
I don't think the culture under Jones was due to players- legacy or otherwise. He was a used car salesman who thought he was a football innovator and somehow mistook clichés for leadership.

The one thing I like best about Heupel is his apparent leadership and genuine love for his players.

We have a strong enough in state group mixed with lots of really good regional guys and several national guys and almost every commit we have had offers to high level programs or has measurables that make them stand out from similarly ranked guys. Plenty of blue chip recruits and lower rated kids with speed and character. I don't see us having an attrition problem and we are racking up at QB, Edge and CB. Get a couple more OL, DT and ILB and we will have a very complete class. Much more well rounded group than Butch's legacy class that had a bunch of busts.
There were some pretty "lively" conversations around here over attrition and injuries. I was in a minority arguing that attrition and high injury rates were both a function of coaching decisions and philosophy that ultimately come back to the HC. Many still wanted to believe that Jones was the right guy who just needed more time.

As you go down the list, there weren't many outright busts and definitely not an unusual number. There are always guys who do not live up to the hype but that was a very talented class by any measure. I was amazed at the number that actually spent some time with an NFL club- Malone, Hurd, Hendrix, Helm, Barnett, Berry, Wolf, Gaulden, Johnson, and Moseley. One third isn't bad. About 2/3 were starters or significant contributors for UT or another high level program.

You're right and neither was Tennessee football. Many moons ago we co-existed with the mighty Golden Dome empire in South Bend and eventually had a famous General named Knee-land who lead his band of Volunteers and turned the city-state of Knoxville into the first Southern Empire by winning five national championships between the 1930s and 1951. We then saw the rise of the Inbred Barbarian empire in Tuscaloosa who worshipped the Bear God and took our place as the mightiest empire in the South after our General Knee-land becane old and retired. He was replaced by a drunken son of Battle who had Inbred Barbarian blood and lost many battles and weakened our empire along with a two-faced Dickey.

The Bear God of the Inbred Barbarians reigned many years until he got old and weakened and was replaced by one of his generals who kept their empire from Stalling until the early 90s. Two powers dominated the South in the 90's, one old and one new. We began worshipping The Great Pumpkin after he overthrew his predecessor, Johnny The Drunk and the previously weak Mullet Jort Nation worshipped The Mouthy Visor. Many battles were fought and eventually we were both weakened and raided by other tribes like The Corndog Kingdom and the Corrupt Plainsmen who were close but hated kin to the Inbred Barbarians. The Mullet Jort Nation had a new leader emerge named The Liar Criar who became known as The Cardiac Coward when he ran to the Land Of Poisonous Nuts after winning many victories but being afraid of the Inbred Barbarian's new leader who was the former ruler of The Corndog Kingdom. Lil Nicky known as Satan The Screamer flooded the land with chargers and bought the loyalty of the Commissioner Gods Slive and Skankey so that he could build the greatest empire of all.

Lil Nicky sent his minions forth to infiltrate many neighboring kingdoms to sabotage them from within. Beldar Cornbread was successful in his mission by tricking The Great Pumpkin who was still bitter about being deposed. Finally our elders had Beldar Cornbread's pack of incompetent cheaters thrown out of the kingdom and The Great Pumpkin left in shame. One of Lil Nicky's minions named Bowl The Cut betrayed him and lead an uprising of The Stinking Dog Clan who had been weak and irrelevant for many years, especially under their previous pacifist leader St. Mark The Richtus. We finally brought new leaders in from many leagues to the South. Danny The White and his trusted battle chief Hype-El (no relation to Cal-El) have shown promise in battle and in recruiting warriors to their lightning quick style of attacking. It remains to be seen what will transpire but few foes can handle the speed of our attacks and many defenders drop where they are standing in hopes of buying time for reserve warriors to come to the battle in their place. The tactic has had some success but is not a sound long term strategy and brings great shame to the defenders. Kiffin The Troll who was once our leader has employed this strategy more than any other.

So....no, Rome wasn't built in a day but empires are ever evolving.

I'm out of work sick and have way too much time on my hands, lol.

Barnett, Malone, and Jennings were all rated 4*. I blame Jones for what happened with Hurd. At the end, Hurd's actions looked bad but NO competent leader lets a situation get to that point. He went from a die hard homer Vol... the kind you want and UGA gets every year to someone who couldn't get away fast enough. That is a failure of leadership and management of players. In fact, you can blame Jones for the failures of several players. Wharton became a very good WR for Cal. Dewayne Hendrix who apparently couldn't tolerate Jones' coaching style moved on to Pitt and then the NFL. Daniel Helm transferred to Duke and then got drafted.

This is part of why I think Jones in spite of a couple of good years was the worst coach UT has had after Fulmer. The others failed without much talent to work with... he failed with embarrassing amounts of talent even after you subtract the guys who left because his "culture" was toxic.

I don't think the culture under Jones was due to players- legacy or otherwise. He was a used car salesman who thought he was a football innovator and somehow mistook clichés for leadership.

The one thing I like best about Heupel is his apparent leadership and genuine love for his players.

There were some pretty "lively" conversations around here over attrition and injuries. I was in a minority arguing that attrition and high injury rates were both a function of coaching decisions and philosophy that ultimately come back to the HC. Many still wanted to believe that Jones was the right guy who just needed more time.

As you go down the list, there weren't many outright busts and definitely not an unusual number. There are always guys who do not live up to the hype but that was a very talented class by any measure. I was amazed at the number that actually spent some time with an NFL club- Malone, Hurd, Hendrix, Helm, Barnett, Berry, Wolf, Gaulden, Johnson, and Moseley. One third isn't bad. About 2/3 were starters or significant contributors for UT or another high level program.

You have a lot of very good points, as usual. And I do remember Malone being a highly ranked WR but for some reason I remembered Barnett as not being as highly sought after. Maybe because McKenzie and Tuttle were 5 star level guys. I still feel like quite a few of our highest rated commits didn't produce to the level expected....obviously Tuttle was due to a dirty play and recurring injuries.

You can't completely control injuries and sometimes they are just bad luck but I'm of the belief that good coaches and good programs make their own luck. Heupel has has had some guys who have stayed banged up like Small, both Mays brothers, Whitehead, Bumphus and our entire secondary in the spring but all of those guys, except for Whitehead this year and Bumphus last year, have been either able to play through being hurt or come back from their injuries fairly quickly. He seems to put a lot of emphasis on conditioning and functional strength and that will help us keep guys healthy. Honestly, there's not much I don't like about his approach to coaching.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back