Out of Conference Schedule Released

Have whatever opinion you want, didn’t realize you weren’t ok with people correcting you on it though when it’s wrong…go ahead and tell us the earth is flat if you’d like I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️. I really wasn’t trying to be a dick, you just wanted to respect the hell out of Cal for seemingly doing the exact same thing you were just complaining about.

It’s not just that you pointed out I was wrong about Cal. It’s just that you are argumentative about literally everything on this board. My original statement was something as simple as “I would like to see more Tennessee home games of high quality” and you had to immediately point out that fans need to essentially get over it and that the AD knows what is best for the program.

You were right about the Cal thing, of which I did not know about, so I’m sure that made you happy and I stand corrected on that line of reasoning, but it is just exhausting to always have every single detail picked at and corrected and analyzed under a microscope.

You’re correct. My statement about Cal was wrong and contradicted my “argument” as you said, but I’m not even trying to argue or debate you. I’d honestly rather not debate. It was simply an opinion about wanting more games in Thompson-Boling Arena. There is nothing to debate about that it’s just simply a personal preference.

Have whatever opinion you want, didn’t realize you weren’t ok with people correcting you on it though when it’s wrong…go ahead and tell us the earth is flat if you’d like I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️. I really wasn’t trying to be a dick, you just wanted to respect the hell out of Cal for seemingly doing the exact same thing you were just complaining about.
Truthfully, you're always trying to be one, or at the very least, trying to be argumentative and confrontational. You then try to masquerade the idea that you weren't trying to be a jerk, but the intention is always to put people in their place and establish doctrinal dominance.

I’m sorry for starting another back and forth here. I really wasn’t trying to do so. The only point I was trying to make is I like true homes games, and whether or not other programs are doing it or not should probably be moot just because I like to see better games even if it makes our schedule harder.

Reactions: walkenvol
It’s not just that you pointed out I was wrong about Cal. It’s just that you are argumentative about literally everything on this board. My original statement was something as simple as “I would like to see more Tennessee home games of high quality” and you had to immediately point out that fans need to essentially get over it and that the AD knows what is best for the program.
So you can share your opinion, but I can’t share mine? As evidenced by the list of teams I provided Tennessee has a better home slate than many/most other P5 teams, so yea, in my opinion fans should quit complaining about it and be happy that it’s as good as it is.

You were right about the Cal thing, of which I did not know about, so I’m sure that made you happy and I stand corrected on that line of reasoning, but it is just exhausting to always have every single detail picked at and corrected and analyzed under a microscope.

You’re correct. My statement about Cal was wrong and contradicted my “argument” as you said, but I’m not even trying to argue or debate you. I’d honestly rather not debate. It was simply an opinion about wanting more games in Thompson-Boling Arena. There is nothing to debate about that it’s just simply a personal preference.

And I was just pointing out hailing Cal made no sense given your opinion on the matter. If you want more marquee home games cool, I get it, but I don’t think the AD/Barnes deserve criticism for that as some were handing out as we still get one of the better home schedules in the country.

Truthfully, you're always trying to be one, or at the very least, trying to be argumentative and confrontational. You then try to masquerade the idea that you weren't trying to be a jerk, but the intention is always to put people in their place and establish doctrinal dominance.
Not at all, unfortunately there’s a lot of patsies out there and unless you coddle them while speaking to them they think they’re being attacked.

I’m sorry for starting another back and forth here. I really wasn’t trying to do so. The only point I was trying to make is I like true homes games, and whether or not other programs are doing it or not should probably be moot just because I like to see better games even if it makes our schedule harder.
And I don’t disagree, I would love 15 home games against Top 15 teams and 15 road games against Top 15 teams, it would make for a must see game each and every single night. But realistically between money of neutral/road games and then needing to also build a NCAAT resume with new NET formula that just isn’t really best strategy.

I get that a lot of this scheduling is done with NET and Tennessee's postseason aspirations in mind, but it doesn't change the objective fact that Tennessee has a really uninspiring home schedule prior to SEC play. Other schools might also have few marquee non-conference opponents, but very few of them have ~22k tickets to sell for each game either. As someone who doesn't live in the area, there's nothing to get me excited enough to come down to Knoxville prior to the conference slate being announced at which point I can try to figure out what five-day window gives the two best games at TBA.

And that should have been the end of it, really.

Just because other teams don't schedule better home OOC slates doesn't mean Tennessee fans (especially Tennessee season-ticket holders) can't hope for Tennessee to do better. And that doesnt mean fans expect us to feature a slate consisting solely of Duke, Indiana, Gonzaga, Villanova. Trying to say something like, "Well, UNC...or any other school...has a worse schedule" as an excuse is akin to the old, "If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it?" adage. Other teams' scheduling practicew doesn't mean Tennessee fans can't be disappointed in the schedule they pay good money to go see.

If I had season tickets to Regal Cinemas, and had a lineup of Charlie Chaplin silent films and Hallmark movies to choose from, I wouldn't be consoled by the idea and excuse that the AMC theater down the street is only showing crappy movies, too.

Not at all, unfortunately there’s a lot of patsies out there and unless you coddle them while speaking to them they think they’re being attacked.

This is funny. No one is asking to be coddled.

You’re also not just “sharing an opinion” as you said in your post above. You’re actively telling people it is wrong to believe our home schedule isn’t good and they are wrong to want a better home schedule. Strength of schedule is all relative and people view these things differently. Just cause I believe our home schedule is soft doesn’t make it wrong.

I'd love if someone polled the audience, here, about your discussion habits/tactics. The fact that you don't even see yours as combative and argumentative is alarming and at the same time, not at all surprising.

Reactions: walkenvol

Just because other teams don't schedule better home OOC slates doesn't mean Tennessee fans (especially Tennessee season-ticket holders) can't hope for Tennessee to do better. And that doesnt mean fans expect us to feature a slate consisting solely of Duke, Indiana, Gonzaga, Villanova. Trying to say something like, "Well, UNC...or any other school...has a worse schedule" as an excuse is akin to the old, "If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it?" adage. Other teams' scheduling practicew doesn't mean Tennessee fans can't be disappointed in the schedule they pay good money to go see.

If I had season tickets to Regal Cinemas, and had a lineup of Charlie Chaplin silent films and Hallmark movies to choose from, I wouldn't be consoled by the idea and excuse that the AMC theater down the street is only showing crappy movies, too.

I would be completely fine with even scheduling weaker P5 teams. Even if Tennessee Tech could theoretically beat NC State (who was 11-21 last year) I’d probably rather see a very weak ACC team come to Knoxville just for the sake of mixing it up. I’d rather watch us play bad P5 teams than bad mid-majors if there is a choice.

It’s not a select few teams we are saying well so and so does it, I literally listed every team that Rothstein has posted a schedule for so far, and ours would be right at the top. Absolutely it could be better, but maybe there’s a reason if hardly any legit P5 team have multiple marquee home games.

This is funny. No one is asking to be coddled.

You’re also not just “sharing an opinion” as you said in your post above. You’re actively telling people it is wrong to believe our home schedule isn’t good and they are wrong to want a better home schedule. Strength of schedule is all relative and people view these things differently. Just cause I believe our home schedule is soft doesn’t make it wrong.
To find the answer to that question we would compare it to other like teams, and when doing so it is better than most…

I would be completely fine with even scheduling weaker P5 teams. Even if Tennessee Tech could theoretically beat NC State (who was 11-21 last year) I’d probably rather see a very weak ACC team come to Knoxville just for the sake of mixing it up. I’d rather watch us play bad P5 teams than bad mid-majors if there is a choice.
So go against what helps actually improve the SOS, thus NET ranking, thus NCAAT seeding? That’s an interesting take.

To find the answer to that question we would compare it to other like teams, and when doing so it is better than most…

I didn’t ask a question. I said “I think the home schedule is soft.” It’s not a question. It’s literally just my opinion. So there is no need to try and find an answer to it.

I didn’t ask a question. I said “I think the home schedule is soft.” It’s not a question. It’s literally just my opinion. So there is no need to try and find an answer to it.
Ok statement/opinion…if only questions can be replied to and not opinions or statements this would become a pretty boring message board and about 90% of posts wouldn’t exist. But got it, you want to share your thoughts/opinions and then be taken as fact, without any replies or question in return.

Jon Rothstein has posted a bunch of OOC schedules on his Twitter feed, so just looking at it and number of OOC home games against P5…

Baylor 1 (Arkansas), Penn State 0, UCLA 0, Florida State 2 (Florida & Purdue), Colorado 0, Boston College 0, Wake Forest 1 (Georgia), Houston 1 (Alabama), Minnesota 1 (Mississippi State), UCONN 0, Virginia Tech 1 (Minnesota), Illinois 1 (Syracuse), Washington 1 (Auburn), NC State 0, Texas A&M 1 (Oregon State), Northerstern 1 (Pittsburgh), Marquette 1 (Baylor), Duke 1 (Ohio State), Kansas State 1 (Florida), TCU 1 (Providence), North Carolina 0, Ole Miss 1 (UCF), Florida 1 (UCONN), Purdue 1 (Marquette), Indiana 1 (North Carolina), Ohio State 0, Kansas 2 (Indiana & Seton Hall)

So Tennessee has more P5 home games than a lot of schools, and a much better single P5 home game than a bunch of schools as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for the sport. Just proves that neutral site games are becoming the norm which is ****. Football is doing the same garbage. It’s all driven by money and the ranking systems that value neutral site games more than home games. There is no debating this is a ****** home non conference schedule. Just because everyone else is playing crap too doesn’t mean it isnt still crap

Reactions: cncchris33
So go against what helps actually improve the SOS, thus NET ranking, thus NCAAT seeding? That’s an interesting take.

No, not at all. I was agreeing with Chris’s assessment that it is probably unrealistic to bring Duke and North Carolina to Knoxville each year. But, obviously I would prefer to see us bring the most quality P5 opponents. If we could bring Arizona, Gonzaga, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. then I would say do that. But, as you pointed out that probably is not going to happen ever.

So, if that is not actually possible to do, then yes my “interesting” take is I’d rather spend my money on watching us play a team from a P5 conference that is a bit weaker than paying to see Tennessee Tech for the 1,000th time. Seems like a pretty logical and reasonable way to look at things.

This doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for the sport. Just proves that neutral site games are becoming the norm which is ****. Football is doing the same garbage. It’s all driven by money and the ranking systems that value neutral site games more than home games. There is no debating this is a ****** home non conference schedule. Just because everyone else is playing crap too doesn’t mean it isnt still crap
I’ve explained why it’s being done, and it’s not just money, but absolutely that is a factor as it always is. If everyone pretty much around the country is doing it then it probably means there’s good reason for it and what most AD’s & coaches feel is best for their programs.

Honest question…do people complain about the home football schedule, or mostly just accept it and look forward to SEC play?

No, not at all. I was agreeing with Chris’s assessment that it is probably unrealistic to bring Duke and North Carolina to Knoxville each year. But, obviously I would prefer to see us bring the most quality P5 opponents. If we could bring Arizona, Gonzaga, Duke, North Carolina, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. then I would say do that. But, as you pointed out that probably is not going to happen ever.

So, if that is not actually possible to do, then yes my “interesting” take is I’d rather spend my money on watching us play a team from a P5 conference that is a bit weaker than paying to see Tennessee Tech for the 1,000th time. Seems like a pretty logical and reasonable way to look at things.
Which 100% would negatively impact NET ranking, and thus NCAAT seeding, that was my point.

Honest question…do people complain about the home football schedule, or mostly just accept it and look forward to SEC play?
I do. **** playing West Virginia and Syracuse in neutral site games. If I were czar of football we’d have 9 sec games, 1 power 5 opponent home and home and 2 buy games. All three nonconference games have to be played in the first three weeks. This is another conversation but football has the same problem with their nonconference schedules

I’m fairly consistent. I complain about it, too. It’s even worse in football because there are only 12 games in an entire season so if 4 of those games are the little sisters of the poor then 1/3 of your viewing pleasure are worthless games.

Obviously, some don’t mind it because they would be okay with us playing 12 cupcakes if it helps to jumpstart the rebuild but with there being so few games in a football season I would prefer to not have 3-4 of them every single year be “buy” games.

Which 100% would negatively impact NET ranking, and thus NCAAT seeding, that was my point.

Fine with me. My point wasn’t even about NET ranking. It was about my wallet. Things are expensive and I’d like to go see more Tennessee home games when I am in Knoxville visiting family over the holidays, and I personally have no desire to pay out to ass for a game against Tennessee Tech which I have seen almost every year.

VN Store

Back