Out of Conference Schedule Released

Still feels like a poor decision in a year where they are raising ticket prices. Think what you want about it, but from a fan perspective, it isn't a fan-friendly move. Forget swapping out two games. Even a one game swap would have made a big difference.
We’ll see, folks said the same about football attendance with new ticket model and those sales are up, I’m guessing hoops will be just fine too.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We’ll see, folks said the same about football attendance with new ticket model and those sales are up, I’m guessing hoops will be just fine too.
Don't make it an issue of ticket sales. We know where you stand on that issue. I didn't say it would/wouldn't affect ticket sales. I simply said that it wasn't a fan-friendly decision to give fans a subpar OOC schedule to watch in the same season you raise ticket prices. That isn't a decision made with the fan experience in mind. People will still come because we have good fans anxious to see our team, which should also be very good. Attendance MIGHT go down. It MIGHT not. That isn't the issue at hand, nor was it the position I was looking to defend.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
Don't make it an issue of ticket sales. We know where you stand on that issue. I didn't say it would/wouldn't affect ticket sales. I simply said that it wasn't a fan-friendly decision to give fans a subpar OOC schedule to watch in the same season you raise ticket prices. That isn't a decision made with the fan experience in mind. People will still come because we have good fans anxious to see our team, which should also be very good. Attendance MIGHT go down. It MIGHT not. That isn't the issue at hand, nor was it the position I was looking to defend.
I think the overall slate is really good and the OOC home slate is better than a majority of schools…folks will b!tch cause that’s what ppl do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Which is still infinitely better than our home slate. And I know we aren't the only one with a bad home schedule, but just because others are also bad doesn't make ours above reproach. I didn't criticize ours relative to anyone else's. Just calling a bad home slate what it is...a bad home slate.

We also play 2 of those Memphis opponents, and they have to beef up OOC because of their weaker conference.

I understand, but most people prefer home and home college series. When you have years where you have to play the road game, this is what you get. Last year’s schedule had one good OOC game- Arizona, who we now play on the road. We have Texas this year.

Year before Covid, it was Memphis and Wisconsin. The neutral games are taking up 4-5 games. Only leaves about 2 more big time opponents.

We also play 2 of those Memphis opponents, and they have to beef up OOC because of their weaker conference.

I understand, but most people prefer home and home college series. When you have years where you have to play the road game, this is what you get. Last year’s schedule had one good OOC game- Arizona, who we now play on the road. We have Texas this year.

Year before Covid, it was Memphis and Wisconsin. The neutral games are taking up 4-5 games. Only leaves about 2 more big time opponents.
Yeah, I think one more high level home opponent makes it acceptable. As is, it just leaves a little to be desired. And as I said, in a year when they raise ticket prices, it's only amplified.

Yeah, I think one more high level home opponent makes it acceptable. As is, it just leaves a little to be desired. And as I said, in a year when they raise ticket prices, it's only amplified.
Maybe they’ve decided to go more toward the Auburn & Alabama schedule where the rankings folks seem to value W/L over SOS in an attempt to get a higher ranking and better seeding for March Madness? If so, it doesn’t help your point of not getting great OOC teams playing in Knoxville but there may be a consolation prize in March. Just a thought

Reactions: cncchris33
Maybe they’ve decided to go more toward the Auburn & Alabama schedule where the rankings folks seem to value W/L over SOS in an attempt to get a higher ranking and better seeding for March Madness? If so, it doesn’t help your point of not getting great OOC teams playing in Knoxville but there may be a consolation prize in March. Just a thought
I'm fine with that if there is some sort of calculated reasoning behind it.

I think the overall slate is really good and the OOC home slate is better than a majority of schools…folks will b!tch cause that’s what ppl do 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say our OOC home slate is better than the majority of D1. I guess everything is relative and subjective, but we a single P5 opponent at home in the non-conference. ONE. In late January. If the majority of schedules are worse than that then maybe university’s as a whole need to do a better job scheduling better games.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say our OOC home slate is better than the majority of D1. I guess everything is relative and subjective, but we a single P5 opponent at home in the non-conference. ONE. In late January. If the majority of schedules are worse than that then maybe university’s as a whole need to do a better job scheduling better games.
Probably a bad time to mention this, but we had Arizona last year as our only P5 OOC home game.

Or maybe fans need to accept that is what it is and what AD’s feel is best for their programs? I highly doubt majority of AD’s are purposely sabotaging their fans or program, so if this is how most are doing it I would venture to say there’s good reason. I know with how the NET Rankings are set up that there is definitely much more incentive for neutral/road games than home.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Or maybe fans need to accept that is what it is and what AD’s feel is best for their programs? I highly doubt majority of AD’s are purposely sabotaging their fans or program, so if this is how most are doing it I would venture to say there’s good reason. I know with how the NET Rankings are set up that there is definitely much more incentive for neutral/road games than home.

Yeah, and that is fine. You and I just fundamentally disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I think neutral site games are bad for the sport. People can hate on Cal, but I respect the hell out of him for taking Kentucky to Spokane this year and going into that hornet’s nest. College sports don’t need to be on boring, dead neutral courts with a fraction of the volume and energy.

My personal preference is to renew home-and-homes and make them a thing again. I just don’t enjoy watching these neutral site games with no atmosphere. Watching Tennessee play in Boulder last year was a ton of fun. That crowd was rowdy. We then go to Madison Square Garden and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Yeah, and that is fine. You and I just fundamentally disagree. Nothing wrong with that. I think neutral site games are bad for the sport. People can hate on Cal, but I respect the hell out of him for taking Kentucky to Spokane this year and going into that hornet’s nest. College sports don’t need to be on boring, dead neutral courts with a fraction of the volume and energy.

My personal preference is to renew home-and-homes and make them a thing again. I just don’t enjoy watching these neutral site games with no atmosphere. Watching Tennessee play in Boulder last year was a ton of fun. That crowd was rowdy. We then go to Madison Square Garden and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

You apparently missed the actual story on that game, he’s ducking the hornets nest and refused to play it. That kinda goes against your point, not helps strengthen it. Also wait, that’s an away game when you’re talking about home, who’s Kentucky get at home this year? Kansas? We get Texas? We are going to Arizona? What am I missing about this mad respect for Cal??

Last edited:
You apparently missed the actual story on that game, he’s ducking the hornets nest and refused to play it. That kinda goes against your point, not helps strengthen it. Also wait, that’s an away game when you’re talking about home, who’s Kentucky get at home this year? Kansas? We get Texas? We are going to Arizona? What am I missing about this mad respect for Cal??

It’s been a busy month of work. Last I saw was he announced in front of BBN a home-and-home with Gonzaga. He backed out?

I don’t think this is accurate

It’s been a busy month of work. Last I saw was he announced in front of BBN a home-and-home with Gonzaga. He backed out?
The "home" portion for Gonzaga will be played in Spokane, but not on campus in Gonzaga's 6000 seat arena. Instead, it will be played in the Spokane Arena, a general purpose facility. It seats 12000+. So it is technically a neutral site game, but it's a home game for all intents and purposes.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
The "home" portion for Gonzaga will be played in Spokane, but not on campus in Gonzaga's 6000 seat arena. Instead, it will be played in the Spokane Arena, a general purpose facility. It seats 12000+. So it is technically a neutral site game, but it's a home game for all intents and purposes.

Gotcha. Well, at least the game is in Spokane. If Tennessee had a “fancier” arena in Knoxville, I wouldn’t mind them scheduling a game in that as opposed to TBA.

Regardless, my point still stands. To quote a certain individual:

“College sports belong on college campuses.” - Tony Vitello

They are playing, but it’s not home and home. He refused to play in “the hornets nest”, and instead agreed only to play at a bigger off campus arena so that Kentucky fans can get tickets, however next year it will be at Rupp.

Gotcha. Well, at least the game is in Spokane. If Tennessee had a “fancier” arena in Knoxville, I wouldn’t mind them scheduling a game in that as opposed to TBA.

Regardless, my point still stands. To quote a certain individual:

“College sports belong on college campuses.” - Tony Vitello
Yet in this example you are supporting it won’t be on a college campus and is being done to create a more neutral site atmosphere, 50/50 crowd.

Not sure that’s accurate, if it was at Gonzaga’s home court you’d get about 100-150 UK fans in there, at Spokane arena there will be 4k+

Yet in this example you are supporting it won’t be on a college campus and is being done to create a more neutral site atmosphere, 50/50 crowd.

Okay, whatever man. I should just learn to never say anything because people aren’t allowed to have opinions here. You’re right. It’s not technically on a home court. I didn’t know the fact about him not going to the college campus until today. Didn’t hear about it. I concede.

Reactions: walkenvol
Jon Rothstein has posted a bunch of OOC schedules on his Twitter feed, so just looking at it and number of OOC home games against P5…

Baylor 1 (Arkansas), Penn State 0, UCLA 0, Florida State 2 (Florida & Purdue), Colorado 0, Boston College 0, Wake Forest 1 (Georgia), Houston 1 (Alabama), Minnesota 1 (Mississippi State), UCONN 0, Virginia Tech 1 (Minnesota), Illinois 1 (Syracuse), Washington 1 (Auburn), NC State 0, Texas A&M 1 (Oregon State), Northerstern 1 (Pittsburgh), Marquette 1 (Baylor), Duke 1 (Ohio State), Kansas State 1 (Florida), TCU 1 (Providence), North Carolina 0, Ole Miss 1 (UCF), Florida 1 (UCONN), Purdue 1 (Marquette), Indiana 1 (North Carolina), Ohio State 0, Kansas 2 (Indiana & Seton Hall)

So Tennessee has more P5 home games than a lot of schools, and a much better single P5 home game than a bunch of schools as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Okay, whatever man. I should just learn to never say anything because people aren’t allowed to have opinions here. You’re right. It’s not technically on a home court. I didn’t know the fact about him not going to the college campus until today. Didn’t hear about it. I concede.
Have whatever opinion you want, didn’t realize you weren’t ok with people correcting you on it though when it’s wrong…go ahead and tell us the earth is flat if you’d like I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️. I really wasn’t trying to be a dick, you just wanted to respect the hell out of Cal for seemingly doing the exact same thing you were just complaining about.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back