Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have tons and I heard them all (from all of you). <3 Look, neither of us is ready to throw in the towel. We've had too many ups and downs to think otherwise. Just this evening he woke up not even knowing where he was and it scared the hell out of me then he went to sleep again and is back to being ok (still a bit fuzzy headed but ok).

The nurse called this evening after speaking with the doc and she's calling in some sort of super water pill tomorrow (an add on that is supposed to be taken before his regular lasix that he's supposed to be on for 10 days.) It should help with his ascites but every condition he has including the CHF he had ages ago but has found its way back, works against him in fluid retention but I've seen him here before. I've even seen him in worse condition. I don't want to downplay it too much but he's come back from the brink so many times I half wonder if he's the Prometheus character from the tv show Supernatural who dies and resurrects constantly. :D

It's just really hard dealing with the constant ups and downs but y'all have been a huge support and I want you to know that I appreciate every single one of you. I know it probably gets old at times and maybe I lean on you too much but y'all mean the world to me.

If I have any say on things we will be fighting the good fight for decades yet. :)
🧡 No, it hasn’t gotten old. Love how everyone is here for each other.

🧡 No, it hasn’t gotten old. Love how everyone is here for each other.

I really appreciate it.

Words can never fully express what everyone's support has meant to me. VN (especially the RF) has been my fam and helped me through so many hard times both spoken and unspoken. I just really do want everyone to know that. It's never been easy for me to talk about hard things but online and this thread have allowed me to do that and it helps. It really does. I try to do what I can whenever I see things but if ever there is something I can do for any of you - even those of you who lurk that I don't know as well I will do my damndest to see it done.

But hey let's not get too hasty. We got an awesome season ahead of us and an illness's ass to keep on kicking. And some of your goofy butts are in need of a firm mocking because you're well you (not you but some of y'all all the same). ;)

Daughter born in ‘81 considers herself Gen X

Depending on the cutoff source she's probably considered one. There's an argument to be made that those on the cusp of X and Y deserve their own designation. We're called the Oregon Trail Generation/Xennials and a few other things but we are different enough that it's unfair to lump us in with either because such a big cultural shift happened. Xennial is a horrific term that needs to never be adopted but here's a backgrounder on what many consider a micro-generation or crossover generation.

Xennials - Wikipedia

Last edited:
No one even saying a word about the fact that the Little Leaguer in the freeze frame looks like a high schooler (kid doing the pose looks like a kid but not the kid they show before you hit play)?

the-benchwarmers-i-am12.gif

On Tuesday’s edition of Swain’s podcast he and Josh discussed the scrimmage. Jayson watched the scrimmage with Troy Fleming. Jayson didn’t say a lot but he did seem impressed with a number of players, Small most of all. He was also impressed with Sampson, Hooker, and Merrill. I haven’t heard a whole lot about Merrill but I remember Jayson being early on the Josh Palmer bandwagon so I thought that was notable. He seemed to suggest we’d be okay at left tackle which ever guy wins the job. He’s big on Hadden even though he didn’t get to scrimmage and has been out for most of fall camp.

In the 2nd hour of his podcast he and Josh welcomed Bill Connelly to the show. Bill said Tennessee played better than our record last year (I have a chart on that below). He said when his final preseason rankings come out in the next few days we may drop a little bit (#9 in his May update) but will still be borderline top 10.

He talked about Pitt and the strength of the Pitt team is the line of scrimmage. If we can win that we win the game. He said Florida was thin at the skill positions on offense but he was high on Anthony Richardson. He said Florida would have a sophomore defense this year. He said the issue LSU has to deal with is they lost a lot of guys from last year and have rebuilt their roster with the transfer portal. He thinks all of these new guys at LSU this year may require some time to get used to playing with each other. He thought it was to our advantage that we get both Florida and LSU early in the season and with a bye week in between.

Connelly said the key to whether we win 6 or 7 games versus 9 or 10 games hangs on how well we’re able to solve our depth issues from last year on defense. (side note: I’ve read from a number of analysts that say the key to a Briles type offense aside from having the right QB is defensive depth). He talked about the fact that for the first half of the season last year we had a top 20 defense but with a lack of depth in the back half of the season we sort of wilted especially in the latter part of our games.

This first chart is 1D+TD efficiencies (% of plays that end in a 1D or TD) for offense and defense for Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama, from last year. It suggests that we marginally outplayed Pitt and significantly outplayed Ole Miss. It also suggests that Florida outplayed Alabama but Emory Jones threw an interception in the 1Q that gave Alabama the ball on Florida’s 38 yard line. The Tide scored a TD off of that mistake and went on to win the game by 2 points. That Florida team is the one we played last year not the one that finished the season with essentially a don’t care attitude.

ScreenHunter 990.png

This second chart is how we’ve matched up with Georgia last year and in 2016, our last win against them. It also looks at how Georgia has fared in each of the other years since Kirby took over in Athens. I expect Georgia to regress this year and so does most other analysts. The question is by how much. Holding teams to 24.56% for 1D+TD for the season is pretty unreal and likely not sustainable season to season. We probably need Georgia's defense this year to get back above 30.00% at least, which I think is realistic. jmo.

ScreenHunter 988.png
In 2019 Heupel had a decent defense at UCF. He went 10-3.
ScreenHunter 989.png
I think with our offense if our defense can perform similar to the UCF defense in 2019 we would have a good shot at winning at least 10 games in the regular season. Also I'd take Heupel's offense over the Gus offense any day. jmo.

Doc said they show less wear if you buy two pair and alternate, so each pair has a day to recover.

I mean I know other fans are making fun but if you look at their history they are one of the worst programs historically in D1 NCAA football and that's not an exaggeration. ALL the while one of the more loyal fanbases out there. While they definitel have their jackass moments I give them all the credit in the world for their loyalty. Any team would be fortunate to have a fanbase like theirs so if they wanna sell costco tix for peanuts and feed their fans, those fans certainly deserve it. JMO.

Reactions: OrangenSC

24. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee, running back
He had a good debut season in 2021, rushing for 409 yards and four touchdowns, but figures to be even more of a weapon in Josh Heupel’s system. The 5-11 Wright is up to 200 pounds but displayed some serious juice this offseason, clocking 23.6 mph in practice. Beyond that, Wright vertical-jumped 44 inches and did a 10-8 broad jump.

94. Elijah Simmons, Tennessee, defensive tackle
A former middle school running back, Simmons has grown into a 6-2, 340-pound powerhouse who is the Vols’ strongest player. Simmons bench-presses 455, incline-presses 385 and power-cleans 345. He’s also a really gifted singer.

Last edited:
If you wear them every day, then try to get 2 pair and alternate.

A running shoe’s sole needs 24 hours to recover the compression of a days use.

They will last much longer and be much more comfortable if the sole gets to recover.

Same advice for avid runners. You need more than one pair if you run daily.

I really wish I had gotten this knowledge early in my military career, maybe my back wouldn't be as messed up today. Daily runs (and "showing motivation" via voluntarily going for runs with a 45 pound pack) did a number on me.

Reactions: ACvol3
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back