Should U.S. Swap ‘Merchant of Death’ for Brittney Griner?

Why does it seem so hard for people to understand one simple little concept? If you go to a foreign country, you have to abide by their laws no matter how stupid you think the laws are there. If you think well its legal in the U.S. or I have a prescription for it, you are too ignorant to be leaving the country. Stay home with all the other stupid people.

Yeah, I'm not taking any chance even if I was a druggie. It seems it would be safer getting them once you're in the country.

AHH, I love the right's viewpoint on indvidual liberty amd Constitutional protections. It's an absolute stonewalled protection for every American, complete and total adherence to Const., as Citizens. Dont tread on me. Govt cant tell me what to do -

as long as it fits my narrative.

protect our freedoms,

protect us from all enemies foreign and domestic,

She is an American Citizen. Ergo, deserves to be treated as such. Im guessing if that were you in a Russian prison, you'd probably want Joe Biden and the Demonrats to put aside dumbas political ideology and do the right thing?
Under this scenario, Griner sleeps good at night and Joe does not give it a second thought.

I posted earlier a guy got 14 years with a prescription. They're either strict or just doing it against America.

Sentencing BG is a really smart move by Russia. You've got the Left screaming to have her released and swap whoever for her and the Right saying f that don't give them a war criminal she deserves what she got. More bitching and fighting in America is the result.

Do you know if that is the normal sentence for possession and drug smuggling?

I think that it is (for people that are not politically connected in Russia). I would say they probably don't charge Russian athletes on possession, ever, unless they have fallen out of favor.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
AHH, I love the right's viewpoint on indvidual liberty amd Constitutional protections. It's an absolute stonewalled protection for every American, complete and total adherence to Const., as Citizens. Dont tread on me. Govt cant tell me what to do -

protect our freedoms,

protect us from all enemies foreign and domestic,

She is an American Citizen. Ergo, deserves to be treated as such. Im guessing if that were you in a Russian prison, you'd probably want Joe Biden and the Demonrats to put aside dumbas political ideology and do the right thing?
How does our constitution apply to Russian law? I'm having trouble following your logic.

How does our constitution apply to Russian law? I'm having trouble following your logic.
It doesn't.

It's heartbreaking what's happening to her. We're talking about someone's life. She doesn't deserve that.

But she put herself in that position. And life simply isn't fair sometimes. So you have to be fair to yourself as often as possible. Just a stupid move to make to go play ball there. Extreme lack of respect for geopolitics and awareness.

Russia won't go for the trade. They have plenty of death merchants, but they have a symbol of modern America in their punishment system. I doubt it stops at 9 years.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
9 years is an incredibly harsh sentence for what she had but she should have known better considering her public profile and what was going on in the world. If they don't get her out by the end of this Oct she's there until at least Oct 2024.

It doesn't.

It's heartbreaking what's happening to her. We're talking about someone's life. She doesn't deserve that.

But she put herself in that position. And life simply isn't fair sometimes. So you have to be fair to yourself as often as possible. Just a stupid move to make to go play ball there. Extreme lack of respect for geopolitics and awareness.

Russia won't go for the trade. They have plenty of death merchants, but they have a symbol of modern America in their punishment system. I doubt it stops at 9 years.

Sorry, but this comment just rubs me the wrong way.

"It's heartbreaking what's happening to her. We're talking about someone's life. She doesn't deserve that." It is not heartbreaking to anyone but her family or close friends. I assume you are not one of them or you would have stated so. Yes, it is sad but not heartbreaking. If she wasn't a basketball player, you wouldn't care one bit.

How does she not deserve punishment for breaking another country's laws? Where is you breaking heart for all the others across the world in jail for similar offenses? Please stop with the BS. She f'd up and brought drugs into another country that doesn't take kindly to that. She was/is and idiot and she is paying the price for her own stupidity.

It doesn't.

Super sad. If she was my daughter, I'd be rattling every cage to get her home.

But also super stupid. Not just the part about playing in Russia. Taking illicit substances in. I don't even care if she accidentally did it. When you're going through an airport, that's the type of thing you triple check, wake up and think about, then triple check again. If you use drugs, and have packed a suitcase, obsess about it. Level up that thought when traveling to a foreign country. Level up again when it's Russia.

Geez.

That's an "accident" and "oversight" that is really inexcusable.

Sorry, but this comment just rubs me the wrong way.

"It's heartbreaking what's happening to her. We're talking about someone's life. She doesn't deserve that." It is not heartbreaking to anyone but her family or close friends. I assume you are not one of them or you would have stated so. Yes, it is sad but not heartbreaking. If she wasn't a basketball player, you wouldn't care one bit.

How does she not deserve punishment for breaking another country's laws? Where is you breaking heart for all the others across the world in jail for similar offenses? Please stop with the BS. She f'd up and brought drugs into another country that doesn't take kindly to that. She was/is and idiot and she is paying the price for her own stupidity.
You do know that both can be true, right? That she is culpable, and human beings can have empathy beyond her culpability.

It's a little weird for you to get rubbed so raw about what someone else has empathy for. You know, I passed some homeless addicts yesterday afternoon and my heart broke for them, knowing full well their decisions put them there.

You get all edgy about that too?

Reactions: SoilVol
You do know that both can be true, right? That she is culpable, and human beings can have empathy beyond her culpability.

It's a little weird for you to get rubbed so raw about what someone else has empathy for. You know, I passed some homeless addicts yesterday afternoon and my heart broke for them, knowing full well their decisions put them there.

You get all edgy about that too?

That is in no way the same. She is a grown woman that has agents and others helping her through life-unlike most homeless people. Yet she still decided to take an illegal substance into a foreign country. Is it a sad situation, yes. But other than being used as an example by Russia in the media and given a possible higher sentence than a normal person, my heart doesn't break for a basketball star that couldn't leave their liquid weed at home when traveling to another country,

Reactions: dovervolz
That is in no way the same. She is a grown woman that has agents and others helping her through life-unlike most homeless people. Yet she still decided to take an illegal substance into a foreign country. Is it a sad situation, yes. But other than being used as an example by Russia in the media and given a possible higher sentence than a normal person, my heart doesn't break for a basketball star that couldn't leave their liquid weed at home when traveling to another country,
Cool. I'm glad you interjected to tell us your threshold of empathy in this matter, as well as your threshold for that of others. For whatever it may add to the conversation, your level couldn't bother me less.

Reactions: SoilVol

VN Store

Back