Transfer RB Lyn-J Dixon committed!

Speed>Bulk in this offense. I’m not stating a big back with speed would not be better but you take the best you can get. Remember the 4 star RB committed a couple of years ago but from accounts on VN, Heupel told him he was not a good fit. I can’t remember the name at the moment.

Nope, I don't recall that 4* RB, not that's not the point. What I said was the idea a big back is needed in Heup's offense is false. A stout goal line defense will make it necessary to have a Durham or hereford bull to penetrate tough defense lines. Again, the Purdue game showed this. Finesse could get us through, so we went with the heaviest back we had, unfortunately it didn't work.

So, here is something I don't get, Bru McCoy is waiting on the ok from the NCAA and his eligibility is in question because he transferred from USC to Texas for spring practice, back to USC, and then to UT, right? I think the question lies in the rule that a player can enter the portal once without sitting, but then has to sit a year on subsequent transfers. So Dixon transferred from Clemson to WVa for spring practice, then is transferring here. Why is his eligibility not in question? Is it because he never actually played after his first transfer? It's a little confusing, since I don't know if McCoy played for USC after transferring back.
Many people also said Bru didn't need a waiver either (originally). They had concocted some scenario wherein because his 1st transfer was pre-one time transfer rule, that he was ok this time. Clearly, not the case. Despite all the pointing out that NCAA docs say nothing about such a thing and some of us pointing it out.

Now some say LDJ is immediately eligible as well. Merely due to being a grad transfer (which every NCAA document points to now being a moot point). Maybe he is...or already got a waiver. But everything from the NCAA FAQs contradicts this.
Screenshot_20220803-121509_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Many people also said Bru didn't need a waiver either (originally). They had concocted some scenario wherein because his 1st transfer was pre-one time transfer rule, that he was ok this time. Clearly, not the case. Despite all the pointing out that NCAA docs say nothing about such a thing and some of us pointing it out.

Now some say LDJ is immediately eligible as well. Merely due to being a grad transfer (which every NCAA document points to now being a moot point). Maybe he is...or already got a waiver. But everything from the NCAA FAQs contradicts this.
View attachment 477540

My take is that the inference in your circled text is if you transferred as an undergrad AND applied the rule and participated without sitting out a year you would have to get an additional waiver, I.e. Used the ONE TIME already. Transfer and sit first time, grad transfer is not an issue. Bru has never used a free pass to play. Especially when he was denied a chance to participate at previous school.

Hope everything works out and he can play this year. With his experience he could step in and be the #3 RB. It's a long season and injuries happen so being #3 on opening day means he'll be #2 for a few weeks during the season. Good to have his experience - we have some freshmen, but experience is priceless early in the season on the road.

If “this is the guy “ that shows up at practice from here on out , he will be 1-a or 1b in our season opener and we will be damn happy about it .

From The Charlotte Observer before transferring to WVU.

"Dixon entered the transfer portal in September 2021 after three games with Clemson, later saying there were no hard feelings between him and coach Dabo Swinney, running backs coach CJ Spiller or anyone else at Clemson. “Me and my family decided that it was best for me and my career for a fresh start somewhere else to be able to show the whole world the running back and leader that I know I am,” he told The State in December."

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article262928303.html#storylink=cpy

If he has that same attitude and his talent hasn't been compromised by a physical issue since those videos I don't see how he won't see a lot of playing time.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
Guy has played a ton of D1 football. Seems deceptively fast. Crazy how he has that wiggle, hard to bring him down.

Reactions: Freak

This kid still has all the tools to be special. I think Heups Offense is Tailor Made for him

This vid answers all the questions raised in this thread and provides even better info.

Kid was a 4* elite RB recruit out of GA offered by Tenn first after his first college camp then quickly offered by GA, BAMA, OK, CLEM and other elite programs.

He was earmarked to be the next elite CLEM RB successor to Etienne until Etienne tanked Dixon by suddenly bypassing the NFL draft. Everything for Dixon pretty much fell apart from there. He went from being the anointed successor ready for his breakout year to riding the bench. CLEM coaches were surprised he didn’t transfer but Dixon tried to stick it out.

Dixon has played and contributed in the CFB playoffs and also suited up for NC games. His fortunes sunk along with CLEM’s 2021 season.

Don’t yet know why he left WVA for us but I’m damn glad he did.

If he can find a real home here under Heup then Dixon is bigger faster stronger and better than any RB on our roster period. He’s got serious NFL potential and he’ll need a monster year or two at TENN to get there. So he should come in HUNGRY he’s got everything to gain and nothing to lose atp.

HUGE GET

This vid answers all the questions raised in this thread and provides even better info.

Kid was a 4* elite RB recruit out of GA offered by Tenn first after his first college camp then quickly offered by GA, BAMA, OK, CLEM and other elite programs.

He was earmarked to be the next elite CLEM RB successor to Etienne until Etienne tanked Dixon by suddenly bypassing the NFL draft. Everything for Dixon pretty much fell apart from there. He went from being the anointed successor ready for his breakout year to riding the bench. CLEM coaches were surprised he didn’t transfer but Dixon tried to stick it out.

Dixon has played and contributed in the CFB playoffs and also suited up for NC games. His fortunes sunk along with CLEM’s 2021 season.

Don’t yet know why he left WVA for us but I’m damn glad he did.

If he can find a real home here under Heup then Dixon is bigger faster stronger and better than any RB on our roster period. He’s got serious NFL potential and he’ll need a monster year or two at TENN to get there. So he should come in HUNGRY he’s got everything to gain and nothing to lose atp.

HUGE GET

A few interesting opinions in the comments. I’m hoping he earns his way to the NFL through Knoxville.

“Clearly you have no clue what you’re commenting on. Clemson coaches (coach spiller and coach Elliot) and players (will Shipley) have all said Dixon was being a problem/ cancer in the room bc he felt entitled to being the starter didn’t earn the job and then became very jealous and toxic in the RB room. No way for a “senior” to carry himself.”

“As a Clemson fan I hope he kills it at WVU. I’m going to vent a bit on this. Dixon stayed even during his Jr year when Etienne had came back. Dabo does players dirty then expects them to stay loyal. Dixon was loyal by staying when he didn’t need to. He was very productive as a back up and proved he was ready to start.

We all know the moment they got Shipley, Dabo pushed Dixon down the depth chart. He does that when he gets a 5 star recruit. Given Dixon’s production he should’ve been the starter and have Shipley, Pace, and Mafah as the back ups. **** we could’ve won some of the games we lost if, we had Dixon and we ran the ball more. Dabo doesn’t like being proved wrong which is why he never benched DJ and let the other QBs get a start this season.

Dabo did the same with Kelly Bryant who lead us to the playoffs, Dashawn by not benching Cole, and now Dixon. The way Dabo replaced Kelly you’d think he was playing like DJ but he wasn’t. Then Dabo is petty to not delivery the championship ring to Kelly when Dabo know that was Kelly’s last year of eligibility if he didn’t transfer. Kelly was trying to make it to the NFL and he was technically going to use his last year if he didn’t transfer and T Law had time. Dabo expected Kelly to be a back up as a senior essential when Kelly balled the season before. TLaw could’ve been the back up for the season and let Kelly ball again. Honestly Kelly would be playing today as Clemson would’ve been a perfect platform.

Dabo sucks at making adjustments, just like he does with his stubbornness over his coaching decisions and that’s been our Achilles heel. Any game where the game plan doesn’t work we lose. All in all though I really do hope Dixon balls in WVU and gets to the NFL.”

“Lyn J was always an issue. He ran upright and couldn’t/wouldn’t block. He lacked the ability to be a teammate and was seen with teammates screaming at him on sidelines during games. Lyn J couldn’t see a hole to save his life and had an uncanny knack to run backwards or laterally more than “north south.” He was also always undersized and had only very good top end speed to pad stats if you didn’t watch him game in and game out he would get nothing on most runs then hit a 30 yarder here and there due to the fact he was never an every down back and came in mostly in late games. He never had the “it factor” he had speed. I wish him the best but he consistently lost out to younger backs for a reason.”

“I've known this young man since 8th grade. He is a really good person with a good heart. The young man was promised the starting position going into his senior year. However Coach Elliot move from RB coach to OC. In comes CJ Spiller and decides to have open competition at RB once they signed Wil Shipley. His touches and the way he was used declined almost immediately going into spring camp. He transferred to get a fair shot and show what he can do as a primary RB.”

“I live 15 minutes from butler and watched him play in high school. He quit on his high school team his senior year because his mother(who showed up his junior year) thought they were playing him too much, she even talked him into faking an injury for over a month. His qb got a scholarship to Troy, so obviously they had a passing game. I honestly don't think this kid has made a decision for himself in years, and has shown he signs of being a quitter. He reminds me a lot of a kid named Lorenzo Smothers from Marion Co ga, he was headed to Georgia southern until his bad advice turned him upside down”

Reactions: Woke and VAVol85

This kid still has all the tools to be special. I think Heups Offense is Tailor Made for him

Good video and lots of youtube comments that tell conflicting stories - either he’s entitled and a locker room problem or a good kid done wrong by Dabo and the RB coach. No doubt his skills fit the offense, let’s hope our new culture solves any other issues.

Nope, I don't recall that 4* RB, not that's not the point. What I said was the idea a big back is needed in Heup's offense is false. A stout goal line defense will make it necessary to have a Durham or hereford bull to penetrate tough defense lines. Again, the Purdue game showed this. Finesse could get us through, so we went with the heaviest back we had, unfortunately it didn't work.
What the Purdue game showed is the running back scoring and the refs screwing the Vols. That’s how I remember seeing it.

Supposed to be at practice this week.

Outstanding get with 2 yrs of eligibility to prove himself. He was once committed to UT as well. I watched his career here in Greenville with Clemson and he had some really good games. Also a veteran with a Natty in 2018.
Provides serious quality depth at a position of need!

Reactions: Woke
It will take him a while to get acclimated to the system but I’m sure he will have some good Carries for us sometime during the year… how early will be dictated by how quickly he can catch up… this is a really good Team that is locked in I’m liking my 9-3 prediction more each day…

VN Store

Back