Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust in Willie's development.

Never ever understood some folks' knock on him. It is silly.
My skepticism of Willie Martinez goes back to when he was the DC at UGA in 2009 and I sat in Neyland watching his defense look completely clueless as the heretofore incompetent Jonathan Crompton ran bootleg after bootleg to hit deep passes and run them out of the stadium. It was like they didn’t understand that was a legal play they were so surprised by it every time.

But I understand he has improved over the years and I’m happy to have him as our DB’s coach. Some coordinators aren’t cut out to be head coaches and some position coaches aren’t cut out to be coordinators.

The knock was our DBs regularly got roasted especially on deep balls. And, despite what he’s done at UCF, and the improvement we saw last year, there wasn’t a lot of development his first time around here. See E-Man, NFL starter, who didn’t get drafted because he was not good here.

There are plenty of possible reasons, but the criticism wasn’t crazy.

I thought I remember him being a very lowly ranked Butch desperation recruit. The fact that he made the league at all was due to development.

The problem is taking we "should" beat team 1, 2, etc individually and then turning that into we "should" cumulatively beat them all. But once you add up all the probabilities, it isn't that easy to get over 50% chance of beating all 4 as a group.

Even a pretty optimistic view, such as being the favorites by quite a bit:

9 over UK (75%)
11 over USCjr (80%)
14 over Mizzou (85%)
18 over Vandy (95%)

And yet the odds of beating all 4 is 48%. Just less than half of the time.

It's a toss-up 😉 (not that I have us that high vs UK atm, just an example). We have a decent shot at pulling it off imo, but it's not as simple as it's made to seem like these are the 90s version of those teams.

People struggle to think in terms of probabilities and risk, about everything. For example, if you accumulate debt at a compounding rate, eventually there will be a default, in one form or another. But somehow this happens repeatedly, which means both the borrowers and the lenders are ignoring the inevitable, even though the consequences are very bad.

On a less important scale, Georgia fans think the Dawgs are going 12-0 again this regular season. That would 24-0 over two regular seasons. "What game are we likely to lose?" They don't understand that the probabilities quickly approach zero percent, even if we were playing Georgia Tech 12 times a year.

Reactions: MockingVol
The truth hurts, I guess. I am not a fan of Timmy T. Probably moreso because he went to Florida, but I still would not be a fan if he went somewhere else.
That’s all I was asking newt. Why would that truth hurt? I don’t care if u like Tim tebow or any other athlete

? The original post I responded to said Stoops schedules *3* cupcakes OOC and has benefitted from Lville being down.

I responded with “we also schedule 3 cupcakes”.

Never said their schedule was harder. Never said our schedules were equal.

Simply pointed out that we also (like basically every SEC team) schedule 3 cupcakes.

I did not realize that was such a controversial statement.
In fairness, when you say that Tennessee "also" did something, to me, it implies that you are saying we need to look at our own schedule. If you had said, almost all SEC teams also do this, then it might have held more water with me. But, since you used Tennessee and most of us are pretty fanatic and defensive about our team, a lot of us believe that you are comparing their schedule to ours. Thus, the arguments ensue. Your point of three cupcakes is somewhat valid, but cupcake as others have pointed out, is relative. Some cupcakes are not as easy as they seem, but I would agree, that, for the most part, are games we should win every year.

It's like people just had something against him.

Or more likely they have their "burned-in memories" aka they remember singularly bad instances that stuck with them...rather than looking at large volumes of plays and data...reality.
Yep….. I agree.

I also hadn't realized we had to either chalk Kentucky up as a Vandy-like guarantee or turn in our fan card.
Most of us do not ask people we are arguing with to turn in their card. Just because a lot of people are arguing with him does not mean they are saying he is not a fan. @butchna even stated he believed he is a fan. I will go on record as saying that I believe he is one as well. I think you are a fan also, though I know we have had some disagreements in the past. Irrespective of all of this, Kentucky still sucks.

Reactions: butchna
My skepticism of Willie Martinez goes back to when he was the DC at UGA in 2009 and I sat in Neyland watching his defense look completely clueless as the heretofore incompetent Jonathan Crompton ran bootleg after bootleg to hit deep passes and run them out of the stadium. It was like they didn’t understand that was a legal play they were so surprised by it every time.

I saw that game coming several weeks earlier, when Kiffin absolutely refused to run his offense against Florida in the swamp. I knew he was holding something back for what he thought was a more winnable and maybe more important (from a recruiting perspective) game. Martinez is a fine DB coach, but at that time matching wits with Kiffin was beyond his abilities as a DC. Sure enough, Georgia was completely unprepared for Tennessee's offensive gameplan.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
The problem is taking we "should" beat team 1, 2, etc individually and then turning that into we "should" cumulatively beat them all. But once you add up all the probabilities, it isn't that easy to get over 50% chance of beating all 4 as a group.

Even a pretty optimistic view, such as being the favorites by quite a bit:

9 over UK (75%)
11 over USCjr (80%)
14 over Mizzou (85%)
18 over Vandy (95%)

And yet the odds of beating all 4 is 48%. Just less than half of the time.

It's a toss-up 😉 (not that I have us that high vs UK atm, just an example). We have a decent shot at pulling it off imo, but it's not as simple as it's made to seem like these are the 90s version of those teams.
75% (if true) does not meet the definition of toss up IMO. Now, if you were to say it's a toss up as to whether we will win all four, then I would agree with that.

Most of us do not ask people we are arguing with to turn in their card. Just because a lot of people are arguing with him does not mean they are saying he is not a fan. @butchna even stated he believed he is a fan. I will go on record as saying that I believe he is one as well. I think you are a fan also, though I know we have had some disagreements in the past. Irrespective of all of this, Kentucky still sucks.
I’m only liking your post because you said Kentucky sucks. Well, that’s all I read. Standard for reading any of your ‘work’ on here.

Reactions: drvenner
I disliked Heupel when he was at Oklahoma. He just seemed like a turd from the outside.

I didn’t pay any attention to him at UCF.

I was jealous when I flipped on their games and saw how explosive the offense was. I didn’t understand why we couldn’t play that way.

Then we hired him and I was on the fence.

I was extremely pleased with year 1.

I think we hit a grand slam with this hire.

He is coming into his own. He trusts his system and coaches.

It works. He knows it. He can teach it.

Pretty awesome to watch him work. Still young and hungry!!!

I saw that game coming several weeks earlier, when Kiffin absolutely refused to run his offense against Florida in the swamp. I knew he was holding something back for what he thought was a more winnable and maybe more important (from a recruiting perspective) game. Martinez is a fine DB coach, but at that time matching wits with Kiffin was beyond his abilities as a DC. Sure enough, Georgia was completely unprepared for Tennessee's offensive gameplan.

To be fair, as a Tennessee fan I was extremely surprised by that performance as well.

Just now online with back to the TV and heard Scully radio retro call on the TV..My goodness. It was uncanny and sounded like Ward I flipped my attention to the TV and thought it was UT related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back