Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s a big ask given the product on the field the past couple of years. Honestly, I am surprised we are recruiting this well given all of the crap this program has went through since 2008.
That's exactly why we as an entire fanbase have to go all-in. It is an advantage that we can utilize that has never been available to us before. The advantage and window are shrinking every day.

They are two separate things, but the first thing can equalize the second. We are still an ugly/iffy program to a lot of guys so we have to go the extra mile.
We have little to no idea how Spyre decides what a player is worth. If another program decides they're worth more, does Spyre stand their ground or up their offer? And we have no idea if more money in the collective changes their perspective. So, while money can help equalize, we have no idea if it will. Coaches still have to be able to recruit at the end of the day. Position coaches have to be able to sell themselves as developers of talent that can get you to the next level. There's going to be a balance between the two, and we won't necessarily know which side is falling short when things don't go our way.

We have little to no idea how Spyre decides what a player is worth. If another program decides they're worth more, does Spyre stand their ground or up their offer? And we have no idea if more money in the collective changes their perspective. So, while money can help equalize, we have no idea if it will. Coaches still have to be able to recruit at the end of the day. Position coaches have to be able to sell themselves as developers of talent that can get you to the next level. There's going to be a balance between the two, and we won't necessarily know which side is falling short when things don't go our way.
Like anything else, you balance your allocation based on your resources and what is available to you. If you have more available than anyone else, you don't have to worry about that problem. "Big bank take little bank." - Thomas Jefferson

You are right about the coaches still having to be able to recruit and development being a factor. If we're losing some recruiting battles, it probably means that we need to bring more to the table. You also can't win them all. However, if all things are equal, and we aren't winning the recruiting battles, then we have to make sure that things aren't equal.

Like anything else, you balance your allocation based on your resources and what is available to you. If you have more available than anyone else, you don't have to worry about that problem. "Big bank take little bank." - Thomas Jefferson

You are right about the coaches still having to be able to recruit and development being a factor. If we're losing some recruiting battles, it probably means that we need to bring more to the table. You also can't win them all. However, if all things are equal, and we aren't winning the recruiting battles, then we have to make sure that things aren't equal.
I think you're missing my point, to a degree. You're assuming Spyre will just spend freely IF they have tons more money. I'm not convinced it works that way. I think they assign a guy a value. The question then becomes, will they exceed their own value for a player if someone else values him more? We don't know the answer to that. We, as fans, are not the ones deciding how much a kid is going to get. The money goes in, but the fans do not decide how it's doled out. So will Spyre exceed their own valuation, or do they stand pat? We don't know. You're assuming more money in means they will, but we don't know that.

Might be a good question for @WillAtSpyre .

I think you're missing my point, to a degree. You're assuming Spyre will just spend freely IF they have tons more money. I'm not convinced it works that way. I think they assign a guy a value. The question then becomes, will they exceed their own value for a player if someone else values him more? We don't know the answer to that. We, as fans, are not the ones deciding how much a kid is going to get. The money goes in, but the fans do not decide how it's doled out. So will Spyre exceed their own valuation, or do they stand pat? We don't know. You're assuming more money in means they will, but we don't know that.

Might be a good question for @WillAtSpyre .
We haven't seen our collective make that decision, that we know of. Obviously we have seen other programs/collectives make that decision. So I think the answer is, like all things, your value vs. the market's value dictates what you're willing to spend. Obviously it is 100x more nuanced than that, but the principals of market value remain.

Your guess is as good as mine. My guy is “perplexed…….”

kids are changing their minds overnight. Been told it’s next to impossible to get a hold on what is actually going to happen. Any info is subject to immediate change and is taken with a grain of salt
Uh, I think you meant grade of slaw. SMH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back