Do we beat Florida this year ?

• Yes

Votes: 252 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 14.3%

• Total voters

sunnyvol79

Tennessee Vol till I die
Is this the year we finally get the Florida monkey off our backs and beat them ? Last win was in 2016 under Butch Jones as we came back from a 21-3 first half deficit to win 38-28 outscoring them 35-7 and ending a 11 game losing streak.

Last edited:
If Tennessee loses to Florida watch out , the negativity will be coming from everywhere and some of vol nations finest will be questioning coach Huepel.
Please for the sake of our fan base beat Florida this year.
It’s a HUGE game for Heupel and company but don’t overlook the Pitt game two weeks prior at Pitt. I don’t think that game is getting enough buzz and talk that is a very big game and I think some fans on here think that game will be a cakewalk which it def won’t be we will be lucky to get out of Heinz field with a win.

Heupel needs to get this monkey off his back this year. UF will be getting better every year. I'm not supporting we dump the coach if we lose to them. However we must cover the spread.

Reactions: gasguy98
It’s a HUGE game for Heupel and company but don’t overlook the Pitt game two weeks prior at Pitt. I don’t think that game is getting enough buzz and talk that is a very big game and I think some fans on here think that game will be a cakewalk which it def won’t be we will be lucky to get out of Heinz field with a win.

Pitt won’t be a cake walk, but Pitt also doesn’t matter if we lose to Florida again. Florida should be circled on Heupels calendar with 10 overlapping circles. If we beat Florida the East may very well depend on the Tennessee Georgia game.

Lose to Florida and once again, it’s all for naught.

Heupel needs to get this monkey off his back this year. UF will be getting better every year. I'm not supporting we dump the coach if we lose to them. However we must cover the spread.
Yep this is the year to get them in Napiers first season during a rebuild. Florida might bring in a top 5 or 7 class this year and it will only get harder to beat them next year in Gainesville and going forward. But the last first year Florida coach we beat was Spurrier way back in 1990.

Is this the year we finally get the Florida monkey off our backs and beat them ? Last win was in 2016 under Butch Jones as we came back from a 21-3 first half deficit to win 38-28 outscoring them 35-7 and ending a 11 game losing streak.
Kind of a litmus test for Heupel or any other UT coach. According to the Rivals talent composite in another thread, the two programs are pretty close. They have been for most of the streak. From 1990 to 2005, UT was 6-10 vs UF. It really shouldn't be any worse than that and probably should be a little better based on the talent and rhythm of both programs.

The right coach at UT will outcoach other coaches. They will do more with less.... until they have more. That's the formula almost everywhere but especially at UT where there is so much dependence on out of state talent.

Last edited:
Meh.

There’s no excuse for UF not to have a Top 10 recruiting class every year, given all the high school talent.
That is absolutely true.

It is also somewhat true for UT. K'ville is about 3.5 hours from ATL and one of the most concentrated pools of talent in the country. That in combination with UT's physical location and surroundings plus the facilities and football investment should give the Vols an advantage over a lot of programs. UT doesn't have the advantages of UF. No one has the advantages of UGA. But UT's avg 16th finish over the last 4-5 years is too low. The average really should be around 10th all things considered and in "normal" conditions.

That is absolutely true.

It is also somewhat true for UT. K'ville is about 3.5 hours from ATL and one of the most concentrated pools of talent in the country. That in combination with UT's physical location and surroundings plus the facilities and football investment should give the Vols an advantage over a lot of programs. UT doesn't have the advantages of UF. No one has the advantages of UGA. But UT's avg 16th finish over the last 4-5 years is too low. The average really should be around 10th all things considered and in "normal" conditions.
Don’t forget that Clemson maybe more than any other team has really hurt our recruiting the last several years.

Florida is not winning anything of note this year and this will be a great shot for TN to beat Florida. I do find it a little curious that FL is perceived to be 5th place or worse in the East, TN is perceived to be 2nd or 3rd in the East, yet the teams had very similar records last year (7-6) and (6-7) and the head to head meeting wasn’t close.

Also, Florida won’t be the same team that quit on their coach and basically surrendered vs the SC’s and Mizzou’s of the world at the end of last year.

But I think the advantage in this game is that TN’s offense will be established and clicking against a Florida defense that is a complete unknown. I’m not at all sold on TN’s defense but I’m also not sold on FL’s offense. So of the 4 units on the field, TN’s offense is the only unit you can mostly trust. Advantage TN.

Florida is not winning anything of note this year and this will be a great shot for TN to beat Florida. I do find it a little curious that FL is perceived to be 5th place or worse in the East, TN is perceived to be 2nd or 3rd in the East, yet the teams had very similar records last year (7-6) and (6-7) and the head to head meeting wasn’t close.

Also, Florida won’t be the same team that quit on their coach and basically surrendered vs the SC’s and Mizzou’s of the world at the end of last year.

But I think the advantage in this game is that TN’s offense will be established and clicking against a Florida defense that is a complete unknown. I’m not at all sold on TN’s defense but I’m also not sold on FL’s offense. So of the 4 units on the field, TN’s offense is the only unit you can mostly trust. Advantage TN.
A very fair assessment. Due to the past couple of decades and Battered Vol Syndrome, it's hard to get cocky about this matchup.

A sports writer on Finebaum today predicted Florida would go 9-3 and finish the second in the East said Tennessee wouid beat Georgia

Reactions: Jaws

VN Store

Back