(Updated 8/2/2022) 2022 MLB Draft and Roster Management Discussion Thread

10 players drafted (program record) and it appears we are keeping all of our incoming high school class and JUCO signees.
Let’s give it up for TN Gal, great job.

giphy.gif

I do not understand the draft. Luc, Ethan, and Redmond along with several younger players have had a lot more success in high-level SEC games than some drafted. i do not get how what they see some times. I understand if they had not been at such a high level but it has been proven if you can succeed in the SEC you can succeed in MLB. Hope these guys get their shot.

I do not understand the draft. Luc, Ethan, and Redmond along with several younger players have had a lot more success in high-level SEC games than some drafted. i do not get how what they see some times. I understand if they had not been at such a high level but it has been proven if you can succeed in the SEC you can succeed in MLB. Hope these guys get their shot.
I was just thinking this! Surely someone would want one of these 3 over a high school kid at the same position??

Reactions: HeadVol77
So, of this list, I know Luc, Evan, and Redmond are out of eligibility. Of the rest, who else is out of eligibility or just not coming back?

Lawd, it looks even worse when I have a list in front of me and not just going through them in my head!
CTV and staff will have their hands full with this turnover!

One of the reasons I don’t like the 20 round draft.

Yea, Luc batted .313 with 19 HRs and 44 RBIs this year. Seems like somebody would want to give him a shot.

Draft is definitely puzzling. However, age at draft time has a lot to do with it also. Guys that are 24-25 years old are not attractive in the draft. Not enough time to develop them through the system unless they are top level studs. Plus, even though guys are successful at the SEC level, that’s really only a small part of it. Their body type, physical attributes, and for pitchers, their mechanics determine longevity as well. As in, will their body hold up over the course of multiple pro seasons. These teams are making investments. If they don’t think a guy can hold up, they aren’t investing. Also, everyone likes to use the word projectable, but it’s true. Scouts decide whether they think a guy has peaked at the college level or if there is room to grow. Does his game translate to the pros? How high is his ceiling? Plenty of factors are considered, and college stats are just a small piece. You will always here high level coaches say that some guys are “players” and some guys are “prospects”. That’s very true.

Believe it or not, teams also place weight on genetic factors as well. Does the kid take any meds, etc.? They even consider hair and eye color as a factor of genetic longevity.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Personal update: We got some of my mom's test results back today and, unfortunately, things do not look good. Surgery is probably on the horizon and we are scheduling meetings with doctors to figure out the path moving forward. It's been pretty stressful for my family. Please continue to send good thoughts / prayers / good vibes our way. If I'm scarce here over the next few weeks, that is the reason. Thanks!

Personal update: We got some of my mom's test results back today and, unfortunately, things do not look good. Surgery is probably on the horizon and we are scheduling meetings with doctors to figure out the path moving forward. It's been pretty stressful for my family. Please continue to send good thoughts / prayers / good vibes our way. If I'm scarce here over the next few weeks, that is the reason. Thanks!

I know it’s been a trying time for you and your family. It’s exhausting and painful to deal with, stay strong and sending prayers.

I’m so sorry to hear that @TN_gal. We will be praying for a full recovery for your mother and we will be thinking of you as well during this difficult time.

VN Store

Back