Cigar /Pipe Smoking thread

Montecristo White Series is a benchmark Connecticut, IMHO.

Eh, if I am going to benchmark, it would probably be an Ashton or Fuente. Also pretty sure Montecristo white is equadorian shade not true connecticut like the brown wrappers.

BTW, @Gandalf, I have a couple of Oliva robustos at this moment.

What series? or is it Connecticut?

Montecristo White Series is a benchmark Connecticut, IMHO.

Haven’t tried it yet. I was going to get a monte sampler but I got the H. Upmann sampler instead. I think the monte sampler was almost 50$ so I went with the Upmann.

Eh, if I am going to benchmark, it would probably be an Ashton or Fuente. Also pretty sure Montecristo white is equadorian shade not true connecticut like the brown wrappers.

What series? or is it Connecticut?
The Olivas are Ecuadorian faux Connecticut.

Shade grown Arturo Fuentes are my favorites, so you’re tickling my personal bias propping them up over Montecristo Whites. 😉

Haven’t tried it yet. I was going to get a monte sampler but I got the H. Upmann sampler instead. I think the monte sampler was almost 50$ so I went with the Upmann.
Montes are a splurge - $14.50 a stick for White Series Toros. There’s one shop near me that will let me have a pair for $24. There’s another shop that periodically features 4 and 5 pack Monte samplers for $48 and $58. I’ve not shopped for these online.

Reactions: loggervol
I enjoyed the Ashton Churchills when I scored promotional boxes of 10 for $75. Ashton contracts for its cigars (Fuentes for some). I’m not of a mind to pay for the Ashton name when Fuentes have better price points.

I really like these. Not a Connecticut but a really good light to medium cigar. If you haven’t tried it, give it a try.

6892F165-FCCB-47DA-AAF6-9A910A9FD342.jpeg

It’s been laying in my humidor looking at me and begging me to smoke it. 🤪

Gandalf, you mentioned it so I had to have one43B2D9B0-10D4-48E6-AF79-99F16A6B3174.jpeg

The judge is a good name for this smoke. This is a full flavored smoke,no doubt about it. The most prevalent flavors are coffee/ espresso, leather earth and a light sweetness. Love the blend. If you smoke this, eat a good meal before you smoke it. This has definitely been the most full flavored cigar that I have smoked from the my father’s brand.
Gandalf, the Kahlua would go with this quite well. I would also recommend a bar of sweet chocolate.

My son is having the leaf by Oscar.

86927C29-938F-460D-81D1-4EDB99D29C70.jpeg

25B72288-0CEC-463B-8FD8-07F65C96A909.jpeg

I’m going to get myself one of these. I took a couple of draws off the leaf. My goodness at the flavors off this cigar. Nice tea, honey floral sweet hay. Just a crazy blend.

Last edited:
be sure to give us a review :)

I don’t know how good my review was but I liked the cigar. More on the full bodied side. I probably wouldn’t smoke this all the time but I would definitely smoke it again.

Most of the my father’s have a clear chocolate note in the flavor but this one didn’t. Well, the ones I’ve smoked. It had a sweetness to it, maybe a bit of chocolate but it was a slight taste of chocolate. And, for a full bodied cigar the pepper wasn’t there like I expected. Like the chocolate notes, the pepper was the same way.

I don’t know how good my review was but I liked the cigar. More on the full bodied side. I probably wouldn’t smoke this all the time but I would definitely smoke it again.

Most of the my father’s have a clear chocolate note in the flavor but this one didn’t. Well, the ones I’ve smoked. It had a sweetness to it, maybe a bit of chocolate but it was a slight taste of chocolate. And, for a full bodied cigar the pepper wasn’t there like I expected. Like the chocolate notes, the pepper was the same way.

I tend to prefer sticks with lots of coco not too much red pepper. One reason I tend to usually like my father but I am surprised it lacked the coco in this one.

Reactions: loggervol
Speaking of chocolate. Tonight I will be smoking this Uber cigar. This is just delicious. I got a few boxes and have been sitting them in the humidor for about 6months. These are the king of cigars.

I love the V cut I can get on a box pressed vitola. Makes such a pleasant smoke and great draw without getting loose tobacco.

DD475B0B-A858-4819-86BC-7E28708AD4B7.jpeg

I’ll look for PG robusto (#2 gourmet series) when next I’m shopping for cigars.
Watched a guy on YouTube that does pairings. Just so happened that he paired the PG with Sandeman's 30 year Tawny Port (I opened a bottle last night) and scored it at 95. He said the flavors are all over the place good, especially on the first sip.

I'm thinking about running down to the smoke pit here in a bit and get a couple. The Sandeman's is pretty darn good on its own.

VN Store

Back