2023 Target List

I’m taking the non-confirmation as confirmation on Dilione.

It would make sense. Guard is our "thinnest" position when it comes to the talent/experience ratio. I just cannot see us asking a 3/4 to reclass and compete for time with an experienced core and talented underclassman like Julian Phillips.

Tennesse: “That visit went well. Coach Gainey is the one recruiting me and he’s a great guy. The staff is pretty cool, the players seem cool, and it’s a big family over there. Their biggest message was talking their player development. That’s their biggest thing over there and they would want me to come in, work and they would try and get me to the next level.”

“I want to start making decisions by the end of the summer, he said. “I’ll be looking at the whole staff of the schools prioritizing me and the players. I want to see who shows that they want me.”

-24/7

Tennesse: “That visit went well. Coach Gainey is the one recruiting me and he’s a great guy. The staff is pretty cool, the players seem cool, and it’s a big family over there. Their biggest message was talking their player development. That’s their biggest thing over there and they would want me to come in, work and they would try and get me to the next level.”

“I want to start making decisions by the end of the summer, he said. “I’ll be looking at the whole staff of the schools prioritizing me and the players. I want to see who shows that they want me.”

-24/7
This quote doesn’t make it seem like he is reclassifying

Reactions: HippieVol33
Right. Didn't mean to insinuate the NIL deal was new news. By all accounts, Julian Phillips received a 7-figire deal, so it only stands to reason that Edwards does, as well. Just relaying it the talk on Basilio in real time for those who may not follow things that closely.

He also just mentioned the Graf posting. Also noted that Graf changed his prediction from Tennessee to UK, yesterday, but then acknowledged the post where Graf spoke of Tennessee talking with Edwards last night and feeling very confident.
How do you give Phillips or EdwRds a 7 figure deal without doing something equally significant for JJJ and SV? These 2 guys are the heart and soul of the team. Just makes me wonder how much NIL money they will throw at the basketball team? I thought they might get as much as $50K based on what was floated for KC

How do you give Phillips or EdwRds a 7 figure deal without doing something equally significant for JJJ and SV? These 2 guys are the heart and soul of the team. Just makes me wonder how much NIL money they will throw at the basketball team? I thought they might get as much as $50K based on what was floated for KC

I bet that they’ll both make some money. They just aren’t going to get a 7 figure deal this far into their careers. N-I-L is the Wild West right now, but apparently throwing a 7 figure deal (with the one time free transfer) at upper class men must still get teams in hot water with the NCAA.

I bet that they’ll both make some money. They just aren’t going to get a 7 figure deal this far into their careers. N-I-L is the Wild West right now, but apparently throwing a 7 figure deal (with the one time free transfer) at upper class men must still get teams in hot water with the NCAA.
Hard to imagine paying a HS recruit more than the guys who’ve been toting your water for 3 years. That could be a real wedge driver in the locker room.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Think it's obvious this is going to be a battle for Edwards up until the moment he announces.

If he goes to Kentucky, oh well! Barnes and staff have done literally everything they could have. You have Barnes going to Edwards's games while UK sends out assistant coaches. If I had to say where Edwards is going, I'd say Tennessee, however, if he doesn't come here, at the end of the day, realize the kid is choosing to play for a big brand name school and that's just that.

Barnes has been doing a hell of a recruiting job here. The fact that we have been able to land athletes like Chandler, Phillips, etc is incredible

Hard to imagine paying a HS recruit more than the guys who’ve been toting your water for 3 years. That could be a real wedge driver in the locker room.

Anytime a one-and-done is added it could be disruptive. Actually, for all we know, JJJ and SV could have some pretty lucrative deals inked. Spyre could be doing all sorts of deals that aren’t public knowledge - they are private agreements and the NCAA doesn’t have jurisdiction. Apparently Iamaleava’s deal could have and should have been kept quiet. It did get a ton of publicity though which wasn’t a bad thing with football trying to become relevant.

Reactions: berryvol

Ok. Nothing to do with 23 recruiting

Right or wrong, NIL is going to be much like the NBA Draft; potential, potential, potential. If JJJ were coming out of high school, this year, he'd probably command north of $500k. But he has three years of production that says he's more of a top-100 level player than a top-25. The fact that he was a 5* and is about to enter his senior year is an indictment on him. Those kinds of players don't reset the market. Just like his draft stock has taken a hit, so has his NIL valuation.

Right or wrong, NIL is going to be much like the NBA Draft; potential, potential, potential. If JJJ were coming out of high school, this year, he'd probably command north of $500k. But he has three years of production that says he's more of a top-100 level player than a top-25. The fact that he was a 5* and is about to enter his senior year is an indictment on him. Those kinds of players don't reset the market. Just like his draft stock has taken a hit, so has his NIL valuation.
Not only that but I imagine it takes less money to entice a kid who clearly loves his team, coach, and school to stay than it does to coax a kid with no connection whatsoever to come

Reactions: cncchris33
It puts a smile on my face to feel like we are finally able to legally outbid the Auburns and UK’s of the world, after all these years of being the brides maid.

It puts a smile on my face to feel like we are finally able to legally outbid the Auburns and UK’s of the world, after all these years of being the brides maid.
Yup and Cal doesn’t have it as easy as he did during the the William Wesley days when he could pay the top players like D Rose, Wall, Cousins, etc.

Reactions: i2amavol
The reason recruits are more highly prized than veterans by NiL in most cases is because the ceiling is capped for the multi-year guys in how famous they will get. If you can be associated from an advertising standpoint with someone who becomes a superstar in the NBA/NFL you're going to jump on that more heavily than if you're going to a gig overseas or not getting to play pro football. Say local business X does a commercial featuring Phillips and he's an NBA All-Star type player in a couple of years, that association will retain value. Not sure how long any NiL rights last, but if you can run that commercial for 4 or 5 years, that would be a grand slam for value. Same with football. How many places would loved to have signed Eric Berry or Peyton and been able to use a commercial with them a couple years into their NFL careers.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back