Transfer Portal for Universities?

VOL89grad

With USC/UCLA move to bigX, seems like there may be a need for a “new” transfer portal to provide some sort of common rule set for the ongoing re-alignments. With presumably UW, UO, ND, and perhaps some random ACC schools not wanting to be left out of the big boy club, I’m thinking a possible next step in the conference evolution may be for a school to “buy-out” an existing conference member school (especially once the new TV deals are made).

Reactions: b_gann
I don’t think so. The buyouts will be unthinkable. And the revenue spectacular. I think you see the Big 10 and SEC expand to 24 a piece. Teams are pledging allegiance to their futures with their current moves.

?

Have you heard something about the ACC?
Just some of their teams will have to realign to stay relevant. Duke, Wake, BC don’t cut it with SOS in the playoff picture. I have little respect for Clemson fans from a bowl game years ago. But in my opinion the SEC will end up a 24 team conference, on SEC and Big 10 survive.

Just some of their teams will have to realign to stay relevant. Duke, Wake, BC don’t cut it with SOS in the playoff picture. I have little respect for Clemson fans from a bowl game years ago. But in my opinion the SEC will end up a 24 team conference, on SEC and Big 10 survive.
Could see SEC picking up Oregon, Wash, Clem, Fl St, Miami, Ok St, but who are the last 2 to get us to 24?

Could see SEC picking up Oregon, Wash, Clem, Fl St, Miami, Ok St, but who are the last 2 to get us to 24?
The ACC is our one-stop shop for the next stage of expansion, I think. Forget Oklahoma and the left coast. Instead, we'll probably take the heart of the ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Miami, UNC, Duke, NC State, (maybe Wake Forest if the NC political leadership get involved), Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

For some of those, you gotta think beyond football to basketball. Adding Virginia and Duke may not move the meter a whole lot on the gridiron. But it adds to the prestige of the conference between December and April, for sure.

Go Vols!

I see ND officially joining the ACC before I see them joining the SEC. If the ACC somehow convinced ND to join, that would be a HUGE shot in the arm for that conference and go a long way in retaining Clemson, Miami, FSU, etc.
Yeah, I agree. Unless the SEC raids the ACC ahead of the Irish joining.

Notre Dame football would not join a gutted ACC. So the race is to see which happens first.

My money says ND will hem and haw long enough to find themselves caught outside alone, the ACC (minus Clemson, FSU, maybe Miami and/or the NC schools) looking more and more like the old Big East just before it died. Then ND will finally realize it's scary out in the cold, and go meekly to the B10.

That's the scenario I'd put my money on.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree. Unless the SEC raids the ACC ahead of the Irish joining.

Notre Dame football would not join a gutted ACC. So the race is to see which happens first.

My money says ND will hem and haw long enough to find themselves caught outside alone, the ACC (minus Clemson, FSU, maybe Miami and/or the NC schools) looking more and more like the old Big East just before it died. Then ND will finally realize it's scary out in the cold, and go meekly to the B10.

That's the scenario I'd put my money on.
This is a very interesting scenario. ND is the last marquee program without a home and they hold a LOT of leverage. However that leverage has a finite window with the way things are happening now in college football. I think they know their days of being independent are numbered and I'm sure they are weighing their options, but they can't drag their feet for too long. The ACC to me makes the most sense because its less competitive than the SEC and Big 10 and they would immediately become the "big fish" darling program for them. If they join the SEC or Big 10, they're just another logo and would get swallowed in those conferences. They would wind up where Nebraska is now.

This might be a more interesting question. If ND goes to the ACC, who goes with them? The addition of ND would put the ACC at 15 and I doubt they would want to have an odd number of schools in their conference. Who would join ND? My money would be on West Virginia.

The ACC is our one-stop shop for the next stage of expansion, I think. Forget Oklahoma and the left coast. Instead, we'll probably take the heart of the ACC: Clemson, Florida State, Miami, UNC, Duke, NC State, (maybe Wake Forest if the NC political leadership get involved), Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

For some of those, you gotta think beyond football to basketball. Adding Virginia and Duke may not move the meter a whole lot on the gridiron. But it adds to the prestige of the conference between December and April, for sure.

Go Vols!
Unfortunately, I’m not quite sure that the SEC is looking beyond football.
GBO!!

FSU, Miami, and Clemson bring zero additional value to a TV/media megadeal. UF brings the whole state of Florida into play for tv ratings, and Clemson's geographical area is the same as USCe. And I don't think it matters much to add FSU and Clemson just to keep them out of the B1G. WVA brings no value for a tv deal. No metro area of value and low population without desirable demographics for tv advertisers.

UNC, and NcSt bring 10 million new viewers in North Carolina and VaTech is dominant in TV ratings for the 9 million people in VA and splits the 10 million viewers in the Washington DC/Baltimore metro area (some of those viewers overlap) with UMaryland.

Those three school would be the SEC's first targets. UNC is one of those upper echelon academic schools, so there would probably be a bidding war between the SEC, B1G, and ACC for their membership. And it had been assumed UNC and Duke are a pakcage deal, but tell that to CAL who was supposedly joined at the hip with UCLA. In the present atmosphere of 9 figure payouts for Conference schools from these tv deals, a UNC/Duke divorce would be arranged.

FSU, Miami, and Clemson bring zero additional value to a TV/media megadeal. UF brings the whole state of Florida into play for tv ratings, and Clemson's geographical area is the same as USCe. And I don't think it matters much to add FSU and Clemson just to keep them out of the B1G. WVA brings no value for a tv deal. No metro area of value and low population without desirable demographics for tv advertisers.

UNC, and NcSt bring 10 million new viewers in North Carolina and VaTech is dominant in TV ratings for the 9 million people in VA and splits the 10 million viewers in the Washington DC/Baltimore metro area (some of those viewers overlap) with UMaryland.

Those three school would be the SEC's first targets. UNC is one of those upper echelon academic schools, so there would probably be a bidding war between the SEC, B1G, and ACC for their membership. And it had been assumed UNC and Duke are a pakcage deal, but tell that to CAL who was supposedly joined at the hip with UCLA. In the present atmosphere of 9 figure payouts for Conference schools from these tv deals, a UNC/Duke divorce would be arranged.

I still cannot believe UCLA went with USC to the Big Ten and not Oregon.

I still cannot believe UCLA went with USC to the Big Ten and not Oregon.
It is ALL about tv ratings. The Rose Bowl may be half empty when they play, but their tv ratings are huge in the 24 million population area of LA/Southern California corridor. In that area UCLA ranks #1 in football tv ratings. Oregon doesn't bring that at all. The population of Oregon is 4.2 million.

And it is a big deal that UCLA has 3x the alumni of USC. USC is not the big draw there.

Go Vols!
???

Oklahoma is already moving to the SEC...

I can totally see a scenario where college football morphs into 4 super conferences (PAC 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10) by picking off the remaining schools from the big 12. Then the group of 5 conferences will become the group of 4 by doing similar consolidation.

I can totally see a scenario where college football morphs into 4 super conferences (PAC 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10) by picking off the remaining schools from the big 12. Then the group of 5 conferences will become the group of 4 by doing similar consolidation.
That's where I saw the league going a year or two ago.

But the USC & UCLA move this month put us past that. Pretty clear the PAC and B12 will both fall into Group of 5 level mediocrity. I think we're headed to two super-conferences. Maybe the ACC will hold out as a third. Maybe not.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back