‘23 GA DL Tyree Weathersby (Tennessee)

Great pickup!

Also - can’t wait to check back into this thread if this could gets a ratings bump in the fall.

Reactions: bigvol67
Here's what some people don't understand about recruiting. The recruiting sites and network ratings of players are for the fans. Then you have the coaches' recruiting board, which is very much like the draft board for NFL organizations. The coaches (and their recruiting analysts and assistants) have watched every bit of film, talked to coaches and teachers, built relationships with the kids and their families, and in most cases have evaluated these kids in person. All of this is taken into account when they make their board. A consensus 3* on the recruiting sites may be a high 4* to a coaching staff with all the info they have. I won't make this post longer than it is currently, but I hope this helps someone a little bit.
You get a coach that recruits based on recruiting service ratings, and you're in trouble.

Cough...Butch
Cough, cough...Jones
Cough

View attachment 468992
Rodney garner knows more than you
All joking aside... no doubt he does. My comments are pretty much what anyone can see.

OTOH, they've probably worked him out and have assessed they can improve him. They have an idea about his potential and coachability beyond a few highlight videos.

I guess that I'm saying is that even though we have access to a few things including a player's rating.... RG has a lot more info to make an accurate eval plus better and more experience.

Looks a little raw but he appears to have good speed and power for a guy his size. He doesn't play well with his hands.

Something Garner specializes in is using hands.

This guy is still fighting off blocks and running wide being able to chase down RBs.

Plays with a mean streak too. And he's long. Long arms. Long arms cause batted passes at LOS. Long arms are the diffrence in getting home to the QB just as he was about to throw the ball.

Not sure what his vertical or 40 is, but wouldn't be surprised if UGA and Bama try to come at this kid in the 11th hour.

Here's what some people don't understand about recruiting. The recruiting sites and network ratings of players are for the fans. Then you have the coaches' recruiting board, which is very much like the draft board for NFL organizations. The coaches (and their recruiting analysts and assistants) have watched every bit of film, talked to coaches and teachers, built relationships with the kids and their families, and in most cases have evaluated these kids in person. All of this is taken into account when they make their board. A consensus 3* on the recruiting sites may be a high 4* to a coaching staff with all the info they have. I won't make this post longer than it is currently, but I hope this helps someone a little bit.
That's true. You left out the actual "recruiting services" that programs use. They don't do all the work themselves. REAL experts in player talent and potential create profiles for these players with almost as much thoroughness as an FBI background check.

Reactions: KptVFL
That's true. You left out the actual "recruiting services" that programs use. They don't do all the work themselves. REAL experts in player talent and potential create profiles for these players with almost as much thoroughness as an FBI background check.

So THAT's why I never got recruited...

Something Garner specializes in is using hands.

This guy is still fighting off blocks and running wide being able to chase down RBs.

Plays with a mean streak too. And he's long. Long arms. Long arms cause batted passes at LOS. Long arms are the diffrence in getting home to the QB just as he was about to throw the ball.

Not sure what his vertical or 40 is, but wouldn't be surprised if UGA and Bama try to come at this kid in the 11th hour.
Yeah. He does a couple of things you don't teach. He's fast and has good lateral footwork. If we had access to long strips of film, I suspect he gets beat by letting guys get to his body.

After working out with RG, he will probably play more with his hands... which might well attract more attention.

Here's another way to look at it.

He's the 64th ranked DT on 247 sports. 14 spots behind the last 4 star ranked 50th.

Now much difference is there really between him and those low 4 stars?

A lot less of a difference between him and the lowest 3 star ranked 155th

This guy is practically a 4 star and could be upgraded to being one in the fall. Either way.

All you really have to say is

Rodney Garner.
Just say Rodney Garner.

That other stuff you mentioned doesn't mean much. Look at North Carolina's prospects and see how they're WRs are ranked nationally. They're like a few spots away fron each other. And it's purely based off because the fact they live in the same state haha. Not actually grading thim against players in Texas, California, Georgia etc...

Recruiting services are for fans.

Yeah. He does a couple of things you don't teach. He's fast and has good lateral footwork. If we had access to long strips of film, I suspect he gets beat by letting guys get to his body.

After working out with RG, he will probably play more with his hands... which might well attract more attention.
He's going to have a strong SR year with Garner in his ear.
Absolutely.

Yep, another undiscovered gem. Let’s hope all the sunshine pumpers are right.
Not necessarily an undiscovered gem, but too many people see 3* and assume that a kid isn't very good. Wait to see if offers start rolling in or if other teams try to steal him during his senior year. What's funny to me is that a kid will be a 4* according to the recruiting services and all major schools will back off on his recruitment, yet so many here will be clamoring for our coaches to go after him. Gotta love Volnation.

Not necessarily an undiscovered gem, but too many people see 3* and assume that a kid isn't very good. Wait to see if offers start rolling in or if other teams try to steal him during his senior year. What's funny to me is that a kid will be a 4* according to the recruiting services and all major schools will back off on his recruitment, yet so many here will be clamoring for our coaches to go after him. Gotta love Volnation.
Facts lol.

VN Store

Back