'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

There’s a lot of elite defensive tackles who go in the first round with questions around their consistency.
To me there are more red flags than just consistency. 4 different high schools in 4 years. Rumors of the family going to each school in Knoxville wanting best offer for son for senior year. Then turning around and basically doing the same thing in college. There were also rumors about some of his stipulations for joining whatever high school for his senior year such as unlimited access to phone, flexibility on going to 1st period, etc.

Again, I realize some of this is just rumors, but at some point you have to question the amount of smoke that surrounds this kid.

Nolen is a problem. He was always going to be a malcontent mercenary player. Texas A&M and him deserve each other.

The more his recruitment played out, the more I agree. The NIL is going to be a catch-22 for a lot of programs, may ours as well. The "mercenary" type players who are only there because of the lure of the $$ will start wondering why they are not getting as much as the guy in the next locker. College locker rooms are much more fragile than Pro's. It's going to bite some programs in the azz imo.

I've seen a few rumors like that on different teams' boards about players that chose A&M last year over X school. It could be that there is already massive discontent in their locker room, or it could be that universal human condition known as sour grapes. I guess time will tell.
It’s about to be common at a lot of places.
When University X’s, Sr stud defensive end is getting $10k from shirts and appearance fees but the high school defensive end is getting $50k just to commit.
Human nature...

Reactions: TC 83
To me there are more red flags than just consistency. 4 different high schools in 4 years. Rumors of the family going to each school in Knoxville wanting best offer for son for senior year. Then turning around and basically doing the same thing in college. There were also rumors about some of his stipulations for joining whatever high school for his senior year such as unlimited access to phone, flexibility on going to 1st period, etc.

Again, I realize some of this is just rumors, but at some point you have to question the amount of smoke that surrounds this kid.

I don’t find any of that alarming.

Reactions: YNWAvols
The more his recruitment played out, the more I agree. The NIL is going to be a catch-22 for a lot of programs, may ours as well. The "mercenary" type players who are only there because of the lure of the $$ will start wondering why they are not getting as much as the guy in the next locker. College locker rooms are much more fragile than Pro's. It's going to bite some programs in the azz imo.

Some guys getting paid and others not has always been a part of the college locker room dynamic

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind
We have had success recruiting California quarterbacks way before NIL
We were alot better then though. At this point in time, the $ is likely what got Nico's attention and got our foot in the door, but he wouldn't have committed if he didn't also like the staff and the locale. The fanbase and probably some co-ed's also stepped up and "showed him the love" also. If he brings us a natty after all we've been through he'll have been worth it all and will have quasi-immortal status in the State of Tennessee.

Last edited:
We were alot better then though. At this point in time, the $ is likely what got Nico's attention and got our foot in the door, but he wouldn't have committed if he didn't also like the staff and the locale. The fanbase and probably some co-ed's also stepped up and "showed him the love". If he brings us a natty after all we've been through he'll have been worth it all and will have quasi-immortal status in the State of Tennessee.
And they were a big reason why.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Players that are all about the money but don’t put in the work aren’t worth it. Nobody should base their choice solely on the most money. If they do it probably isn’t going to turn out well. While there may be a few that do that I think most look at the entire picture. Can the staff develop the players, does the school have great facilities and does it have a good academic support system. Do they like the area that they will be living. I think our staff looks not only at the player but also the person. GBO!!!!

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back