'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

Have a buddy whose a Texas fan (Texas grad) telling me there was some rumblings of Walter Nolen being homesick and feeling lied to by A&M. Obv just message board stuff on their end from a rival, but who knows, could be a fire from the smoke
I predicted they wouldn’t KEEP every DL signee in that class for a calendar year…human science.

Just in case anyone still thought Nolen passing up the hometown school and the top DL coach in the country wasn’t about the $$$$.

Well in fairness I think we’re absolutely doing the same think. We were just late to the party with Walter. I think we’re trying to do it within some guidelines of the rule which means creating a collective etc. it feels like our NLI program is firing on all cylinders now. Wish we’d have gotten him but oh well. We’re recruiting really well now.

Last edited:
Well I’m fairness I think we’re absolutely doing the same think. We were just late to the party with Walter. I think we’re trying to do it within some guidelines of the rule which means creating a collective etc. it feels like our NLI program is firing on all cylinders now. Wish we’d have gotten him but oh well. We’re recruiting really well now.
He very well could enter the portal if he’s disgruntled there. Especially if we can manage to go 9-3

Well I’m fairness I think we’re absolutely doing the same think. We were just late to the party with Walter. I think we’re trying to do it within some guidelines of the rule which means creating a collective etc. it feels like our NLI program is firing on all cylinders now. Wish we’d have gotten him but oh well. We’re recruiting really well now.
Like it's always been, there's a difference between doing it and being caught doing it.

Have a buddy whose a Texas fan (Texas grad) telling me there was some rumblings of Walter Nolen being homesick and feeling lied to by A&M. Obv just message board stuff on their end from a rival, but who knows, could be a fire from the smoke
I've seen a few rumors like that on different teams' boards about players that chose A&M last year over X school. It could be that there is already massive discontent in their locker room, or it could be that universal human condition known as sour grapes. I guess time will tell.

I've seen a few rumors like that on different teams' boards about players that chose A&M last year over X school. It could be that there is already massive discontent in their locker room, or it could be that universal human condition known as sour grapes. I guess time will tell.
When guys decide to play for a team based mostly on money, I think we’ll see a lot of homesickness. It’s just like one of us taking a job in a different city just because of a bump in salary. After a few months you discover that money indeed does not buy happiness and you start missing your lower paying job back home.

It feels like Nico is building relationships with the staff and other players, but I worry that a Californian in east Tennessee with a big NIL factor in recruitment could miss home a few months in too. It’s going to be a crazy few years as everyone feels out NIL and the portal.

When guys decide to play for a team based mostly on money, I think we’ll see a lot of homesickness. It’s just like one of us taking a job in a different city just because of a bump in salary. After a few months you discover that money indeed does not buy happiness and you start missing your lower paying job back home.

It feels like Nico is building relationships with the staff and other players, but I worry that a Californian in east Tennessee with a big NIL factor in recruitment could miss home a few months in too. It’s going to be a crazy few years as everyone feels out NIL and the portal.
We have had success recruiting California quarterbacks way before NIL

I would love to see them gain a reputation of broken promises and empty bags.

I take it you have never lived in California, it is great, but it is expensive and Californians know everything. He will not get Homesick.

Have been seeing this as well. Also heard that Daddy Nolen has been wanting to "renegotiate" the deal for Walter.

I would love to see them gain a reputation of broken promises and empty bags.

Total speculation, but there were a lot of rumors last cycle about recruits getting paid with thumb drives of Bitcoin (feel free to laugh at the old if that can't be a thing technologically). With the crash in Crypto, I wonder if that is playing a role here.

Not everybody gets homesick buddy😂😂not even close. I travel for work mainly for money and have never got homesick. And his family is moving to Tennessee

For the "bump" in salary these kids are getting fresh out of hi-school, it would be tough, but I believe I could live with it...

Nolen is a problem. He was always going to be a malcontent mercenary player. Texas A&M and him deserve each other.
De1Conley said Garner’s pitch was whatever you can get from Spyre and I’ll coach you…take it or leave it. Referenced it as “bungled” but in retrospect it could be interpreted as Garner not big on tails wagging dogs. Since the Jay Hardy recruitment I’ve noticed a difference in Garner’s stance. Talented kid not as talented in buying in=not worth it.

The kid who’s yet to even go through a fall camp? Seems you’re making a premature and uninformed opinion
You're not wrong. However during his recruitment I remember sports journalists openly questioning the consistency of his effort on the field. Very talented. Maybe he played down to competition a bit. But I feel more comfortable with what we heard in bowl prep about the kids UT ended up with than with some of those question marks on Nolan.

You're not wrong. However during his recruitment I remember sports journalists openly questioning the consistency of his effort on the field. Very talented. Maybe he played down to competition a bit. But I feel more comfortable with what we heard in bowl prep about the kids UT ended up with than with some of those question marks on Nolan.

There’s a lot of elite defensive tackles who go in the first round with questions around their consistency.

VN Store

Back